Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Kews1
BostonCeltics

Kews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default The legacy of David Stern

How do you perceive David Stern now that his era as NBA commissioner has come to and end? I think he was good overall, brought great professionalism to the NBA, handled situations like the Magic HIV etc well, benefited from Jordan being drafted in his tenure which added to the explosion of NBA popularity but i think hes done pretty well all in all.
Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
poido123
Cameron Bairstow!!

poido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: The legacy of David Stern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kews1
How do you perceive David Stern now that his era as NBA commissioner has come to and end? I think he was good overall, brought great professionalism to the NBA, handled situations like the Magic HIV etc well, benefited from Jordan being drafted in his tenure which added to the explosion of NBA popularity but i think hes done pretty well all in all.

He has managed the NBA well, whether it was ethically done or not. He has had a few question marks, like his infamous "i know where they were buried" comment, Tim Donaghy sent to jail for corruption, the supposed "bent corner" on the lottery card for Ewing, and the numerous rule changes over the years.

I never liked the guy, I suspect something may surface on him after he retires, but I'm happy he is moving on and hopefully we might see some old rules come back or better officiating standards accross the board.

I don't like him, but I respect that he has a hard job keeping alot of people happy.
poido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
RoundMoundOfReb
Top 1 NBA/NFL Mind

RoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The most dominant force the NBA has ever known. Nobody impacted games as much as him. A true ATG.
RoundMoundOfReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Kews1
BostonCeltics

Kews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected posterKews1 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by poido123
He has managed the NBA well, whether it was ethically done or not. He has had a few question marks, like his infamous "i know where they were buried" comment, Tim Donaghy sent to jail for corruption, the supposed "bent corner" on the lottery card for Ewing, and the numerous rule changes over the years.

I never liked the guy, I suspect something may surface on him after he retires, but I'm happy he is moving on and hopefully we might see some old rules come back or better officiating standards accross the board.

I don't like him, but I respect that he has a hard job keeping alot of people happy.

Im sure some things were done unethically, but im also sure its a lot less than people like to think
Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
BoutPractice
I'll pass

BoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputation

The resume speaks for itself. He's one of the most important men in the history of the sports, his name belonging in the same sentence as the likes of James Naismith and Michael Jordan.

And yes, he did more than a few questionable things to achieve the success he had, but you can say that about almost everyone who rose to the top and stayed there for so long. The "buried bodies" are only metaphorical, it's not like we're talking about a dictator.
BoutPractice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Soundwave
NBA lottery pick

Soundwave is considered somewhat coolSoundwave is considered somewhat cool

He deserves a lot of credit honestly.

Granted a lot of fans from other sports will say he's overrated because he had Michael Jordan and that drove basketball's popularity globally, but I still think Stern really changed how modern day sports are televised, marketed, etc.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

OldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputation

Great commissioner, I think a lot of fans hate him because its considered cool and they think theyre supposed to and dont really know why, like theyre rebing against the guy in charge or whatever. But hes obviously kept the game enjoyable and the league successful, what else really matters??

Last edited by OldSkoolball#52 : 06-23-2013 at 10:34 AM.
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
CarlosBoozer
"Boozer"

CarlosBoozer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCarlosBoozer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCarlosBoozer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCarlosBoozer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCarlosBoozer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCarlosBoozer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCarlosBoozer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCarlosBoozer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCarlosBoozer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCarlosBoozer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCarlosBoozer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He good
CarlosBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Ol Dirty Bastard
Local High School Star

Ol Dirty Bastard has not been impressing people

I can respect his success in turning around the NBA and his vision for what the sport of basketball can lead to word wide, however the guy runs the league like a dictator.
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
Diegio
I airball my layups

Diegio has an OK reputation so far

Respect to the guy for playing a (should i say, major?) part in NBA and basketball
Diegio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Orlando Magic
National High School Star

Orlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Three words... "For basketball reasons".

I don't think anything else can so adequately describe his tenure.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
lpublic_enemyl
Local High School Star

lpublic_enemyl is considered somewhat coollpublic_enemyl is considered somewhat cool

from where the nba started to where is it now, stern deserves the credit for a significant portion. He made the game huge and accessible on an international level. I will remember him as the GOAT commissioner
lpublic_enemyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
SavageMode
2EZ

SavageMode has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsSavageMode has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsSavageMode has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsSavageMode has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsSavageMode has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

Stern's greatest accolade was 2002 WCF.

GOAT Commissioner
SavageMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
MavsSuperFan
NBA rookie of the year

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

When Stern took over, werent the NBA finals broadcast on tape delay?

Look where the NBA is now. GOAT american professional sports commissioner?
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
When Stern took over, werent the NBA finals broadcast on tape delay?

Look where the NBA is now. GOAT american professional sports commissioner?

Yes they were

History will show Stern as one of the greatest sports commissioners every.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: