Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
JimmyMcAdocious
NBA rookie of the year

JimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Rings Aside, Who's better? Duncan or Malone?

No doubt Jordan added to the mystique of Malone choking because someone had to win those games. But it wasn't Jordan who allowed him to have huge first halfs in the Finals only to disappear in the second half.

Game 1 of the 1997 Finals he goes to the line with the game tied and misses both free throws. Jordan hits the game winner at the buzzer.

1997 with the series tied 2-2, he hits only one shot in the entire second half at home. This, the current MVP with Jordan playing sick on the other end. A great juxtaposition.

Game 2 of the NBA Finals in 1998, he fails to make a single bucket in the second half. I believe it was still a one possession game with under a minute left too.

Probably others as well. Those examples are just the most notable Finals performances he had. Of course, he also had some big games in big moments. It's that you can't really have an MVP, at his peak, in the biggest stage, producing so many games like that in such a small window. For the level of player he was, he's a choker.

I do think he gets a bit underrated on this board, tho. Partly because he couldn't win the big one, partly because he is an asshole human being.

Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious : 06-22-2013 at 07:54 PM.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Duncan is a Center.

That said, Duncan > Malone
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Solefade
College star

Solefade has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
Duncan is a Center.

That said, Duncan > Malone

Solefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
Ancient Legend
Possessed by B-Ball

Ancient Legend is a pretty well-respected posterAncient Legend is a pretty well-respected posterAncient Legend is a pretty well-respected poster

Accomplishments:
Duncan>Malone>KG>Barkley

Prime:
Barkley>Malone>Duncan>KG

Overall:
Duncan>Barkley>Malone>KG
Ancient Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

not sure if trolling

Duncan
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #21
SamuraiSWISH
Samurai Swoosh

SamuraiSWISH is a pretty well-respected posterSamuraiSWISH is a pretty well-respected posterSamuraiSWISH is a pretty well-respected poster

Duncan is a CENTER so the comparison makes no sense.

Anyway, it's this simple.

Offense - Mailman
Defense - Duncan

Overall, PUSH imo. That's without Rings in consideration on the resume.

Duncan is quickly becoming overrated. I never thought he was better than Garnett, and I know for certain he isn't better than Shaq or Hakeem. Hell, there is times I debate if he's better than Ewing or David Robinson.
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #22
Kews1
BostonCeltics

Kews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
Duncan is quickly becoming overrated. I never thought he was better than Garnett, and I know for certain he isn't better than Shaq or Hakeem. Hell, there is times I debate if he's better than Ewing or David Robinson.

I suppose you could debate Garnett, Shaq and Hakeem. But you cant be serious about Ewing and Robinson
Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #23
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Duncan was as effective an offensive player. His ability to run an offense through him and produce quality looks is as good (I believe better) than Malones.

Defense is not even close. Duncan is also a better rebounder.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
Anaximandro1
High School Varsity 6th Man

Anaximandro1 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Duncan was entering his senior season at Wake Forest in the summer of 1996 when he faced his future teammate for the first time.

"We played against them when I was playing on the Olympic team," Robinson told USA TODAY Sports. "He played against me, Hakeem (Olajuwon) and Shaq. He was so smooth, and he had 22 points made it look easy against us. I kind of thought at that time, 'This kid's a little bit better than I think.' When he came to San Antonio, right away I could see he's going to be one of the great ones."

Defense - Duncan

Offense - Duncan.He is a better offensive player in halfcourt.Duncan is better at creating his own offense,drawing double teams and creating open shots for the perimeter players.He was the Spurs' playmaker and scorer in the early 2000s.

Duncan has one of the highest peak of all time, but the average fan knows nothing about the Spurs.

2003 Playoffs - Duncan's last 15 games (Spurs won the title)

27.5 pt,16.1 rb,5.4 as,3.5 blk on 54.3% FG (Spurs averaged 95.7 pt)

Quote:
G4 03 WCSF 36/9/5

G5 03 WCSF 27/14/5/1

G6 03 WCSF 37/16/4/2

G1 03 WCF 40/15/7/1

G2 03 WCF 32/15/5/3

G3 03 WCF 34/24/6/6

G4 03 WCF 21/20/7/4

G5 03 WCF 23/15/6/1

G6 03 WCF 18/11/4/3

G1 03 Finals 32/20/6/7

G2 03 Finals 19/12/3/3

G3 03 Finals 21/16/7/3

G4 03 Finals 23/17/2/7

G5 03 Finals 29/17/4/4

G6 03 Finals 21/20/10/8

Duncan usually outscores his peers in the postseason.

Duncan outscored Shaq in (1999,2002,2003,2008),Dirk in (2001,2003,2006,2009),Amare (2003,2007,2008) or Garnett (2001)

BTW Shaq played 30 playoff games against the Spurs.He only scored 30+ points four times

Quote:
Playoffs Career H2H

Duncan 25.6 pt (49%),13.0 rb,3.8 as,2.4 blk (Spurs won series 1999,2003,2008)
Shaq 22.4 pt (53%),12.8 rb,2.2 as,2.8 blk (Lakers won series 2001,2002,2004)

Duncan 26.0 pt (54%),12.3 rb,3.6 as,1.9 blk (Spurs won series 2001,2003,2010)
Dirk 24.5 pt (50%), 10.1 rb,2.3 as,0.6 blk (Mavs won series 2006,2009)

Duncan 23.8 pt (53%),13.8 rb,3.0 as,2.9 blk (Spurs won series 2003,2005,2007,2008)
Amare 24.0 pt (51%),9.2 rb,0.9 as,1.8 blk (Suns won series 2010)

37-year old Duncan outscored Howard,Pau Gasol,Z Bo and Marc Gasol during the playoffs.

old-man Duncan outscored Bosh 54-10 in games 6+7 NBA Finals.It's business as usual.

I don't like ring counting.

However,Duncan has dominated the H2H battles against the best PF/C of the last 15 years and has won four titles w/o All NBA teammate.He dominated several generations of big men.Duncan is the modern day blend of Russell and Kareem.

I'm going to say this: LeBron is lucky that Duncan is 37 years-old

27-year old Duncan would have killed MIA in four games
Anaximandro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #25
thefatmiral
Decent playground baller

thefatmiral has decent reputation

shiiiit, should be five rings without non duncan choke in game 6, mailman was a dirty player. saw him play a lot , but for some reason nothing really memorable stands out to me, other then being strong as as an ox, and cheap.
thefatmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #26
deja vu
Form is temporary

deja vu has not been impressing people

Malone was a beast, he would be the 2nd best player in the NBA today. But I'll take Duncan because of his defensive dominance.
deja vu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #27
brain drain
Serious playground baller

brain drain has no real reputation yet.

Malone has a pretty big dropoff in his playoff production vs the regular season. He didn't deliver when it mattered.

Duncan did. End of story.
brain drain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #28
Rose'sACL
Good college starter

Rose'sACL is starting to rub some people the wrong wayRose'sACL is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu
Malone was a beast, he would be the 2nd best player in the NBA today. But I'll take Duncan because of his defensive dominance.
no, he wouldn't be the second best. I would take durant over malone against today's top team defenses. He would still do pretty well but not as well as he did in late 80s and early 90s. notice how either his PPG or FG% came down as pace of game got slower in mid 90s.
there are still really good defensive big men in the league even if they are offensively challenged. Top teams like Heat would be constructed differently if Malone played for a top contender.
Rose'sACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #29
deja vu
Form is temporary

deja vu has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
no, he wouldn't be the second best. I would take durant over malone against today's top team defenses. He would still do pretty well but not as well as he did in late 80s and early 90s. notice how either his PPG or FG% came down as pace of game got slower in mid 90s.
there are still really good defensive big men in the league even if they are offensively challenged. Top teams like Heat would be constructed differently if Malone played for a top contender.
Malone averaged 27.4 ppg and 9.9 rpg in 1997 (MVP year) and 27 ppg and 10.3 rpg in 1998. That time he was 34-35 years old. Durant is great but I consider prime Malone as better than him if he played today, although Durant might be better in the future.
deja vu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #30
Rose'sACL
Good college starter

Rose'sACL is starting to rub some people the wrong wayRose'sACL is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu
Malone averaged 27.4 ppg and 9.9 rpg in 1997 (MVP year) and 27 ppg and 10.3 rpg in 1998. That time he was 34-35 years old. Durant is great but I consider prime Malone as better than him if he played today, although Durant might be better in the future.
Against today's defenses, he would be worse than durant during playoffs. There is a reason lebron had to shoot those jumpers to win this year. Top defense now are smarter and adapt way better. Most players from the 80/90s will have drop in their stats playing in today's league in postseason. Jordan is probably the only one from 80/90s who would post very similar stats from his championship runs. Magic and bird would both have drops in PPG and APG playing in today's league during postseason.
Rose'sACL is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: