Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Element
It's ugly ass B.Walton

Element has decent reputation
Default Crooked basket

Does it mess up my shot if I practice on a crooked basket?

It's the only one available atm
Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Crooked basket

Growing up I played basketball at a lot of shitty-ass hoops.

I didn't realize until my late teens how much it was fucking up my jump shot.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Jameerthefear
JameerxManaka

Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yes. Muscle memory will be off.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I support it. If it's the only basket you have, working on that one is certainly better than working on no basket at all. Yes, a part of muscle memory is accustoming oneself to the proper amount of force it may take to knock down, say, a 15 foot jumper and that force could differ from playing on a 10 foot rim in comparison to playing on a rim bent down to 9'8'', but that's only part of the equation.

A bent rim can still provide ample opportunity to work on just about every other part of your game. As mentioned, the strength memory may be thrown slightly askew, but making that adjustment (once you're back on a true 10ft. bucket) will likely be easier than many like to think it'd be. Also, a bent rim would still allow you to work and practice the correct shooting form.

In truth, most outdoor rims out there (and even many indoor rims) are not precisely 10ft. The outdoor buckets I play on vary from being a bit below 10ft. to being a little bit above 10ft. And in the end, once I get back into a gym (with a true 10 foot goal) there's a bit of an adjustment I have to make at first, but everything seems to fall in line pretty well once I warm up.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Element
It's ugly ass B.Walton

Element has decent reputation

Thanks, I see. The rim I'm talking about is bent downwards. It's easier to shoot from straightawa on it than with other rims, on the other hand shots from sideways are much tougher to hit because if you don't swish them they'll pretty much bounce out half the time due to the weird angle.
Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Shoot. Everywhere, anywhere, every chance you get. Learning to unconsciously adjust for a bent rim is the same as adjusting to a shot blocker or any other impediment or distraction.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat cool

im pretty sure larry bird's peach basket was not a regulation sized hoop. and look how he turned out
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
im pretty sure larry bird's peach basket was not a regulation sized hoop. and look how he turned out

That was fucking Larry Bird, man.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Bandito
pauk's stan

Bandito has an incredible reputation hereBandito has an incredible reputation hereBandito has an incredible reputation hereBandito has an incredible reputation hereBandito has an incredible reputation hereBandito has an incredible reputation hereBandito has an incredible reputation here

It is going to make up your shot but it is the only basket you have, it is better than nothing.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation here

Not to derail the thread, but the first time I seen this from the main page, I thought it said cooked brisket.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
360crazy
I hit open layups

360crazy has an OK reputation so far

Practice? We're talking about practice?

Practice doesn't do anything.
360crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #12
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Don't sit on your hands and worry about your shot. Fix the damn basket. That's what I always do, and did when I was a kid. It doesn't take long, especially if you have a few friends helping you out.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: