Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
tgan3
Local High School Star

tgan3 has decent reputation
Default Does anybody has a job that requires you to stand for long hours a day?

I have a normal office job. I tried a weekend job, but I didn't know it required standing for long hours. I stood for 7 hours.

It was crazy, at the end of the day my feet felt like burning and I had problems standing upright. My feet felt sore even after the next day. It didn't help that I also had knee issues so I quitted after that.

Basically, it was the worst job I ever had. I had played basketball for 5-6 hours straight (With resting and hydration in between), but standing for 7 hours is a different animal.

Anyone has a job that requires you to stand 7 hours or more?? How do you even cope with that?
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
StocktonFan
Banned

StocktonFan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Does anybody has a job that requires you to stand for long hours a day?

Does anybody has a job that requires you to stand for long hours a day?

StocktonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Does anybody has a job that requires you to stand for long hours a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StocktonFan
Does anybody has a job that requires you to stand for long hours a day?

What's with you being an asshole to others tonight? I thought you were taking your cranky ass to bed?

Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

I use to waiter and canvass

not that bad cause I was young I suppose
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool

No but I do spend a lot of time on my knees though.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
bergs14
J-Weezy

bergs14 is considered somewhat coolbergs14 is considered somewhat cool

I'm a concreter by trade. That requires me to stand for long hours of the day. Can be quite physically demanding sometimes. I don't think I could handle an office job. I enjoy being outside and getting physical.

Was also going to add that being a concreter has me bending over and being on my knees a lot, but I didn't think that'd go down too well.
bergs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
hoopaddict08
Decent college freshman

hoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected posterhoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected posterhoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected posterhoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected poster

I'm 25 and stand for 8 hours with two fifteen minute breaks. Doesn't bother me at all but your body will adjust a little better over time. Really depends on how old you are. When I go on vacation and come back my legs usually hurt a little the first day but then they are fine for the rest of the week.
hoopaddict08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I worked in some kitchens in college and even just standing still for such a long period of time kind of sucked. I actually enjoyed when I'd have to go down to the freezer or wander around for something in particular just because it'd get my legs moving again. When I'm upright and stationary for that long, it feels like my legs turn into cement.

Years later, I'd actually have that same issue while coaching too. If I just stood around and coached for two hours (giving demonstrations here or there), my legs would feel terrible. That's kind of why I tend to go the route of actively participating in the practices I lead. I figured it was a win-win because it also gives players a continuous template to follow.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

I wait tables as my part-time side gig to my office job. Shifts last 4-7 hours typically. Occasionally I'll work a double, which can run 12+ hours.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
Kaspah
We hoopin?

Kaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm a waiter I stand for a good 8 hours many days a week and I also play basketball every other day if not every day.

I worked 1-10pm last night, I don't have any aches or pains.

It's all about stretching and getting proper rest.

I don't get fcked up every single night and stay up until 6am. I get enough sleep and my blood doesn't hangout with alcohol constantly. I think this equates to a healthy recovery, most of my friends play way less ball, drink much more than me, but they're always exhausted.

And stretching. Soooooo necessary. Whenever I fck something up, I look online how to stretch it well and in different ways, I stick to that for a few days and whatever was bothering me seems to subside.

I'm also only 22 which may be an advantage
Kaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Questions. Are you standing in one place for majority of the time, or do you walk around a lot? There's a huge difference between the two.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Your body will get used to it eventually.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i used to have a job where i was primarily standing. Good shoes make a huge difference.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

On my feet, yeah. Standing in one spot, no. The latter is much, much worse.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 has a terrific reputationimdaman99 has a terrific reputationimdaman99 has a terrific reputationimdaman99 has a terrific reputationimdaman99 has a terrific reputationimdaman99 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Questions. Are you standing in one place for majority of the time, or do you walk around a lot? There's a huge difference between the two.
This. If you stand in 1 place, it gets tiresome and you eventually hate the living shit outa that job. But if you move around, your feet won't hurt as much because they will be moving (don't know if that makes much sense lol, but I feel that way based on experience).
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: