Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 02-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #31
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Dwight wants rim raised to 12 feet for him @ dunk contest... NBA says no...

If we have to wait 10 minutes for Nate Robinson to take 20 attempts on his dunk we can surely wait 30 seconds to adjust the rim and limit the tries to 5. This would definitely create a net loss in time wasted.

Yeah, it would be a turning point for the good. It would get people interested, it would add new wrinkles to an old product. I don't see the negative here.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #32
johndough
Great young streetballer

johndough has decent reputation
Default Re: Dwight wants rim raised to 12 feet for him @ dunk contest... NBA says no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
If we have to wait 10 minutes for Nate Robinson to take 20 attempts on his dunk we can surely wait 30 seconds to adjust the rim and limit the tries to 5. This would definitely create a net loss in time wasted.

Yeah, it would be a turning point for the good. It would get people interested, it would add new wrinkles to an old product. I don't see the negative here.

Cant say it any better than that!
johndough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #33
derrickroul
I airball my layups

derrickroul has an OK reputation so far

This is probably the start of a new allstar skill competition - who can dunk the highest. 2 attempts at a given height max. Keep raising the bar. That would be cool. Like the hardest shot in the NHL or the fastest 40 in the NFL.
derrickroul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #34
KnicksForever
I airball my layups

KnicksForever has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Possibly, but I think you may be overlooking the extent to which it is a pandora's box. In future years, every contestent might want to prepare different dunks at different rim heights. It would be a major turning point in the contest that you can never come back from.

it's a once a year type of thing. come on. and it's for entertainment.
KnicksForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #35
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Possibly, but I think you may be overlooking the extent to which it is a pandora's box. In future years, every contestent might want to prepare different dunks at different rim heights. It would be a major turning point in the contest that you can never come back from.

OH NO, the integrity of the dunk contest is threatend, a contest which allows you to try 1,000 times and scores you as if you did it the first time?

niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #36
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
OH NO, the integrity of the dunk contest is threatend, a contest which allows you to try 1,000 times and scores you as if you did it the first time?
How many dunk contests have you watched? I can only think of two years where unlmited tries were allowed, and only ONE YEAR where the extra tries weren't supposed to hurt your score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnicksForever
it's a once a year type of thing. come on. and it's for entertainment.
The whole NBA is just for entertainment - don't try and tell me that the regular season is for some greater spiritual/philosophical purpose. Part of the entertainment experience for me is being able to compare great dunkers from different years of the contest, and because of that, I wish they would settle on rules that always hold true.

They used to have a limit on how many dunks could be attempted, and then they took it away. One year they added a spin wheel and then took it away. Two years ago they added the rule that a teammate has to serve as a prop, and hopefully they will take that away as well. For a while they had six dunkers, and now they have just four.

If they add the option to change the rim height for each dunk, you'll see very quickly why it's bad for the contest, and they'll have to remove that option within two years. Here's what the rules should be now and forever.

4 dunkers, two rounds, two dunks each round.
60 second time limit for each dunk, which should be enough time to try it 3-4 times.
No restrictions on the types of dunks that can be done on a normal NBA basket and normal NBA court. If they want to bring in a teammate to toss them the ball, fine. If they want to bring in a legend to dunk over or to borrow their jersey, fine. If they want to pour a sheet of ice all over the court or change the atmosphere of the building, TOO ****ING BAD!
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #37
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here

Dwight should come out on his first attempt and bring the whole basket system crashing down to the court and be like "Don't **** with me, Dave! I told you I wanted the height adjusted..." :
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #38
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
If they add the option to change the rim height for each dunk, you'll see very quickly why it's bad for the contest

Please explain, many don't agree and have solid ideas facilitating the change in a fashion that wouldn't bring the event to a hault.

Put the other rim at 11' and move it if needed. Lots of the dunk participants wouldn't even be able to dunk on 11 or do anything worthwhile so it's not like it's a huge mess, and can't take more than a few seconds to move it considering the NBA's resources.

And the All Star game is total fan entertainment, don't equate it with the entertainment values of the regular season because they are two totally different events. Furthermore, the regular season has more than entertainment value. It is a game and has plenty of value in that sense. If not, there would be alarming changes for entertainment purposes well beyond the scope of current rule changes like hand checking.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #39
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Please explain, many don't agree and have solid ideas facilitating the change in a fashion that wouldn't bring the event to a hault.
Until I see some proof, I'm going to assume that it takes a couple minutes to move the rim, and measure it and all that. Instead of dunkers having to think of creative new dunks, they'll be trying to do last year's dunks on a 2" higher rim. I just see it as something that'd be fun to watch once in Dwight Howard's case, but detrimental long-term.

Quote:
And the All Star game is total fan entertainment, don't equate it with the entertainment values of the regular season because they are two totally different events. Furthermore, the regular season has more than entertainment value.
Get out of here! The regular season has value besides entertainment? Because it offers what? Spiritual rewards or something?
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #40
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

Did anyone hear the rumor about Dwight planning to tear the rim down?
Everyone said he would have to rig the hoop or something.
Anyone hear that?
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #41
KnicksForever
I airball my layups

KnicksForever has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Dimes A Game
Did anyone hear the rumor about Dwight planning to tear the rim down?
Everyone said he would have to rig the hoop or something.
Anyone hear that?

no but i hear you
KnicksForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:59 AM   #42
Sword.Dragons
Good High School Starter

Sword.Dragons has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Dimes A Game
LOL.

Dwight could no way do a 360 on 12 foot net.
He might just manage a between the legs on 11.5 but only just.

Who said he was going to do a 360 on a 12 foot hoop are you all jus assuming that?
Sword.Dragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:23 AM   #43
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

Raising the rim would be bush league. Harlem Globetrotter stuff. That's why the L won't do it.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #44
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board
Default Slam Dunk Contest, Saturday 8:30 PM ET, TNT

Dwight Howard

Tyrus Thomas

Gerald Green

Nate Robinson

Who ya got?
poorlilrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:22 AM   #45
JMEWLS

Default Re: Slam Dunk Contest, Saturday 8:30 PM ET, TNT

here we go Dwight, here we go !!! he WILL! win.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: