Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star

longhornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Obama administration wants to do away with mandatory minimums for drug users.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...orm-us-prisons

Obama is trying to do away with mandatory minimums. I actually agree with them.

Last edited by longhornfan1234 : 08-13-2013 at 11:53 AM.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Obama administration wants to do away with mandatory minimums for drug users.

You mean he wants to do away with mandatory minimum prison sentences for drug dealers.

Not everyone is bout dat life homie .

I thought this was going to be about healthcare and health insurance minimums and drugs as in medicine.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star

longhornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Obama administration wants to do away with mandatory minimums for drug users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33
You mean he wants to do away with mandatory minimum prison sentences for drug dealers.

Not everyone is bout dat life homie .

I thought this was going to be about healthcare and health insurance minimums and drugs as in medicine.

I've no idea what this means.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
FillJackson
I brick open layups

FillJackson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...orm-us-prisons

Obama is trying to do away with mandatory minimums. I actually agree with them.

You agree with him or you with agree with them.

I think this is what the confusion is about.
FillJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillJackson
You agree with him or you with agree with them.

I think this is what the confusion is about.

I agree with Obama and his administration.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

As someone who works in law enforcement, trust me this would be a good thing
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The War on Drugs and the laws created to keep giving it momentum are a travesty and a borderline crime against humanity.

Nothing has ever failed harder in every aspect, the mass-imprisonments created a cultural bi-product where in many circles criminals are revered and drug dealers are demi-Gods.

F*ck me, they at one time had the former head football coach at Colorado University as the 'drug czar' to get people to take to it, and now that state was the first to legalize weed.

Control it, tax it, and let Darwin's theory work on the addicts.

Its like my boy Fat Mike once said:

"drugs are good, and when you do them people think that you're cool."

He never would have thought this way if drugs weren't glamorized as the pinnacle of rebellion.

Barry O finally does something right.

Now it is time to follow Peter Tosh's and:

"Set those ganja prisoners free!"

Me nah goa gaol, fee ganja no more!
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
COnDEMnED
Local High School Star

COnDEMnED is a pretty well-respected posterCOnDEMnED is a pretty well-respected posterCOnDEMnED is a pretty well-respected posterCOnDEMnED is a pretty well-respected poster

How about we just legalize Mary Jane, grow the crops, package it in green Marlboro packs, tax it, or make it legal to grow your own (up to a reasonable amount)? We can kick the shit out of this debt and recession in one swoop. We would be creating a new legal billion dollar industry, hundreds of thousands of new jobs, and the economy would get an instant boost from sales. I just don't understand....it seems so simple.
COnDEMnED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by COnDEMnED
How about we just legalize Mary Jane, grow the crops, package it in green Marlboro packs, tax it, or make it legal to grow your own (up to a reasonable amount)? We can kick the shit out of this debt and recession in one swoop. We would be creating a new legal billion dollar industry, hundreds of thousands of new jobs, and the economy would get an instant boost from sales. I just don't understand....it seems so simple.

We have a long way to go. I got pulled over the other night for no reason and K9s searched my vehicle. I don't even smoke weed but they were desperately trying to bag me for something
kNicKz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
2013 Lakers
Kids at the park dunk on me

2013 Lakers has an OK reputation so far

Drug users shouldn't even be in prison.

Drug dealers or producers, yeah. That's fine.
2013 Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by COnDEMnED
We would be creating a new legal billion dollar industry

And destroying multi-billion dollar industries along the way that currently rely on these draconian drug policies, including our own government.

It's already changing but only because public perception has changed so much.

The green rush is coming.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
COnDEMnED
Local High School Star

COnDEMnED is a pretty well-respected posterCOnDEMnED is a pretty well-respected posterCOnDEMnED is a pretty well-respected posterCOnDEMnED is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
And destroying multi-billion dollar industries along the way that currently rely on these draconian drug policies, including our own government.

It's already changing but only because public perception has changed so much.

The green rush is coming.
Well something has to change. Maybe those other multi-billion dollar industries that rely on these shit policies deserve to crash and burn. My brother is a junkie, has been for almost 8 years now, I've witnessed first hand how broken and bias the current policies are. Prop 36 being one of the biggest full of shit programs my brother was put in. The system was so weak and vague, he used and abused that program to stay out of jail and continue his drug use under the protection of the "3 strike" rule before you get kicked out of the program and sent back to prison. Obviously, the "3 strike" rule only counts against you when you get caught.

First things first, drug tests should not be taken from pee samples, I cannot tell you how many whizzinators and water bottles filled with piss I have thrown away. If the billion dollar whizzinator industry takes a hit from the legalization of pot, so be it. LOL

Secondly, the legalization of Pot wont help nor hinder my brother with his addiction to the harder drugs, for cases like his, the new policies should switch from mandatory prison sentences to mandatory rehab sentences, but unlike prop 36, it should be strict. It should be mandatory completion, none of this "if you get caught using, you get kicked out of rehab"...which in and of itself is one of the DUMBEST rules I have ever seen for an organization who supposedly specializes in clean living. Of course they are going to use, that's why they are there in the first place, right? Seems like kicking them out for using would only give them what THEY want. So, I propose a structure similar to prison, you do well and excel, you gain liberties. You do bad and test positive, instead of kicking you out, they tack on extra months. Eventually they would get the picture, you get clean or you live in a controlled environment. The answer for addicts of harder drugs is stricter rehab policies, the answer for pot dealers should be give them a business model.

Thirdly, our parole system needs to be looked at very closely. My brother has been on parole for almost 4 years now, these are people who are supposed to keep up on you to make sure your taking the right steps to continuing a clean lifestyle, working on getting a job, and staying away from those bad "friends" who do drugs or are also dealers. They are also supposed to do surprise inspections of your residence for drugs and perform on the spot drug tests. For the years I lived with my brother, I have seen his parole officer come to the house 4 times. 4 TIMES in 4 years... the parole system either needs to get more funding to hire more people, or be completely dismantled and built back up in a different way. It doesn't work here in LA.
COnDEMnED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
FillJackson
I brick open layups

FillJackson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
I agree with Obama and his administration.

Them sounded like you agreed with the policies.

I think they floated this as a trial balloon last year.

This seems a small first step. However, this step by Holder only applies to the federal level. Wouldn't affect most drug arrests, but it can send a signal to local DA's that they don't have charge the highest crimes. That is, prosecutors, not judges do have some leeway with this.
FillJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The "War on Drugs" is one of the biggest policy disasters in the history of the U.S. It is an inhumane, antiquated way to look at the world.

The worst part is, things have gotten worse over the last 40 years of this pathetic legislation.

It has created a massive prison industrial complex which is pretty scary for a society that truly seems to believe it is free. The incredible number of people ushered into prison every year serving lengthy sentences for nonviolent drug arrests is completely insane. In 1980, 10-percent of the prison population was made up of nonviolent drug offenders. That was considered a very high number at the time.

Thirty years later, that number is 25-percent.

The drug war has failed. My generation went through elementary school with the "DARE" program in full swing. We were inundated with government propaganda and scare tactics when it came to drug use/sale. It was Nancy Reagan's one big issue. More nonviolent drug arrests were made as a deterrent.

All of this, and what did we find? Drug use has been on a steady rise since the 1990s. My generation is proof that strict prohibition does not work. It didn't work with alcohol and it won't work with any other drug.

I've always promoted the legalization of drugs so that they can be regulated, studied and taxed. The billion-trillion dollar black market for drugs would be destroyed immediately. We wouldn't have relatives/friends who really need treatment being thrown in a cage with rapists and murders.

The U.S. really should be outraged over this policy. Instead, people take cues from the political party of their choice and lose their sh!t over legislation that isn't likely to have a big impact on their lives. This should be the source of protests all over the country every day.

People blindly accept it because the government has successfully created an atmosphere wherein drugs are viewed as inherently evil and drug users are seen as the enemy. It's an outrage for a country which prides itself on "freedom."
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
dude77
NBA lottery pick

dude77 has an OK reputation so far

sounds right .. mandatory sentence for doing some drug or whatever else is a bit harsh .. they need to reapply those sentences to crimes that actually harm other people .. like pedophiles, drunk drivers, etc ..

then again, when you're high on certain things, you can do harm to other people so it's not completely a victimless crime in certain situations
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: