Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

DieHardBullsFan has an OK reputation so far
Default Who is the Better defender, Mutumbo or Hakeem "The Dream"?

Me and my buddy were debating over this and I say that Olajuwon was by far the better defender than Mutumbo was...

I want to hear your opinions...and if not them two...then who was the best defensive center to play the game??
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
blazerftc
High School Varsity 6th Man

blazerftc has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who is the Better defender, Mutumbo or Hakeem "The Dream"?

I'd have to throw my vote for best defensive center toward Sam "Big Smooth" Perkins. In his prime he could d-up anyone. Then, there's always Bill Russel as well.
blazerftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Whichever center was a better defender, I don't think it was "by far."
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hakeem hands down

not only could he shut you down, he would score on your ass all day causing you to foul and play less aggressively.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

DieHardBullsFan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerftc
I'd have to throw my vote for best defensive center toward Sam "Big Smooth" Perkins. In his prime he could d-up anyone. Then, there's always Bill Russel as well.

ah you know your stuff...I agree very underrated defender Perkins was...alot of people would credit his outside shooting and forget about his defense...
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

hakeem could not only block, he had the quickest hands. i believe he was gthe steals leader at one point for the rockets.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Is Wang ZhiZhi an option?
T-Low is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

hakeem. 1st all-time in blocks. top ten in steals. one of the few centers who had no problems defending pick and rolls. great as lockdown one on one defender as well.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

Hakeem and Robinson were both easily better defenders than Mutombo, who's overrated in that respect.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Olajuwon
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
Whichever center was a better defender, I don't think it was "by far."

Agreed.

I'd take Dream because he was a better team defender in general (not just for blocks) and better further out on the floor than Mutombo. He was a better one-on-one post defender than Mutombo as well. He was also a comparable shot-blocker, though Deke has an argument there. Hakeem relied more on his timing and quick-jumping ability to block shots, whereas I always felt that Dikembe relied on his length a lot. I also feel that Alonzo Mourning (prime) might a better shot-blocker than either of them.

For sheer interior intimidation, however, I might take Mutombo over either one of them, because I always felt that he changed and prevented more shots inside than he blocked, to a higher degree than guys like Dream or 'Zo.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

Hakeem everytime.....
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard

TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Agreed.

I'd take Dream because he was a better team defender in general (not just for blocks) and better further out on the floor than Mutombo. He was a better one-on-one post defender than Mutombo as well. He was also a comparable shot-blocker, though Deke has an argument there. Hakeem relied more on his timing and quick-jumping ability to block shots, whereas I always felt that Dikembe relied on his length a lot. I also feel that Alonzo Mourning (prime) might a better shot-blocker than either of them.

For sheer interior intimidation, however, I might take Mutombo over either one of them, because I always felt that he changed and prevented more shots inside than he blocked, to a higher degree than guys like Dream or 'Zo.

Hakeem was about the same size as Mutombo and he wasn't a comparable shot blocker to anyone, he is 639 blocks (nobody will ever touch that) ahead of everyone. Also nobody changed a shot like Hakeem and people barely challened him for good reason, he is the greatest defensive center/player that ever played the game. I really feel sorry fot the youngsters that didnt get to see him play, that has to be the only reason why they would pick Mourning and Dikembe (i love the guy) over him.

I couldn't find a link to his best blocks but this peice has a few of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrEsNS9zKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4uX...elated&search=

The greastest center that ever lived (had absolutely no weakness in his game)........just didn't get to play with the talent/players others did.

God I wish I could step into a time machine and watch his career over again......greatness at its finest, Houston was blessed, the best player that ever played in the city regardless of what sport. I still can't believe anybody puts Shaq anywhere close to this guy.

The guy didn't start playing ball until he was 18, before that he was a soccer goalie which blessed him with great hands, anyways......the moment this guy picked up a basketball he was a instant hall of famer.

Lets put it this way Hakeem was selected over Jordan and you don't hear anybody questioning the decision. If I could do it all over again knowing what both players became, I would still take Hakeem.....He was a joy to watch.......just dreaming of the day a center like him comes around again.

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 02-16-2007 at 06:01 PM.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #14
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool

Hakeem, its not even a debate.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
Hakeem was about the same size as Mutombo and he wasn't a comparable shot blocker to anyone, he is 639 blocks (nobody will ever touch that) ahead of everyone. Also nobody changed a shot like Hakeem and people barely challened him for good reason, he is the greatest defensive center/player that ever played the game. I really feel sorry fot the youngsters that didnt get to see him play, that has to be the only reason why they would pick Mourning and Dikembe (i love the guy) over him.

I couldn't find a link to his best blocks but this peice has a few of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrEsNS9zKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4uX...elated&search=

The greastest center that ever lived (had absolutely no weakness in his game)........just didn't get to play with the talent/players others did.

God I wish I could step into a time machine and watch his career over again......greatness at its finest, Houston was blessed, the best player that ever played in the city regardless of what sport. I still can't believe anybody puts Shaq anywhere close to this guy.

The guy didn't start playing ball until he was 18, before that he was a soccer goalie which blessed him with great hands, anyways......the moment this guy picked up a basketball he was a instant hall of famer.

Wilt and Kareem both had more block shots, they just didn't keep record of them. Kareem played for four years before they started.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: