Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default The Expand Your Horizons Thread; Recommend Games

Look, I'm not a hardcore gamer. I've played video games pretty much my whole life, but I'm one of those guys who tends to stick with one game franchise for longer than need be. For instance, I've played through every GTA game for PS2 & PS3 at least twice. Don't ask me why.

I've recently come to the realization that I don't give games a chance, no matter how great people say they are. I have NEVER played any of the Uncharted games. I played Assassin's Creed II for the first time in the summer of 2012. I played Batman: Arkham Asylum a few months after Arkham City came out.

I figure this can be a thread for all of us to share game titles with a bit of a description of each game to get others to play them.

If you have suggestions for games that someone has overlooked or if you're someone doing the overlooking & now want to know what you've missed out on, let's get this going!
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Expand Your Horizons Thread; Recommend Games

For starters, I'd like to post the titles of games I've actually played on PS3.

GTA IV
GTA IV Episodes from Liberty City
Red Dead Redemption
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
God of War III
COD: MW2
Saints Row the Third
All the Assassin's Creed games
The Sims 3
GranTurismo 5
LA Noire
The Mafia II
inFamous (never finished the story)
LittleBigPlanet

There are maybe just a few others I'm forgetting but obviously they weren't too memorable.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

BioShock: Infinite is totally out of my comfort zone. That genre does not usually interest me, but it was spectacular. It's pretty much my go-to "If you're not interested in this type of game, you should still play this one" recommendation.

Sidenote, I've tried on two occasions to get in to Assassin's Creed. I'm borrowing the first one right now. I've heard some people recommend starting with the 2nd one. Why is that? And if I stick with the first, is there any point where it kind of opens up? Right now it feels like it's dragging a bit right at the start.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 06-24-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Rose
nanu nanu

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
BioShock: Infinite is totally out of my comfort zone. That genre does not usually interest me, but it was spectacular. It's pretty much my go-to "If you're not interested in this type of game, you should still play this one" recommendation.

Sidenote, I've tried on two occasions to get in to Assassin's Creed. I'm borrowing the first one right now. I've heard some people recommend starting with the 2nd one. Why is that? And if I stick with the first, is there any point where it kind of opens up? Right now it feels like it's dragging a bit right at the start.
Because all the flaws in the first one like: being repetitive, bad story flow, weird glitches like guards sometimes not fighting you while you're fighting someone, hovering etc. Aren't in it.

And Ezio is a much more character than Altair. There's more weapons, the controls really improve, the setting is IMO better.

If anyone has any PS3 games that are lesser known but loved I'd love to hear them. I've played most of the big games. Uncharted, inFamous, LBP, some ratchet and clank. Haven't played GoW yet (not really my style), or Killzone. If there's been anything remade from the PS2 like Sly Cooper or Jak and Daxter that I should play I'd love to know that too. I skipped out on the PS2.

Last edited by Rose : 06-24-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Quote:

The first one is awful. It's excruciatingly repetitive. If you only play the first one, you'll get bored and not want to follow through with the remaining games.

I strongly recommend you start off with AC2. You won't miss out on the story.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thanks, guys. I have this thing about wanting to start a series proper but upon your recommendations, I may forgo that and begin with AC2. You hit the nail on the head, the first one feels quite slow and repetitive thus far. I fell asleep while trying to play it in the middle of the day last week, and that's not really something that tends to happen to me.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sleeping Dogs. A GTA clone with a less interesting city but a much more interesting story and great combat. Well worth it and it's only like $20 at the most now.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here

You've already played a lot of the games that I would recommend bro.
But you HAVE to play Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 & The Last of Us.

Those are must buys and honestly are my top three games of the last 10 years without hesitation. Red Dead is 4th.

Rake, AC is very repetitive and is the 2nd worse game of the series behind Revelations, in my opinion.

Brotherhood is the best followed by AC 2, in my opinion.
I totally agree with you about BioShock, it is totally not my type of game. But once I gave it a try I absolutely loved the progression in the story. The atmosphere made this game very addicting and I can't believe it; but BioShock is on my top 7 list, and that's a very impressive feat considering I can not stand that genre of games.

So yeah I'd recommend BioShock too.
Tomb Raider, Dead Space, Sleeping Dogs and Infinite are on my "to-play" list now but I'll be too busy perfecting TLoU until GTA 5 comes out, so I doubt I'll play them until like 2014.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
You've already played a lot of the games that I would recommend bro.
But you HAVE to play Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 & The Last of Us.

Those are must buys and honestly are my top three games of the last 10 years without hesitation. Red Dead is 4th.

Yeah, I'm probably going to play the Uncharted series soon. I just started playing AC2 yesterday because of this thread. I decided to go ahead and try to get the platinum trophy for the game because it's pretty easy. There aren't any online trophies to worry about.

Quote:
Rake, AC is very repetitive and is the 2nd worse game of the series behind Revelations, in my opinion.

I don't get why people say Revelations was a bad game. I love it. It's one of my favorite games of all-time. Please explain why you say AC Revelations is one of the worst games in the series. I honestly think it is better than Brotherhood.

Quote:
So yeah I'd recommend BioShock too.
Tomb Raider, Dead Space, Sleeping Dogs and Infinite are on my "to-play" list now but I'll be too busy perfecting TLoU until GTA 5 comes out, so I doubt I'll play them until like 2014.

Sleeping Dogs is pretty fun, and if you're a PS+ member, it was a free download not too long ago. I don't know if it's still available for free, but I downloaded it and it came with some free skin packs, too. Nothing too impressive, though.
The game also has the easiest platinum trophy ever. It takes a bit of time to get, but it's so easy that I doubt you'll mind... Assuming you're into collecting trophies, which I just recently got into a lot.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I have this thing about wanting to start a series proper but upon your recommendations, I may forgo that and begin with AC2. You hit the nail on the head, the first one feels quite slow and repetitive thus far. I fell asleep while trying to play it in the middle of the day last week, and that's not really something that tends to happen to me.
I am a huge fan of the series, and even I'll tell you that unless you're only interested in the storyline, you're better off starting with AC2. Its amazing how much better that is from AC1. That said, if you are interested in the storyline (which is pretty cool IMO, I've played it a second time just for that and the last couple of missions that were really challenging) there are ways to get through it a little faster.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 were among some of the best gaming experiences I've had over the past year.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
I don't get why people say Revelations was a bad game. I love it. It's one of my favorite games of all-time. Please explain why you say AC Revelations is one of the worst games in the series. I honestly think it is better than Brotherhood.
People hate on Revelations for a few reasons. First, it was the third game of the Ezio storyline and everyone felt like they were milking the franchise at that point. The gameplay was almost identical to Brotherhood with the addition of crafting. Most people hated the tower defense crap as it was poorly done, and the evolution of your assassins, while kind of cool because of extra missions, seemed somewhat messy. Like AC1, if I ever play it again, it'll be strictly for the storyline and nothing else, though Istanbul was kinda cool. Overall, the game just wasn't that memorable for me.

Honestly, Revelations didn't seem like the kind of game that should've been a $60 purchase. They could've accomplished the same in Brotherhood with a nice big DLC the size of King Washington.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

It is somewhat dated now but you should give Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory a chance. I say that one instead starting from the beginning because the first two are somewhat silly in comparison now. It has excellent gameplay and you can play it in a variety of different ways. I think I've played it like 5 times now. You can blow your way through the whole thing or play extremely stealthily and get in and out of every mission without killing anyone. The game has a stealth rating at the end of every mission, and killing people that are not a target really damages your rating.

Its an excellent play and easily the best in the franchise IMO. Its sequel, Double Agent, is pretty cool in its own right though.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: