Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Batz
Shit just got serious

Default So, my 7 year old baby sister just beat beat Brain Cancer...

Without really any treatment... and no one knows how.

So I don't think anyone around here knows about my sisters medical history. Don't think many people on the internet do. Hard to open up to anonymous strangers but here goes anyways.

My sister was born without functioning kidneys, went four years without them. After several false positives, disappointments, thousand rounds of dialysis, in mid 2010 she got an anonymous kidney donation. Unfortunately, it did not work out, as there was major rejection issues; but from then on she was off dialysis and practically living somewhat of a normal life.

On February 17th, 2013, in the middle of the All-Star game she had her first grand mal/tonic-clonic seizure which lasted for about 3 hours. She woke up the next morning as if nothing happened. The doctors assumed that there was a problem with her kidney and probably her low electrolytes - issues she has been dealing with since the transplant.

She was admitted into the hospital she practically grew up in where the doctors ran several tests. Eventually, they found 'anomalies' in her MRI results; having trouble figuring out if they caused the seizures or were results of the seizure. Later on, they found a 'virus' in her spinal fluid which at the time seemed like the reasonable primary cause, so they attempted to treat it; but it was more of a diversion from the real problem.

March 10th, 2013, she had her second grand mal/tonic-clonic seizure. Her brain began to heavily bleed so they rushed her to surgery immediately. They opened her up, found cancer everywhere. Stopped the bleeding, biopsy'd the 'anomaly', closed her up, diagnosed her with a rare form of PTLD (Post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder), closed her up and said she had at most two weeks to live as she fell into a coma.

March 17th, 2013, after some rounds of chemotherapy against doctors advice, she woke up. It was astonishing, dare I say... A miracle? At this point, no one knew what the hell was going on. Doctors were STUNNED - they couldn't believe it. My family and friends couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it.

When she woke up, it was brief. Quiet, but wow it was so powerful. She couldn't speak, she couldn't tell what was going on, she couldn't remember anything, see anything, or feel anything. But she was... awake. Moving around as much as possible with hundreds of wires stuck in, out and on her.

So since then, in the span of four months, my 7 year old sister has woken up from a coma, completely regained her memory (which we expected her NEVER to get back), regained her ability to see, regained her ability to speak, to smile, to laugh, to slap me across the face when I can't get her favorite Selena Gomez song to play on the hospitals shitty ass free wifi. Basically survived the impossible.

Did I mention the barely any treatment part? Not to long after her miracle wake up, her kidney failed. Expected though. The chemotherapy treatment was put on hold, despite only a handful of sessions, and was put on dialysis since.

As of Friday morning, June 21st, 2013, when me and my family were preparing for her 6 months of Chemotherapy, we were told that my sister CURED of BRAIN PTLD CANCER after MRIs concluded no traces of cancer whatsoever, and her spinal fluids are clean of any sort of virus. How? Once again, no one knows. No one really cares. She just happened to beat one of the rarest and most incurable forms of cancer, at the age of 7. And we're all fucking ecstatic!

This Friday she will be discharged and moved to a private rehab facility where she'll spend time trying to regain major fundamental functions (standing, walking, hand function, short/long term memory etc) and continue her dialysis. She escaped the hands of death, but unfortunately has been left with some brain damage and will have to play 'find the right kidney' game again. If it's permanent or not, we don't know. But then again, we thought she would never wake up, let alone say my name ever again.

So the last four months or so as you can read, have been INTENSE. I don't know what happened, I can't possibly explain it. I can just tell you, it's life changing. Watching someone you love more than anything in the world, to lying in a coma on her death bed to highfiving you in the span of one week... It's indescribable.

tl;dr? My sister slapped death across the face. Come at me bro.
Batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
BoogieWoogieMan
BTE Prophet

Default Re: So, my 7 year old baby sister just beat beat Brain Cancer...

Congrats to her!
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
niko
I Run NY.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. She's a tough girl, it was just not going to be her time. She refused. She had a life to live and she basically said **** U CANCER.

Inspiring.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Batz
Shit just got serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
Congrats to her!
Booooogeh! ;D

Thanks man!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
B-Low
The Love B-Low

F*ckin great man. Congrats to your family that's amazing.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Great news man, now you can get her to like some better music.

Yes I'm serious... But honestly that's really incredible.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

Amazing
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
Batz
Shit just got serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Great news man, now you can get her to like some better music.

Yes I'm serious... But honestly that's really incredible.
Her first words coming out of a coma were...

And hold your bats and pitchforks for this one folks, it was "Never Say Never". I cried and laughed at the same time.

Appreciate all the good thought folks. Can't wait for Friday!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
treadster
Good High School Starter

congrats man
treadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #10
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

WARRIOR.

That's heartwarming man, there's something especially special about little girls fighting.

And you seem like a great guy too
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
Batz
Shit just got serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY

WARRIOR.

That's heartwarming man, there's something especially special about little girls fighting.

And you seem like a great guy too
Thanks! And yeah, something really special about seeing young kids fighting... Spent alot of time in the Cancer ward in a hospital for sick children.

You'd think it'd be a sad, depressing, angry place but... No. Not even a little. It's a beautiful place. A place where kids at one moment can be vomiting up their lunch, and just minutes later be reenacting their favorite scenes from Toy Story with a big smile on their face. Just absolutely magical.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
jaydacris
Rose

wow, amazing

thanks for sharing that story, seeing people beat cancer or any disease for that matter is one of the better life moments; especially when its a young child

its pretty amazing that with all the billions of dollars spent on medical research and funding, every now and then things happen that cant be explained. in this case, the unexplainable is pretty damn awesome! :)

jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

congrats bro, all the best to your sis and your family.
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
plowking
well DENG

Great to hear.

I have some family currently suffering from cancer as well, so its inspiring to hear something like this.
plowking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #15
9erempiree
27 yrs of watching NBA

Congrats Batz!

Give the little one a hug from us.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: