Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Electric Slide
Banned

Electric Slide is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Anybody ever join a frat?

what is ur experience there?
Electric Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Anybody ever join a frat?

Yes, it was a good experience. You will get out of it what you put in. If you are active and participate it can be one of the best experiences of your life and you will make life long friends.

Also, don't call it a frat, you will be clowned (would you call your country a c.unt?). It's a fraternity.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Electric Slide
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
Yes, it was a good experience. You will get out of it what you put in. If you are active and participate it can be one of the best experiences of your life and you will make life long friends.

Also, don't call it a frat, you will be clowned (would you call your country a c.unt?). It's a fraternity.
What type of frat did you join, business frat, pre-law frat, or social frat?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Slide
What type of frat did you join, business frat, pre-law frat, or social frat?

Social. The rest of that crap aren't real fraternities, they are clubs.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

lmao what
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Electric Slide
Banned

Quote:
Social. The rest of that crap aren't real fraternities, they are clubs.
are you just saying that because you got hazed while those other guys didn't?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Slide
are you just saying that because you got hazed while those other guys didn't?

No, I'm saying that because I've been through college and I know what they are about. A "business fraternity" is a club that people join so they can put trumped up leadership positions on their resume after they graduate. There is no loyalty, no tradition, no brotherhood. I'm not against them in any way, either; they are what they are. They just aren't real fraternities.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Balla_Status

Balla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputation

Rent-a-friend, join a frat.

They aren't really necessary. Waste of money imo.

With that said, met some decent people that were part of a frat.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Balla_Status

Balla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
lmao what

Yeah, probably the stupidest thing bmulls has said. I am disappoint considering I agree with his political opinions.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Frats are good for networking in your professional life, but I couldnt join because I couldnt see myself getting hazed.. I punching back if I get beat on line.. I knew some guys in college who went over and they took alot of punishment and humiliation to get accepted.. I couldnt do that

I still wouldnt do it, but I do admit there are benefits in the professional and corporate world.. and they do link up to do community service and other good deeds.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Yeah, probably the stupidest thing bmulls has said. I am disappoint considering I agree with his political opinions.

The only people who call them frats are the people who think frat boys wear Abercrombie and Fitch and pooka shell necklaces. Nobody who is a part of greek life (in the SEC/Big 12 south anyway, I don't know about other places) would call their fraternity a frat.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Frats are good for networking in your professional life, but I couldnt join because I couldnt see myself getting hazed.. I punching back if I get beat on line.. I knew some guys in college who went over and they took alot of punishment and humiliation to get accepted.. I couldnt do that

I still wouldnt do it, but I do admit there are benefits in the professional and corporate world.. and they do link up to do community service and other good deeds.

The worst that ever happened to me was 20 pushups, and then during "hell week" they would wake us all up in the middle of the night banging pots and pans and blowing airhorns and have us recite history about the fraternity. They also had strict rules about brothers disrespecting pledges in front of girls and other stuff. For example you weren't allowed to order pledge pushups at parties with girls, or even refer to a pledge as a pledge. We treated them like brothers from day 1.

The torture, the gay stuff, that doesn't happen in the vast majority of chapters. I won't say it never does because I'll still hear a story every now and then.

Bottom line is hazing is a law suit nightmare. I know it was common at one point but the vast majority of fraternities don't do it anymore. If they do, it's an individual chapter going outside the rules. If they are caught doing it there are major fines and sanctions.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
The only people who call them frats are the people who think frat boys wear Abercrombie and Fitch and pooka shell necklaces. Nobody who is a part of greek life (in the SEC/Big 12 south anyway, I don't know about other places) would call their fraternity a frat.
lol it just doesn't make sense to me. i wouldn't call my country a ****... but i would call the united states of america the USA.. because it's much shorter and easier to say. but i guess there are some negative connotations to the word "frat" that people associated with "frat"ernities would prefer to avoid
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
Balla_Status

Quote:

Right. Those that are not in a fraternity though call it a frat.

Best thing about Texas A&M was the low greek life percentage (the corps is a frat basically, didn't join that shit either). My roommate got requested to bring red bull and DJ at a party once. I had no idea it was a rush party. I could not get those frat bros to stop bothering me about joining. Thanks for the free alcohol though.

Frat boys do all wear the same shit though...columbia/magellan fishing shirts all day every day and shorts that would make John Stockton feel embarrassed.

Last edited by Balla_Status : 06-29-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
Electric Slide
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Rent-a-friend, join a frat.

They aren't really necessary. Waste of money imo.

With that said, met some decent people that were part of a frat.
frats are the most reliable way to make friends in college though. what are other ways?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: