Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 06-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Why do you love/hate Grand Theft Auto IV?

I've noticed that there are plenty of people on this sub-forum who strongly dislike GTA IV.

It's my favorite game of all-time, so obviously the hate doesn't seem justified to me. So please go ahead and justify your love/hate for it.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Why do you love/hate Grand Theft Auto IV?

I loved it the first time it was released. It was a great gaming experience. I loved exploring the city, playing through the story, everything.

However, after I completed the storyline, things seemed to dry up relatively quickly. The omissions I initially overlooked eventually became evident. It was a great and dense city, but "free" options felt limited. No planes, nothing but city stacked on city, no countryside, limited dressing options - just a general drop in random things found in previous titles that kept games like that fresh.

I have a hard time playing the game now. I re-started the storyline but I'm no longer engaged. It feels like there's this big world out there in the game, but it almost all just feels like art now. Like, there's an amusement park, but it can't be used. There's tons and tons of buildings, but only a fraction can be entered, and they almost all feel the same. The general sense of discovery and wonder seems a little limited in comparison to other sandbox games.

In contrast, Red Dead Redemption still has me going. And that's my hope for GTA V. The re-introduction of different environments should be big (i.e. not just dense city, but countryside, desert, boondocks, etc.). I like when I can get lost in games like this while doing things not at all related to story. In RDR, oftentimes it's hunting. It sounds like that'll be returning for FTA V, so that's a good sign.

Basically, GTA IV was great when it was all fresh, but it aged quickly for me.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I just found Liberty City to be a dull environment to be in for so long compared to San Andreas or the world of Red Dead Redemption. I really wasn't that invested in Niko as a protagonist either.

But really, it was an amazing overall game and better than 95% of other games out there. Despite my personal preferences, it was an awesome technical achievement and the core GTA gameplay was as great as ever.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
Goliath Uterus
average size weiner

Goliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I just found Liberty City to be a dull environment to be in for so long compared to San Andreas or the world of Red Dead Redemption. I really wasn't that invested in Niko as a protagonist either.

Yup. I think a lot of people are just dissapointed the story/city wasn't as good as it coulda been... It's still a fvcking awesome game. Multiplayer was fun as shit from what I could tell too, tho I didn't get to play much of it.
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex has decent reputation

Cos it's boring? Sleeping Dogs is the only game in that genre I've ever liked
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
LongLiveTheKing
Go HEATLES!

LongLiveTheKing is considered somewhat coolLongLiveTheKing is considered somewhat cool

Needs better cheat codes.
LongLiveTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

ukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

San Andreas as a city has more personality, more memorable locations etc. I love IV though! But it's the most inspiring of cities.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

The story is very dry in GTA4 and often gets dull in spots. The main character is not very interesting. The city is too repetitive when compared to the varied environments of GTA:SA. Having to constantly do buddy-buddy things (or dates) with people to maintain your relationship feels like a waste of time.

I don't hate the game, I just think it wasn't as good as San Andreas or Vice City. They improved the graphics tremendously, but the rest of the game suffered.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here

Great game, vastly overrated. No where near the scores it received from the critics. Overall, about a 93-94% game, not a ridiculous 97%.

- A ton of things were omitted that made San Andreas so much fun (for example working out etc.)
- The environment seemed dull
- The story did not intrigue me as much as Vice City or San Andreas
- I HATED the mechanics. The walking/running, aiming, shooting etc. is just very very mediocre
- The missions just were not very memorable to me, even that bank robbery got so much hype for nothing. It really wasn't all that great, in my opinion. I just expected more from a PS3 GTA...
- The graphics were pretty mediocre.

There are a few more things that prevented me from liking this game... but the list of things I liked about it is far greater. It's a great game, most certainly on my top 15 lists from the last 8 years...maybe even top 10, but San Andreas was probably my #1 game from the PS2 genre.
In retrospect, only maybe Vice City was an inferior game. I enjoyed GTA III (because of its originality) and San Andreas a lot more. Vice City and GTA 4 I always thought were overrated titles. Vice City had an amazing atmosphere (because of the location and an amazing soundtrack) and interesting characters; but didn't have nearly as much content as San Andreas and wasn't as engaging as GTA III because I just loved the whole "mafia" feel in GTA.

I guess the most important reason I find GTA 4 overrated is because I didn't feel like the city was alive enough/ I mean it was decent, especially later in the game in the downtown district area but everything seemed repetitive (people, missions, environment). I haven't played the game in 4 years so I don't remember it too well, but it's the only GTA 4 game that I've beaten ONLY twice. SA I beat probably 10 times...
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I loved it the first time it was released. It was a great gaming experience. I loved exploring the city, playing through the story, everything.

However, after I completed the storyline, things seemed to dry up relatively quickly. The omissions I initially overlooked eventually became evident. It was a great and dense city, but "free" options felt limited. No planes, nothing but city stacked on city, no countryside, limited dressing options - just a general drop in random things found in previous titles that kept games like that fresh.

I have a hard time playing the game now. I re-started the storyline but I'm no longer engaged. It feels like there's this big world out there in the game, but it almost all just feels like art now. Like, there's an amusement park, but it can't be used. There's tons and tons of buildings, but only a fraction can be entered, and they almost all feel the same. The general sense of discovery and wonder seems a little limited in comparison to other sandbox games.

In contrast, Red Dead Redemption still has me going. And that's my hope for GTA V. The re-introduction of different environments should be big (i.e. not just dense city, but countryside, desert, boondocks, etc.). I like when I can get lost in games like this while doing things not at all related to story. In RDR, oftentimes it's hunting. It sounds like that'll be returning for FTA V, so that's a good sign.

Basically, GTA IV was great when it was all fresh, but it aged quickly for me.

Thanks for reminding me why I thought GTA 4 was overrated. Exactly my sentiments as well. RDR & SA >>> GTA 4.

By the way, I think GTA V will be the greatest game ever developed. I don't just mean on current gen. They listened to the fans and basically included everything we wanted GTA 4 to be plus more (Max Payne 3 shooting mechanics? )
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
clipse026
Local High School Star

clipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected poster

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 much more. They both had more interesting stories and gave me more enjoyment.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
CeltsGarlic
Dos Santos

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
Great game, vastly overrated. No where near the scores it received from the critics. Overall, about a 93-94% game, not a ridiculous 97%.

- A ton of things were omitted that made San Andreas so much fun (for example working out etc.)
- The environment seemed dull
- The story did not intrigue me as much as Vice City or San Andreas
- I HATED the mechanics. The walking/running, aiming, shooting etc. is just very very mediocre
- The missions just were not very memorable to me, even that bank robbery got so much hype for nothing. It really wasn't all that great, in my opinion. I just expected more from a PS3 GTA...
- The graphics were pretty mediocre.

There are a few more things that prevented me from liking this game... but the list of things I liked about it is far greater. It's a great game, most certainly on my top 15 lists from the last 8 years...maybe even top 10, but San Andreas was probably my #1 game from the PS2 genre.
In retrospect, only maybe Vice City was an inferior game. I enjoyed GTA III (because of its originality) and San Andreas a lot more. Vice City and GTA 4 I always thought were overrated titles. Vice City had an amazing atmosphere (because of the location and an amazing soundtrack) and interesting characters; but didn't have nearly as much content as San Andreas and wasn't as engaging as GTA III because I just loved the whole "mafia" feel in GTA.

I guess the most important reason I find GTA 4 overrated is because I didn't feel like the city was alive enough/ I mean it was decent, especially later in the game in the downtown district area but everything seemed repetitive (people, missions, environment). I haven't played the game in 4 years so I don't remember it too well, but it's the only GTA 4 game that I've beaten ONLY twice. SA I beat probably 10 times...

Vice City is my fav. GTA with SA. Dont hate it. It had so much to do like collecting cars to create better ones and all other bonus stuff. But the atmosphere was something else. REALLY good. Story was amazing also.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse026
I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 much more. They both had more interesting stories and gave me more enjoyment.

This type of reasoning makes no sense to me. "I enjoyed game X, which came out 3-4 yrs after GTA IV more so that explains why I don't like GTA IV."
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Grand theft auto was great. It wasn't San Andreas but good nonetheless. To the point I finished it twice. Enjoyed characters and environment. Also the two DLC were good with ballad of Toney being as good as GTA4. Outside of max Payne 3 rockstar wins me over (la noire I'm told wasn't a rockstar game per say).
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I certainly don't hate it. Any game that become sort of a cultural touchstone like this has gotta be exceptional, and I remember playing through it the first time and excitedly texting my buddies about did you see this, have you bumped into that, sort of thing. And I think it gets kind of a bad rap for the city being dead. It really was the precursor for the Red Dead "blue dot missions" where missions would randomly spawn, and unlike RD, where it was really just the same 7 or so missions over and over, they had recurring story based missions, like the serial killer thing.

But it did have some flaws that caused my recollection of it to not be quite as pristeen.

It was huge, perhaps too huge. I remember leaving work and sort of not looking forward to having to put in a few hours tonight, or I'll never finish this ****ing game.

A big one for me. The map was stunning, but it didn't lend itself to a fun type of driving. Mocking the NYC map means a lot of short blocks, cross traffic, and sharp 90 degree tunrs. Not nearly the long comfortable highways and open off road expanses of San Andreas.

The side cell phone missions were an enormous burden. They got less so once you turned the phone off, but if you're like me, you'd still feel like you were gonna miss out on something. Unfortunately you never did. It was just driving people to hang out at the strip club, which got old fast. Or playing a mediocre billiards simulator. Most of the stuff they did was fascinating, but only those first couple times. Like Assassin's Creed had a nifty little Bocce simulator on the homefront, but they didn't demand you come back and play it mid mission or they'd stop giving you lumber or something.

And this is a bit more esoteric, and I worry it will effect V possibly. One of the things that made Vice City so stunning (and that's my favorite of them by the way), and San Andreas, was setting it during a specific era. Rockstar is very well known for it's satirical take on American culture. I feel like there's more to chew on satirically through the filter of time. Those great soundtracks. The clothes. Even the structure of the games, like the south central gang culture, are all huge parts of the previous games. Taking place currently I feel like lost some of that. The soundtrack wasn't nearly as good. And there was some nice cultural satire like on TV, and on the Internet, but that stuff was far more disconnected from the from the actual gameplay than previous iterations. How dated do those internet cafe's feel now?

Oddly, I felt like both add-ons, were better games, in part because they dumped you into more specific cultures, the biker gang, and the club scene, in a way that allowed a little more of that cultural satire. They were also smaller, and had more action sequence missions.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: