Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
tmacattack33
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Does anybody has a job that requires you to stand for long hours a day?

Yeah, walking around a little is different than just having to stand in spot. So try to move around a little.

I worked the cashier at a convenience store a few years ago. It was bad at first, but you get used to it. Take as many breaks as possible...use the restroom and just chill in there for a while .

The other people working with me used to take breaks and smoke...so maybe start smoking and then u can take cigarette breaks
tmacattack33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
Hot Shot Rox
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Does anybody has a job that requires you to stand for long hours a day?

I work at CVS as a pharmacist intern. Shifts are usually 8 hours of standing. We get to sit down when it's a slow time of the day, which is rare. It took some time for me to get used to. My back and feet would hurt.
Hot Shot Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

You get used to it. The pain is so bad at first that most people throw in the towel. Your body just isn't used to it so it hurts at first, but eventually you feel fine. I would actually go running after a 13 hour shift of standing, and after about two weeks of that I could do one of those shifts without even tiring my legs.

On the other hand, I can't see how people work office jobs. Sitting that long, problems with posture and back pains, time goes by slow af. I can't even sit in the same spot for a full game of football.
PHX_Phan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #19
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea being a cashier at Ace Hardware and also working at a rice mill putting bags of rice in boxes. They ought to let us have chairs.

I have also done a job hand stacking pallets before but you are moving around enough to where you don't feel it in your knees and feet too much. I actually like those jobs because at the end of the day you are exhausted but not in any pain. The jobs where you just stand up and can't move around much just result in discomfort.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
dilley
Kids at the park dunk on me

Yep, I make pizzas for 8-12 hours a day. You get used to being on your feet but no A/C while standing infront of two pizza ovens doesn't help.
dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
scott0326
Local High School Star

I work as a food runner at a restaurant, so its a lot of standing, but I guess I'm moving a lot, so that helps.
scott0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #22
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

I don't personally have the job, but I see it probably more than anyone. I'm an engineer and floor manager in a small manufacturing plant, so I spend most of my time on the computer screwing around with drawings, and our management software.

However, the machinist job is THE job for standing in one place. 8-12 hour shifts depending on how much overtime you want to work, with two 15 minute breaks, and a half hour for lunch. Otherwise, it's standing in one spot. We buy the rubberized matts for guys to stand on, and it seems rediculous, but they're an enormous help. We've also provided a few sort of step like stool seats. You really can't do it with a real seat, even a tall one, because you can't see into the machine, and react like you need to if something is going wrong. These stool things are almost more like leaning planks.
We've started really pushing "cellulized machining", which is where one guy operates two machines at once that are facing each other, and we got a lot of pushback early on, about 7 years ago, but now some guys prefer it because at least there's a little back and fourth movement over the day.

It's a really tough job. And it's a dieing job. And it's unfortunate, because it's a good job. Probably among the best jobs you can get without a college degree. It pays pretty damn well, and there's pretty much all the hours one can eat, because there's more work in this country than there are capable workers in the field. It takes some smarts, some math skills, and the ability to focus and pay attention. Monitoring tooling and cutter life and a few other things, along with creating rythm that lets you produce at a better rate than others, means that it's something you can actually get better at over time, and be better than other people at, which means you get to see some merit driven money differences between you and others, which is nice.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
artex
♫♪♫

Since i was 15 I worked at my family's small market in Gardena on weekends . Standing up for 8 hour shifts stocking/checking was a trip at first because I never expected it to be so tough . I learned to handle it after a couple months . Now im in the main office doin administrative tasks - sales/invoices etc . I think it's funny when people talk shit on minimum wage jobs like a grocery store cart pusher etc but once they try on the apron they realize how ****en weak they are and how tough making a dollar in this world is .

And lol @ tmac attack don't be a lame ass employee . If you're going to do anything do that shit 100% don't pussyfoot around your work .

Last edited by artex : 07-01-2013 at 11:28 AM.
artex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Years ago, when I used to work at a grocery story, I turned down a promotion to be a cashier (they make a few more cents per hour). Everyone starts off as a bagger. Had I wanted to stay there longterm and turn it into something (i.e become a manager), I probably would have, but as a college kid? Didn't care. I loved moving around, and couldn't have imagined standing in a box all day (essentially). My friends who became cashiers there hated it. To me, not worth the extra few bucks a week.

About 3/4 years ago, for some extra income, I worked seasonal at a Toys R' us. I did have to work standing in one spot as a cashier, and not only was standing around horrible, but so was the inability to go to the bathroom whenever I needed.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #25
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

I hang around random parking lots with an empty gasoline container pretending as if I ran out of fuel for my car. This hustle make me 80 - 150 dollars a day depending on the weather. Lots of standing in the heat though.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
lefthook00
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
On my feet, yeah. Standing in one spot, no. The latter is much, much worse.

Agreed. If you have a good gig and you move around a bit, it's actually somewhat energizing and time flies. Standing in one spot will destroy you.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #27
Goliath Uterus
average size weiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
I hang around random parking lots with an empty gasoline container pretending as if I ran out of fuel for my car. This hustle make me 80 - 150 dollars a day depending on the weather. Lots of standing in the heat though.

brb quitting my job.
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
Kungfro
Honk Honk

Had a job out of high school at a furniture factory, basically stood by a machine all day an loaded wood. Wasn't that hard on the feet from what I remember, its surprising how well those anti fatigue mats work.

Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #29
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

I stand up all day, although i'm walking around. I was a machinist for many years and I was stationary for the entire shift, THAT was tiring.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #30
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Worst job I ever had was working at Ross loss prevention. All you do is stand around for hours and walk around sometimes. It wasn't so much that my feet hurt, but that it was boring as hell. Time went by so slow. I started out working in the back and actually WORKING made time go by fast. This wasn't working...it was standing there and walking around the store sometimes to check shit out. The days were so long.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: