Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Default My Crazy Draft Analysis

1. Cleveland Cavaliers: PF Anthony Bennett, UNLV
This is gonna be a tough one for me to explain, because I really like Bennett, but at the same time am really not crazy about this pick. This was one of the strangest top tiers in draft history. It got that way because you wound up with three pairs of top tier guys at three different positions, so the top tier to me really depended on what you wanted. I still think Bennett was the “gettinest buckets guy” in this draft. But he’s a mismatch nightmare. A guy you want to isolate on the block against smallers, and isolate on the perimeter against bigs. It’s gonna take a little work and attention to use him. My problem is that when you have an elite PG, and a free wheeling SG, and a big like Thompson who excels switching ends, you don’t want to be waiting for a mismatch guy you have to set up. That’s why I felt like Porter was the better fit. Certainly not the same level of scorer, but he could run with this team better, and his instincts to drift and pass just felt like a better fit with the personal they had. And his extra size and length, his rebounding prowess, to me meant you could use him as a small lineup four next to Thompson even. I suppose Bennett has some similar value.
So it’s not that I don’t like Bennett, and it’s not that I don’t like the idea of thinking outside the box, I just don’t like the fit.

2. Orlando Magic: SG Victor Oladipo, Indiana
This is a similar flip of my “Three Pairs of Tiers” notion at the top of this draft. And if I were this team, I’da liked my foundation of Vucevic, Tobi Harris, and a developing Andy Nicholson enough to pass on both the bigs as well. Had they been lower, Trey Burke woulda been the best fit, but they were just too high for that. The only weird thing about the two wings is that Aaron Afflalo was the only player of consequence they had on contract for any amount of time moving forward. Again, my preference of the two wings wound up being McLemore. I just felt like his jumper is an unteachable skill. Motor is important, but I feel like McLemore will continue to improve, and what he can do physically combined with that jumper is a different combination. But unlike the Bennett/Porter pairing, these guys were closer in terms of style to me, so I’m more than fine with this. And with the notion that Afflalo is possibly on his way out for a PG anyway, this looks even better.

3. Washington Wizards: SF Otto Porter Jr., Georgetown
I love this pick. I obviously developed a bit of a crush on Porter over the season. I was suggesting he go here when it looked like Cleveland would be picking, then when they moved up, I didn’t see any reason not to still go best fit, no one was separating themselves enough. He may never be a true star because he’s just too good a fitting in to stand out, but that’s a gift in it’s own way. This team is close, and this guy is a great fit.

4. Charlotte Bobcats: C Cody Zeller, Indiana
A little like Bennett, it’s tricky for me to assess this, because I liked Zeller seemingly more than most, but not to the tune of 4th overall. Especially with the other two concensus bigs, and the second premium wing still on the board. I get not loving Noel here. You’re still dicking around with Biyombo, so that rim protecting athlete you’ve already got. I felt like Len’s offense would’ve been a good fit. But most of all I liked McLemore. Last year’s take of MKG I liked, but the guy just can’t shoot. I touched on this in my mock, but pairing McLemore with him gives you two premium athletes at the wing, and allows you to really defend out there, but McLemore’s shooting lets you play him on the weekside across from MKG and Kemba, and help spread the floor for them. Zeller I just don’t get at all, and that’s even thinking he’s gonna be a decent long term player in the league.

5. Phoenix Suns: C Alex Len, Maryland
I really like this pick. They must’ve been shocked to have the options they had at five. The vaunted Phx training staff even fits well with possibly treating Len’s risky stress fracture issues that had concerned me during this process. I actually preferred Noel as a prospect, but the offensive fit here makes me like this more.

6. Philadelphia 76ers (via New Orleans Pelicans): C Nerlens Noel, Kentucky
I was initially excited to see how NO was gonna play Noel and Davis together. A 3 guard gamble defense, running people off the three point line, and helping with two defensive savants with elite length. It was fascinating to me. Seemed crazy, but still fascinating. Neither one can really post up. Both can run the floor like gazelle. Then the trade went down and they all of a sudden had a more conventional look. Probably better, but I was enjoying having my coaching hat on and thinking about what to do with these two long mobile bigs. Alas, Philly winds up with the guy with the most upside. Gets to sit him most of the season and stink for next years lotto. Gets away from Bynum. And had a pick later that they had to know would allow them to address giving up Holliday rather than fishing in the murcky wing water that was gonna be more likely down there. I thought this was a great, long game move.

7. Sacramento Kings: SG Ben McLemore, Kansas
So the most naturally talented player in this draft falls to 7. This sort of thing just doesn’t happen to the Kings. The question now is can his one weekness, what may be a deferential personality, be able to hold up in what is a rudderless situation in Sacramento. This is a great get for Sacramento, although probably not the best situation for McLemore.

8. Detroit Pistons: SG Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Georgia
If you read my mock, I wasn’t crazy about KCP. For disclosure, he was certainly the guy I knew least about among the top dozen or so picks. And part of my reservation was just a matter of value. I liked more of those late pick wings than most people I suppose. For Detroit, they have a nice pairing up front, and I like Knight in the back court at either spot. By all accounts Pope is the best of the SG prospects. To me I’d still have probably rolled the dice with the other hyphen, Micheal Carter Williams, and run a pairing of PGs, with MCW’s size defending SG on the other end. Knight’s a better shooter than most at the one. And then you have two playmakers on the floor at once, along with Monroe who’s a plus passer, which allows you to use Drummond more, who needs things created for him. It would’ve been risky, but it was an idea I’d liked for a while.

9. Utah Jazz (via Minnesota Timberwolves): PG Trey Burke, Michigan
UPDATE: The Timberwolves traded this pick to the Utah Jazz for the Nos. 14 and 21 picks, USA TODAY Sports' Sam Amick reports. I like this trade for both teams. In my mock, I had Utah looking at PGs of all types. MCW lacked the shooting traditional of this team. I had hypothesized they’d reach for Shane Larkin even. By moving up for Burke they get the best fit for their team. Are two 1s worth it for Burke, I’d say in this draft sure. This is a team with good depth up front and young size. If they resign even one of their two big FAs, they weren’t gonna get much out of the crop of mid level bigs that would be available to them in the range they were picking anyway. And I like how it ended for Minnie too.

10. Portland Trail Blazers: SG C.J. McCollum, Lehigh
There were so many teams I liked McCollum for. I liked him for Detroit where they took Pope, where I felt he could playmake a bit like I was saying with MCW. I like him pairing with Rubio at the previous pick, doing all sorts of all court things with Love and Ricky and running around like a bunch of spacing and movement savants. I still have serious serious questions about him defensively. And of all the places he could’ve gone, I don’t like this spot. Lillard is too ball dominant for this guy to get great value out of all the things he can do. And the two of them are going to make for a terrible defensive backcourt. Lillard ranked out atrociously on defense last year. This to me is an unfortunate fit for a guy I really liked. However I know I’m in the minority here.

Last edited by Thorpesaurous : 06-30-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: My Crazy Draft Analysis

11. Philadelphia 76ers: PG Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse
Moving up to get Noel earlier really freed them up to not have to try and figure who of all the big guys they preferred, of who of the poo poo platter of wings they wanted. They were able to take a premium position to replace Holiday. I’m a Syracuse fan, and had some issues with MCW. I don’t think he’s the truest of PGs. I watched him all year have issues with the more fundamental PG duties, of bringing the ball up against pressure mostly. But perhaps with the improved spacing of the NBA, that will be something he’ll have less issue with. His vision is elite. And he’ll get to go through the fire this year on a bad team. I know there’s some concern of duplication with Evan Turner, but I could see them taking advantage of each other, playing off of who’s defending who. And long term his vision and open court game could fit perfectly with Noel running. Also, there’s a chance Turner isn’t long here.

12. Oklahoma City Thunder: C Steven Adams, Pittsburgh
Ugh … I really didn’t like this pick. I didn’t like Adams through this whole process. I had reservations all through the mock I wrote. But I did see him moving up through the process. People say he has got so little experience, he can grow exponentially, but he also may have missed his window, and will never have the instincts to take advantage of his tools, something that a team that has Hasheem Thabeet on it’s roster you’d think would understand. Combined with this pick coming from the Harden trade, it’s just harder to swallow. They could’ve kept Harden, made a run this past year, then probably moved Harden for the first pick if they still didn’t want to pay him, probably could’ve moved up to one this year and replaced him with McLemore or Oladipo had they wanted to. Instead they jumped the gun, got knocked out in the second round, and have Steven Adams and Jeremy Lamb. Awesome.

13. Boston Celtics (via Dallas Mavericks): C Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga
I like Olynyk’s skill set for his size. Good shooter. Good Passer. Good cutter. Obviously has some rebounding issues, and defensive rotations are limited due to his quickness concerns, but I’ll put it this way, this is a hell of a lot better big prospect than last year’s Fab Melo.
I do wonder why they’d give up two second rounders next year to move up two spots for this. If by chance he got taken, there’s plenty more options among bigs (I liked Gorgui Deng best anyway). And now you’re blowing it up anyway. Those second rounders could’ve been used as sweeteners to try and move up next year when they’ll have two firsts. And cheap second round talent is a great way to fill out a young roster, which is where they’re heading. They and the Sixers are in full blow up mode.

14. Minnesota Timberwolves (via Utah Jazz): SF Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA
The first of the two firsts Minnie got for giving up Trey Burke, a guy they couldn’t use anyway, and frankly they probably would’ve been considering Muhammad up there anyway. They needed wing scoring and shooting. A guy to play off of Love and Rubio’s passing and general creativity. Personally I’dve preferred staying put and going McCullom, but this is OK. I really didn’t care for Muhammad’s game, but he can certainly score. I feel he’s a little too much ball stopper for what they do.

15. Milwaukee Bucks: SF Giannis Antetokounmpo, Greece
The youngest player in the draft, the guy has tremendous potential. I don’t mind this pick at all. The crop of bigs wasn’t gonna do much more than the weird crop of long bigs they’ve already got. And they may as well see if they’re gonna keep Jennings anyhow. They’re in blow up mode too as far as I’m concerned.

16. Atlanta Hawks (via Dallas Mavericks, Boston Celtics): C Lucas Nogueira, Brazil
17. Atlanta Hawks: PG Dennis Schroeder, Germany

Two picks in a row is always cool. But I still don’t understand why they traded with Dallas to jump ahead of … themselves? Weird. Did Dallas threaten to take Nogeira/Schroeder and they were so smitten with him they just couldn’t allow it, even though there were no shortage of other bigs to look at? If Dallas is willing to move down, how in love with Nogeira/Schroeder could they really be?
Either way, I love this draft. I really liked both these guys, especially Schroeder. I’d said in my mock I’da seriously considered Schroeder up in the top ten. I feel like he’s gonna really be a tempo setting PG, who can pressure on the other end, and he’s a better shooter than most others like him. And Nogeira is so similar to Noel, the fact that he was considered that much lower amazed me. I love the potential of these two with Horton, and could even see them working if they bought back Josh Smith.

18. Dallas Mavericks (via Atlanta Hawks): PG Shane Larkin, Miami (Fla.)
Rumor had the Mavs were looking to stash someone to free up cap space to chase FAs, but they let two premium foreigners go in front of them moving back. And they could’ve gone Karasev who went next, but they must’ve really liked Larkin. I don’t blame them, I liked him too. He’s small, but makes up for it with elite measurable athleticism, and he’s a better shooter than all the other PG prospects up to this point. At worst he becomes a top level back up.

19. Cleveland Cavaliers: SF Sergey Karasev, Russia
Karasev I totally fell for, along with Schroeder, at the Hoops Summit game, then started digging into him, and liked him more and more. Very creative with the ball as a passer and ball handler, and while he lacks premium athleticism, his shot allows him to get defenders close enough to him to get by them. He’ll have some defensive issues, but he’s got a strong body, and won’t be a complete liability. I would’ve liked this pick more paired with Porter, where he and Bennett to me both have some perimeter defensive issues.

20. Chicago Bulls: SG Tony Snell, New Mexico
I love the Bulls commitment. They know who they are. And they’re gonna do it. Another premium defensive swingman who can shoot it some. Sure it’d be nice if he could put it on the floor a little better, but they’re not gonna let him anyway. Thibs isn’t the let’s get better type, he’s more, let’s not expose our weaknesses. That will once again put more of a load on Rose on offense than one may like, but they’re continuing to surround him with shooters who can run and cut and fill lanes, and who will wreck havoc on the other end. Snell will play. I thought they were gonna go Jamaal Franklin. But there were a ton of options like this. Snell may have the most upside.

Last edited by Thorpesaurous : 06-30-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
ballup
DO THE THING!!!!

If you could, put a line between the picks. Makes it much easier to read.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

21. Minnesota Timberwolves (via Utah Jazz): C Gorgui Dieng, Louisville
I loved Dieng. I saw him a ton the past few years, and he’s a really great defender. It’s not just shot blocking, which he’s excellent at. He’s excellent on a variety of methods of defending the PnR, which is huge in this league. He’s good position wise against bigs. He just does a lot well, and he’s a sneaky good high low passer, and will knock down an elbow jumper. There’s not a ton of upside, but he will play. I feel like this gives them a safety net behind Pecovic, who they may have to let walk next year if they want the money to throw at Love, who may leave irregardless.

22. Brooklyn Nets: C Mason Plumlee, Duke
I was not a huge Plumlee guy, but I have people who’s opinion I trust who liked him more than Zeller, and he went four, so at 22, what more do you want. When the Nets took him I actually thought he was a little like Mr. Kardashian who they already had and didn’t play, but they only have to pay him a tenth of that. So that’s good. If they knew they were on their way to the Celtic Deal, they were only getting depth here one way or the other. Big depth is probably more valuable.

23. Indiana Pacers: SF Solomon Hill, Arizona
I don’t like this pick. He’s more stretch four than a three. Perhaps they’re hoping his depth frees them up to try to more aggressively shop Danny Granger. If I were them I’d be more worried about losing David West, although it sounds like he’ll be back. I’dve rolled the dice on Tony Mitchell, an undoubtedly more talented guy, who’s athleticism may let him play some three himself, and counted on having an established roster and coach to get him to get his shit together.

24. New York Knicks: SG Tim Hardaway Jr., Michigan
This Knick team is the biggest mess of a two seed ever. I suppose they’re planning on letting JR Smith walk. Perhaps Hardaway can step in and shoot it some and defend. He and Shumpert could be a nice pair of perimeter defending wings. Hardaway providing some spacing, Shumpert some playmaking. They weren’t gonna get much to crack them here anyway.

25. Los Angeles Clippers: SF Reggie Bullock, North Carolina
At 25 I really like this pick. His shooting will play off of Paul, and he’ll defend. Again, there were a lot of guys like this, but the bit of extra size Bullock has made me like him a little more than the other guys. Especially here. Crabbe was probably a little better with the ball, but he wasn’t gonna get much outta that with Paul. Franklin was the best defender and athlete and had the best instincts, but his shot was broken.

26. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Golden State Warriors, Minnesota Timberwolves): SF Andre Roberson, Colorado
Again, I really don’t get moving up to get a guy you probably could’ve gotten later. There’s probably visions of Faried here, but I don’t see a guy this one dimensional getting much shot on this roster. Again, I’da swung for the fences with Tony Mitchell, who I really think could turn into a real player out of everyone left. I know he’s a head case, but at least you have the roster to reign him in. Or the next guy, Gobert, who’s length at least give him upside, and he could be stashed. Even Franklin could’ve backed up what Sefolosha does, or Crabbe could probably step right into the Kevin Martin role. Don’t get it.

27. Utah Jazz (via Denver Nuggets): C Rudy Gobert, France
The Jazz acquired this pick for the No. 46 pick, Erick Green, and cash. That's a steal. The biggest player in the draft also is one of the most raw. Gobert has an absurd 7-9 wingspan and was the only barefoot 7-footer in the draft. But he's incredibly skinny and lacks skills. The Jazz can afford to take a flier on a project, though, because they have an excellent frontcourt already. Gobert definitely could be a steal. Or he could be forgotten. At No. 27, that's a good gamble. At one point I was considering gambling on him in the top ten.

28. San Antonio Spurs: SF Livio Jean-Charles, French Guiana
San Antonio is great at this. It was unlikely they’d find a guy who was gonna crack their rotation here anyway, so take a flier on a big live body that maybe in three years when they need the help, will be ready for them. That’s how you wake up one morning and they’ve somehow added three players to a roster that you’d never heard of before and they’re all helping. They could’ve gone with any of the wings, but they all would’ve been depth behind Green and Leonard. But that’s not a bad thing. They tend to find those guys anyway.

29. Phoenix Suns (via Golden State Warriors, Oklahoma City Thunder): SG Archie Goodwin, Kentucky
A this point in the draft, it’s not a bad gamble to bet on the pedigree of Kentucky’s Goodwin. However if you read my mock, I was admittedly not a huge fan. He wasn’t elitely athletic. His jumper needs some serious refinement. And he doesn’t have prototype size. He does have a great motor, great aggression, some good passing instincts, and some creative finishing ability. But he’s not a PG. And I don’t get moving up to get him. Maybe he slips to you, and if he doesn’t, how much different are the Crabbe, Felix, Rice, Franklin group. And now this guy you have guarantee a contract too. Weird pick to me.

30. Golden State Warriors (via Phoenix Suns): PG Nemanja Nedovic, Serbia
I admittedly didn’t know much about this guy but after looking into him, he is definitely a plus athlete as a PG. He’s a little older than most Euros that get taken, so maybe he’s coming over, and is intended to be used to fill in for a possibly leaving Jarret Jack. He seems a little out of control, not a true PG, to let Curry play off the ball, but he will be fun to watch fill the lane next to him. Sounds like he can defend some too.

Last edited by Thorpesaurous : 06-30-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

2ND ROUND
=============

31. Portland Trail Blazers (via Cleveland Cavaliers): SG Allen Crabbe, California
I really liked Crabbe, and couldíve justified him going way earlier, so in spite of some duplication with McCollum, this is a good pick to me.

32. Oklahoma City Thunder: SG Alex Abrines, Spain
Abrines to me is better than the other picks OKC made. A title contending roster aint getting a ton of help at this point. Stash away Abrines, one of the best Spanish prospects out there, and hope you get your Manu Ginobili in three years.

33. Cleveland Cavaliers: SG Carrick Felix, Arizona State
Felix was a guy who wasnít much on my radar until a few weeks ago, then I read he was totally in the Franklin group of defensive wings. This is the type of guy who can last in the league just shooting and defending off the bench. This does mean the Cavs used three picks on guys who kind of all play SF though, which is a little odd, but at least they got a possible roster piece in the second round.

34. Houston Rockets: PG Isaiah Canaan, Murray State
Canaan is the perfect fit for the Rockets, who needed a backup for Jeremy Lin and could use another shooter. Heís got some former Rocket Kyle Lowry in him. And a little Kings PG Isiah Thomas.

35. Washington Wizards (via Philadelphia 76ers): SF Glen Rice Jr., NBA Development League
Love this pick for the Wiz. Had they not taken Porter at three, you coulda talked me into Rice starting next year. Rice has more size than most of the other wings in this glut, and was a very good rebounder against grown men in the DLeague last year. He provides some flexibility defensively with size and athleticism on the wing, and you could use him to go small and move Porter up to PF for small stretches next year. This is a playoff team to me.

36. Sacramento Kings: PG Ray McCallum, Detroit Mercy
McCallum is a pro athlete, and part of a clump of PGs in the second round that I think could fit in the league. He got some knocks for not being pass first, but he was by far the best option at Detroit and playing for his father. He may level off, and because of his size and body, may be able to wrestle the starting spot away from Isiah Thomas, who may really be better suited to being a bench change of pace guy.

37. Detroit Pistons: F Tony Mitchell, North Texas
This is a home run of a gamble pick to me. Had he gone 20 spots sooner, I couldíve defended it just because of what he is physically. And heís actually got more skill than most guys of his knucklehead ilk. Heís a pretty good shooter and ball handler for his body. And he fits here some to me. He can play a little SF, or be an ideal small ball four. With Monroe being such a good passer, if he can keep his head in the game and cut off of him, his body could pay off. Or he may never get it. But at this point who cares.

38. Philadelphia 76ers (via Washington Wizards): PG Nate Wolters, South Dakota State
Wolters is another one of the backup PG clump. He can really really shoot it, but he just wonít be able to defend in the league. I like the fit in Philly. I could see him playing next to MCW off the bench and that way you can hide him some on the worst offensive perimeter player because MCW and Turner can cover a wide range. He wonít play a ton, but his shooting and creativity can give him 10 minutes a night sticking in the league.

39. Portland Trail Blazers: C Jeff Withey, Kansas
Withey at one point was being projected in the first round, and I really didnít like him. But here he makes tons of sense. His shot blocking gives him a pro skill

40. Portland Trail Blazers: PF Grant Jerrett, Arizona
I admittedly donít know a ton about Jerrett, but has a big frame and apparently a great jump shot, He will require some patience. But still, in five years, he could be a starter if everything breaks right. Thatís pretty good at this point

41. Memphis Grizzlies: SG Jamaal Franklin, San Diego State
Franklin widely was expected to be picked in the first round because of his remarkable athleticism. But he plays like a power forward with the body of a shooting guard. He'll have to improve his perimeter skills, but his defense and rebounding could really help a team. Heíll stick because heíll compete. He fits the Grizzlies culture too. You could totally have him step in and replace what Tony Allen does

42. New Orleans Pelicans (via Philadelphia 76ers): PG Pierre Jackson, Baylor
Size is an issue, but Jackson is a tough little bastard, and will play

43. Milwaukee Bucks: SG Ricky Ledo, Providence
Like everyone else, I know little about Ledo other than what Iíve read. His upside is apparently genuine. I had heard rumors of him up near the mid twenties, so here he seems like a steal. He may have more potential than anyone in the second round

44. Atlanta Hawks (via Dallas Mavericks): C Mike Muscala, Bucknell
I loved Muscala at the combine. He totally has skills. And Iím less concerned about him athletically than I am strength wise. I feel like heíll stick as big depth that can be trusted with the ball. Defenitely an asset

45. Portland Trail Blazers: PF Marko Todorovic, Montenegro
I have to admit I know nothing

46. Denver Nuggets (via Utah Jazz): PG Erick Green, Virginia Tech
Green led the nation in scoring, and was the ACC player of the year in spite of playing on a terrible team. He may be capable of more things and just couldnít do it because his team required him to score so much, or he may just be able to come in off the bench as a scoring threat for short bursts. Either way not a bad gamble at this point

47. Atlanta Hawks: PG Raul Neto, Brazil
A draft and stash PG I know little about, but have read good things about. Considering they took Schroeder in the first round, if he does develop, you could be looking at a trade piece down the road

48. Los Angeles Lakers: PF Ryan Kelly, Duke
I actually liked some of Dukes recent guys as under the radar NBA prospects, like Kyle Singler, but Kelly I donít get, even at this point. Ryan Murphy who went next to me was a better version of the same type of player

49. Chicago Bulls: PF Erik Murphy, Florida
Murphy to me at least has the body to pretend to play inside and stretch the floor on the other end from the PF spot. Doesnít have the foot speed to even pretend to play SF to me. Could fall into the fellow Gator Matt Bonner roster filler spot

50. Miami Heat (via Atlanta Hawks): SF James Ennis, Long Beach State
I know nothing

51. Orlando Magic: PF Romero Osby, Oklahoma
I actually saw 5 or so Oklahoma games this year, and always came away impressed with Osby. He seemed like a possible big SF in the NBA to me, or a smallish, active four. He competed hard every time I saw him, and seemed like an NBA athlete. Not terribly skilled, but he could make a roster. As bad as the Magic are, they still might not be a great fit because of their young big depth, but maybe, or maybe he sticks someplace else

52. Minnesota Timberwolves: PG Lorenzo Brown, North Carolina State
Iíd call Lo Brown a steal this low. A bigish PG, heís got real PG vision. He tends to drift in and out of games, which isnít good for a backup, but maybe playing 10 minutes a night will sharpen his focus

53. Boston Celtics (via Indiana Pacers): C Colton Iverson, Colorado State
I truthfully donít know enough to say much. But they do now have this guy, Kelly Olynyk, and Fab Melo on the roster. Thatís a lot of big guys.

54. Philadelphia 76ers (via Washington Wizards): PF Arsalan Kazemi, Oregon
I know nothing

55. Denver Nuggets (via Memphis Grizzlies): PF Joffrey Lauvergne, France
I donít know anything

56. Detroit Pistons: PG Peyton Siva, Louisville
Iíve seen tons of Siva. Were he able to shoot, he couldíve been a first rounder. Heís too gamble oriented, turnover prone, to be an ideal backup. But boy is he a pain in the ass defending full court, and itís possible he sticks just to do that and go nuts tempo wise for short bursts in the league

57. Phoenix Suns: C Alex Oriakhi, Missouri
Oriakhi totally has the body to stick as PF depth in the league. Heís a tough SOB.

58. San Antonio Spurs: SF Deshaun Thomas, Ohio State
Thomas is a crazy tweener. He seemingly canít defend any position. But heís almost like a scoring savant. Mid range jumpers, can bounce it some, catch and shoot. I love this pick this late. You can do some things with this guy if you can hide him defensively

59. Minnesota Timberwolves: PF Bojan Dubljevic, Montenegro
I know nothing

60. Memphis Grizzlies: SF Janis Timma, Latvia
I know nothing
Old 06-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

And Iíll add a comment about the Net Celtic trade, that was such a part of this night. Iím a Celtic fan, and it will be hard to see Pierce in another jersey, but I get it. This is perhaps the most aggressive rebuild project the league has ever seen. I canít remember a team tear it down this quick. And thereís been a lot of knocks about them trading two HOFers for three late first rounders. But the fact is by the time those 16 and 18 picks come around, the Nets could be pretty bad based on age, and not having much financial flexibility, or picks to tinker with their roster, so those picks could be pretty high, and getting added to a roster of guys who should be high picks in 14, plus a second first rounder in 14, and Iím of the mind that they may more Rondo for even more.
Iím not thrilled about sucking the next couple years. Iíve got more questions about Wiggins than most, but I do love Randle, and canít wait to see the depth in next years draft, especially near the top. I think if nothing else this will be an incredibly interesting experiment.

And this 2013 draft was fascinating to me. So much flexibility at the top, and so much depth. Almost nothing at the PF spot, but a lot of functional size. All those backup PG types in the second round. Just a crazy draft, and it played out that way.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Not a fan of McCollum in Portland either. Glad to see someone else thinks that. I think Portland didn't want McCollum either but had no choice as they couldn't trade up/out. He'll be an okay fit in Portland but Shabazz would've been a better fit. The Blazers needed an aggressive scorer like Shabazz to get rid of their "soft", jump shooting label (something not prevalent now but a label that will come to fruition years down the road).

Also, Otto Porter will likely be Rookie of the Year.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Thanks for write up on MCW. Who does he compare too best-worst case scenarios?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Thanks for write up on MCW. Who does he compare too best-worst case scenarios?

He's one of the guys I feel I know most about. At the top end, you're probably looking at what Shaun Livingston seemed to be turning into before that horrific knee injury. He really is great in the open floor. His vision is superb. And he's a total threat to finish. Also, his jumper is as bad as advertised. There's a foundation, so perhaps a full time job of improving it will work, but at the same time the foundation being what it is, you kinda wonder why it is as bad as it is. I'm certain he'll never be a great shooter, but he can probably make himself enough of a threat.
My other big gripe is that he really isn't comfortable handling the ball against pressure. This was painfully obvious seeing him life against the Peyton Siva types of the world more than once. The good news is that that can't be done all game every game over the course of an NBA season. The bad news is that when teams catch on, it may rear it's head in bad spots. He's very much a creator though no matter what. Even if he's just a guy you want in the middle of your fast break, and you use him coming off screens without the ball, then set up sort of isolated pick and rolls for him, because that will absolutely be a strength for him. I'd say there's a little Rubio in him, but I don't think he's as comfortabe with the ball.
I can't really think of a great low end comp. A bench player who plays D and runs a ton of pick and roll, good in the open court, but doesn't really shoot it well. There's probably tons of them, I just can't think of any. Maybe like a Rodney Stuckey type of tweener guard.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: