Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #46
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,962
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

I'm not too concerned with McLemore bombing workouts and interviews. I'm not concerned with him being out-of-shape. Don't get me wrong, you want a guy to be on top of things, but some of these guys don't get it at first. We all saw McLemore in college. He's a freak. He'll be in shape for the season. He obviously does not have a good inner circle and thought he'd just get drafted based on what he did in college. Might cost him a few million dollars, but he's a stud. I think he's the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft along with Bennett and Noel. Might throw Porter in there, too.

I'd take McLemore over Oladipo.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #47
The JKidd Kid
Local High School Star
 
The JKidd Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,956
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

I would take Oladipo 10 times out of 10. The guy is a better athlete than McLemore in literally every category. Also Oladipos wingspan is much more important than McLemore's height. I care more about how long your arms are than how long your neck is. Oladipo has also showed a great work ethic and hustle. He also showed that he has the ability and patience to develop a subpar part of his game, which he showed this year with his shooting.
The JKidd Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #48
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,962
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JKidd Kid
I would take Oladipo 10 times out of 10. The guy is a better athlete than McLemore in literally every category. Also Oladipos wingspan is much more important than McLemore's height. I care more about how long your arms are than how long your neck is. Oladipo has also showed a great work ethic and hustle. He also showed that he has the ability and patience to develop a subpar part of his game, which he showed this year with his shooting.

Ben McLemore
Height (in shoes): 6'5 (6'4 3/4 rounded)
Wingspan: 6'8 (6'7 3/4 rounded)
Standing Reach: 8'4 1/2
No Step Vert: 32.5''
Max Vert: 42''
Lane Agility: 11.87
3/4 Court Spirit: 3.27

Victor Oladipo
Height (in shoes): 6'4 (6'4 1/4 rounded)
Wingspan: 6'9 (6'9 1/4 rounded)
Standing Reach: 8'4 1/2
No Step Vert: 33''
Max Vert: 42''
Lane Agility: 10.69
3/4 Court Spirit: 3.25

Eh. I don't think there's a great difference athletically, especially when you consider McLemore has been getting railed for not being prepared for this draft. You could argue he wasn't prepared for that combine.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #49
FreezingTsmoove
#H3AT nation,GangGreen
 
FreezingTsmoove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,653
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanYouDigIt
Victor's defense, physical abilities, and improving offense are great traits for a young guard. Orlando better draft him #2. Ben needs a better work ethic to impress me.
Can I get a link that shows Bens bad work ethic or those who question it ?
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #50
Inferno
chill
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East Bay
Posts: 7,614
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
Can I get a link that shows Bens bad work ethic or those who question it ?

Nothing to show he has a bad one, but nothing to she has a good one like Victor. I personally think him coming to workouts out of shape is more because of his camp and inner circle than him having a bad work ethic.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #51
BoutPractice
I'll pass
 
BoutPractice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,027
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

If we drafted people based on how articulate they look in an interview setting, Derrick Rose would have been a second round pick...
BoutPractice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #52
FreezingTsmoove
#H3AT nation,GangGreen
 
FreezingTsmoove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,653
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno
Nothing to show he has a bad one, but nothing to she has a good one like Victor. I personally think him coming to workouts out of shape is more because of his camp and inner circle than him having a bad work ethic.
Just because Victor constantly speaks about his work ethic doesnt mean Mac doesnt work just as hard. Fact Mac was number 40 in the espn 100 in hs. How often do we see a player like that go from 40 in the 100 to a lock top 3 pick in the draft. That alone should speak volumes of how hard this guy works to be a great ball player.
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #53
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,962
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
Just because Victor constantly speaks about his work ethic doesnt mean Mac doesnt work just as hard. Fact Mac was number 40 in the espn 100 in hs. How often do we see a player like that go from 40 in the 100 to a lock top 3 pick in the draft. That alone should speak volumes of how hard this guy works to be a great ball player.

He looked phenomenal this season. This is just his people not having him ready and him not understanding what's expected of him. He'll learn. He's shown what he can do at the highest level of college basketball and he looked great. He didn't take the bull by the horns like Self wanted him to, but his talent was evident. People are making too much of McLemore not speaking well or articulating.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #54
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,040
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
McClemore is soooooo overrated its not even funny. He doesn't get to the line because he can't dribble for shit, he doesn't show up in big games, and he is a little undersized. the Ray Allen comparisons this guy gets at times are an absolute joke. This guy is the next Jason Richardson at best. You take Oladipo 12 times out of 10. If Cleveland didn't already have Waiters, they would probably take him as he is a great compliment to Irving.
That is really what concerns me most about McLemore, to be perfectly honest. It's not his horrible interviewing skills or being out of shape or being outplayed by marginal prospects in workouts.

In today's NBA, guards need to be versatile. Think of all the best 2s in the NBA over the last decade... Be it Wade, Kobe, Harden, whoever...

Those guys are all capable of initiating the offense if they have to and even splitting time at the 1 if need be. McLemore's suspect handles and lack of playmaking skills make him very limited in how he can attack a defense. If he's going to be Rip Hamilton, fine. He's going to need to absolutely perfect playing off the ball to do so, though, and that is a tough thing to count on. Hamilton had that down to a science. If he's going to be the next Ray Allen, fine... But, he's going to have to become arguably the greatest shooter of all-time. He can shoot, but can he shoot like that?

It's a stretch. McLemore looks like a young Jason Richardson to me.

I'd be much more comfortable with Oladipo, who probably would be capable of running an offense if he had to. Some have even speculated he is a good enough defender to play the 3. I'm not sure about that at his size, but it does show that he's a versatile player. That's a very important trait in today's league.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #55
veilside23
alternick = loser :D
 
veilside23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: P.I.
Posts: 3,688
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

ben mclemore is not jason richardson part 2 .. even if he is so does that mean that oladipo ceiling is higher than jrich ? if that is the case cavs should take him. Draft work outs is moot specially if you know that this kid can do better...

Beasley had a monster draft work outs shooting and dunking over people ...
T rob had impressive work outs and a hell of a work ethic where is he now?

There is a reason that mclemore was touted as the best coming out of this draft by alot of scouts... if they thought oladipo was better then his name would have appeapred but i guess not .
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #56
Inferno
chill
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East Bay
Posts: 7,614
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
Just because Victor constantly speaks about his work ethic doesnt mean Mac doesnt work just as hard. Fact Mac was number 40 in the espn 100 in hs. How often do we see a player like that go from 40 in the 100 to a lock top 3 pick in the draft. That alone should speak volumes of how hard this guy works to be a great ball player.

I'm not denying Ben's work ethic. All I said is Victor's seems to be larger just from their interviews, and I can be completely wrong for all we know.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #57
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,040
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside23
ben mclemore is not jason richardson part 2 .. even if he is so does that mean that oladipo ceiling is higher than jrich ? if that is the case cavs should take him. Draft work outs is moot specially if you know that this kid can do better...

Beasley had a monster draft work outs shooting and dunking over people ...
T rob had impressive work outs and a hell of a work ethic where is he now?

There is a reason that mclemore was touted as the best coming out of this draft by alot of scouts... if they thought oladipo was better then his name would have appeapred but i guess not .
God knows scouts are never wrong. You gave a perfect example in Thomas Robinson. Same with Beasley. Those guys weren't considered elite prospects just because of workouts. Both guys were consdiered elite prospects all season long, just like McLemore.

I really don't see your point. Are you saying the guy who rises up draft boards the further we get along into this process are never as good as the guys considered the best prospects during the season?

Damon Lillard and Dion Waiters were both guys who skyrocketed up draft boards after the season last year. One guy won the ROY and the other was First Team All-Rookie. They were the two highest scoring rookies in the league, too.

The same thing happened with Russell Westbrook and countless others. I guess OKC should have just taken Jerryd Bayless because he was ranked higher during the season, right?

This process is in place for a reason.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 06-25-2013 at 08:54 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #58
veilside23
alternick = loser :D
 
veilside23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: P.I.
Posts: 3,688
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
God knows scouts are never wrong. You gave a perfect example in Thomas Robinson. Same with Beasley. Those guys weren't considered elite prospects just because of workouts. Both guys were consdiered elite prospects all season long, just like McLemore.

I really don't see your point. Are you saying the guy who rises up draft boards the further we get along into this process are never as good as the guys considered the best prospects during the season?

Damon Lillard and Dion Waiters were both guys who skyrocketed up draft boards after the season last year. One guy won the ROY and the other was First Team All-Rookie. They were the two highest scoring rookies in the league, too.

The same thing happened with Russell Westbrook and countless others. I guess OKC should have just taken Jerryd Bayless because he was ranked higher during the season, right?

This process is in place for a reason.


robinson is like oladipo that has stayed in college for longer than mclemore. so definitely their game is more polished thats my point i dont know if oladipo's game will have a better impact that mclemore at the pro's. defensively yes. but what is the guy's ceiling ?

mclemore on the other hand is compared to a ray allen or jrich.
not saying he will reach it but the guy has a smooth stroke already.
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #59
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated
 
WWRWestbrookDo?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,484
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Oladipo will be the better pro.

I wouldn't pick either though. Just take Anthony Bennett
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #60
Inferno
chill
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East Bay
Posts: 7,614
Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Bump. Draft day. Who goes first, and to who?
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy