Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Draft Thread

So here it is. The offseason. It's actually one of my favorite times of the year. As some of you know, my dream job was to be a GM when I was growing up. It may sound corny, but I LOVE the draft. Personally, it's one of my favorite times of year.

Without further ado, as promised, here's the draft thread to discuss all things draft related.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Draft Thread

Firstly, it is generally considered to be a very "weak" draft. It's always been my opinion, that in years where the draft and free agency pool are considered "weak", the non-lottery teams prosper the most. People are making safe moves, diamonds in the rough appear and generally, the good teams end up with key role players.

As far as the draft goes, I've mentioned before that I've somewhat boycotted college basketball this year because of what they allowed to happen to the Big East. That being said, I've recently began doing some research on a few players. If I had to pick "my guy", it would have to be Isaiah Cannan from Murray State. I've actually liked him since last year. I think he could be this year's Damian Lillard. Not as explosive, but a small school kid with a ton of game.

He had handle. He can pass. He already has an NBA ready physique. He's a bit undersized height wise (5'11 w/o shoes, 6'0" w/). He's a really good shooter with NBA 3 point range. His numbers were a little down this year because Murray State lost some key guys to graduation and suspensions. Overall I think this kid can ball. I know PG isn't a pressing area of need. However, I think this is a draft to take BPA. He tested really well in the agility tests. He hit over 50% of his 3 point shots in the around the horn drill. I think he'd help us immediately. Sorry, but I'm still not sold on our backup guard situation.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't watch college basketball so I don't know anyone

I hope you guys will inform me a little bit about some prospects
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Of the guys that you can reasonably suggest will be available in the Knicks area of the draft I like:

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG from Georgia
Jeff Withey, C from Kansas
Glen Rice Jr, SF from the NBDL
Mason Plumlee, C from Duke
Shane Larkin, PG from Miami

Additionally if Dennis Schroeder (German PG) slips past the lottery I want the team to move up and take a chance on him. Trade the first round pick we have along with Chris Copeland to Atlanta and see if Schroeder lands at #17.

If Giannis Adetokunbo (Greek SF, #11 on the Red team) doesn't go in the first round take a flier on him in the second round. Make a trade to get the first or second pick in the 2nd round and grab him. This kid will either become a long time NBA rotation guy or wash out completely.

Last edited by Da KO King : 05-21-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I wonder if we can get Dario Šarić. He's a 19 year old 6'10 Croatian SF/PF. Extremely talented,one of the most talented guys in Europe.
The situation in Croatian basketball is poor and there are some things that are limiting his growth.
Little more than a year ago he played at a Nike Hoop Summit in Portland and he had 13 points,14 rebounds and 5 assists in just 25 minutes of play and led his team to victory.

He's projected to be a top 20 pick,I'm pretty sure he would be a top 10 or even top 5 pick in this draft if things didn't get complicated in domestic basketball.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Of the guys that you can reasonably suggest will be available in the Knicks area of the draft I like:

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG from Georgia
Jeff Withey, C from Kansas
Glen Rice Jr, SF from the NBDL
Mason Plumlee, C from Duke
Shane Larkin, PG from Miami

Additionally if Dennis Schroeder (German PG) slips past the lottery I want the team to move up and take a chance on him. Trade the first round pick we have along with Chris Copeland to Atlanta and see if Schroeder lands at #17.

If Giannis Adetokunbo (Greek SF, #11 on the Red team) doesn't go in the first round take a flier on him in the second round. Make a trade to get the first or second pick in the 2nd round and grab him. This kid will either become a long time NBA rotation guy or wash out completely.

I like Glen Rice Jr and Caldwell-Pope. Caldwell-Pope will probably be gone by the time we pick.

My issue with Larkin is, he tested off the charts in the Combine but you don't see all that when he actually plays. He has a lot of Kendall Marshall to his game, although he has a far better jumper.

I don't trust the Plumlees lol. Every year, Duke gets this tall, athletic white guy who you think is going to be big time...then he turns out to be a disappointment lol Singler is the closest thing to success lmao (not trying to b racist...I'm just joking)

Withey looks ok but I worry about him be possibly being a stiff on the NBA level.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
I like Glen Rice Jr and Caldwell-Pope. Caldwell-Pope will probably be gone by the time we pick.

My issue with Larkin is, he tested off the charts in the Combine but you don't see all that when he actually plays. He has a lot of Kendall Marshall to his game, although he has a far better jumper.
Honestly, I don't even want Larkin due to the athletic testing. To me that is just something to talk to the general fan base about. I like his ability to pick and choose his spots in terms of shooting and running the offense. He's a bit smaller than I'd like and I'm not sure of his in-between game but if he's around in the mid-20s he would be worth a look. Also, I think he'll do enough on defense not to hamper the team's interior guys by allowing "blow-by's" as often as Ray Felton.

Quote:
I don't trust the Plumlees lol. Every year, Duke gets this tall, athletic white guy who you think is going to be big time...then he turns out to be a disappointment lol Singler is the closest thing to success lmao (not trying to b racist...I'm just joking)

Withey looks ok but I worry about him be possibly being a stiff on the NBA level.
Honestly, I only put Plumlee on the list because he will likely be around there. I much prefer Withy. Both guys have quick enough feet and understand how to get open/get out the way around the basket to be quality offensive garbage men. I prefer Withy because I think he has a bit of Marc Gasol to him defensively. Won't be as effective as Gasol at getting to the spots early but has good enough timing as a shot blocker for the defense to still be good.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Glenn Rice Jr has some character issues but he also has the experience of being a pro somewhat being that he played in the D-League. I believe he's played with Shump at Ga Tech also.

I like Tim Hardaway Jr also!

Last edited by franchize : 05-21-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Da KO King

Quote:
Glenn Rice Jr has some character issues but he also has the experience of being a pro somewhat being that he played in the D-League. I believe he's played with Shump at Ga Tech also.

I like Tim Hardaway Jr also!
I'm not quite as concerned about the character issues. I think the guy has been humbled a bit by how things went down.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people

Olynyk and mCollum both obviously out of reach but the 2 most perfect possible picks

I think there is actually a chance to draft one of 3 guys that would be GREAT picks. Steven Adams, Archie Goodwin, or Saric.

All of those guys gone I'd take Lorenzo brown over Larkin or Canaan

It's got to big a big or a pg unless there's a huge talent gap
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
Olynyk and mCollum both obviously out of reach but the 2 most perfect possible picks

I think there is actually a chance to draft one of 3 guys that would be GREAT picks. Steven Adams, Archie Goodwin, or Saric.

All of those guys gone I'd take Lorenzo brown over Larkin or Canaan

It's got to big a big or a pg unless there's a huge talent gap

One of my pop's friends (RIP) used to coach Lorenzo in AAU in ATL before he died. He can play. He has great height for a PG and he can pass the ball. He needs to hit the weight room though and he has the tendency to disappear in games.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

With the 24th pick we have to use it on a young big man to learn behind Amare, Chandler, Camby, & hopefully K-Mart if he returns. I'd like to see us roll the dice on one of the kids like Rudy Gobert or Steven Adams who are both 19 with a ton of upside. Its possible 1 goes Top 10 and the other slips just like in past drafts with really young, raw big men. Let them carry luggage all next season, get some spot minutes in a blowout, and simply learn a thing or 2 in practice.

After this series, I realized we have to start planning for the future.

Shump is the only guy on the roster for a future core, not saying we need to blow the team up now but I'd like to see some other young players on this team to get the winning experience early to set them up for once the stars are gone. I just look at how San Antonio does it with young guys like Leonard, Green, Splitter, & Joseph. The winning mindset will carry on for them into the future and help change the funk we were in for a decade with young players coming into a losing culture.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

While a big man is our biggest need, I don't want to reach for one simply because we need one. If we don't feel confident in anyone at that pick, given the lack of stand out players in this draft, I think we should go best player available.

We have a huge issue regarding young talent on our roster. It's time to start addressing that. I personally think we should trade for some 2nd round picks.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
Da KO King

If you going to grab a big guy at #24 I have Withy as the top priority of the "likely available" list. Does everything the team and the fan base wants Tyson Chandler to do.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people

Quote:
While a big man is our biggest need, I don't want to reach for one simply because we need one. If we don't feel confident in anyone at that pick, given the lack of stand out players in this draft, I think we should go best player available.

We have a huge issue regarding young talent on our roster. It's time to start addressing that. I personally think we should trade for some 2nd round picks.
That's the right point there- can't just take a big out of need there- at 24 it's got to be bpa And if your scouting is good your pick will end up much better that whichever big was left there (dieng, plumlee, or Kenny kadji)

I think in the area the Knicks Are picking it ends up not being big names or big players- I'm hopefully for Adams, Saric, or Archie Goodwin - but prepared for Lorenzo brown or vander blue
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: