Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default Cowboys scouts had Shariff Floyd as a top 10 player, but coaches decided against him.

Quote:
Cowboys DC Monte Kiffin and DL coach Rod Marinelli didn't think DT Sharrif Floyd was "quick-twitch" enough to excel in their 4-3 defense.
Cowboys scouts graded Floyd as a top-ten player, but the coaching staff was less impressed. The team has only an aging Jay Ratliff and converted 3-4 end Jason Hatcher as starting tackles. But when it was time to pick at No. 18 overall, Jerry Jones traded down. Floyd, who ended up going 23rd overall, should enter his rookie season with a big chip on his shoulder.

Why even have scouts if you're going to disregard their opinions?

It's very interesting that the coach said Floyd wasn't "quick twitch" enough for the 4-3 defense. I would guess 99 percent of scouts before the draft had said Floyd was the most explosive defensive tackle in the draft.

Certainly none of them questioned his explosiveness.

Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Cowboys scouts had Shariff Floyd as a top 10 player, but coaches decided against him.

it is absolutely impossible to know what other scouts in the NFL had on him...just scouts that work for media

I think that for many fans this would be seen as a surprising sign that Jerry is letting coaches have a say in who gets drafted

on a somewhat related note, I have recently just read a few articles talking about how many NFL teams now have a stats department and are using advanced statistical information to help them make decisions on player evaluation along with just watching tape...interesting stuff
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Default Re: Cowboys scouts had Shariff Floyd as a top 10 player, but coaches decided against him.

Advanced stats come from watching tape. They're one in the same.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Advanced stats come from watching tape. They're one in the same.
yes the stats come from the game obviously...but now teams are hiring people that just work on statistical information alone
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

My point seems to have missed you completely.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This doesn't have to do with this story, but I truly would hate being a scout for the Cowboys - I could just picture Jerry Jones overriding the whole scouting department on draft choices based on some video Jerry watched. Again, I'm not saying Jerry does this, but it's definitely something I could see him doing.

Sorry for random post.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
My point seems to have missed you completely.
Maybe so...you think that watching tape and looking at stats are the same thing?

I was just bringing up the articles I read on these new jobs...maybe you missed my point?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
This doesn't have to do with this story, but I truly would hate being a scout for the Cowboys - I could just picture Jerry Jones overriding the whole scouting department on draft choices based on some video Jerry watched. Again, I'm not saying Jerry does this, but it's definitely something I could see him doing.

Sorry for random post.
I think everyone assumes Jerry is the entire draft department...its probably far from the truth though. Obviously Jerry makes last call but we can see here he listened to his coaches input

Being a scout for Dallas? They probably don't care who Jerry drafts...they just get paid to watch players and report what they see.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Pretty sure scouts take pride in who they scout and how they see prospects projecting. Also pretty sure scouts want to move up on the ranks and what way could help but having fingerprints over prospects selected. I'd like to think scouts take pride in what they do and don't just do it because hey a job is a job. No one else is hiring right now.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: