Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-18-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people
Arrow something wrong with ish, and most messageboards

Two words that NEVER contribute anything positive to threads.

I am sure everyone here understands how threads about players like Kobe or Wade can turn into flamewars. One of the reasons this happens is the frequent use of the words “*******” and “h8ter”. Notice how the words is censored – whoever controls the censor realizes no good comes from this word. Calling someone a ***** will usually result in them calling you a *******. Then, as usual, all hell is prone to break loose.

Calling someone a groopy is done to insult their objectivity in an argument about a player or team, same thing with calling someone a *****. The ability to do this gives everyone a low blow they can use; using it can quickly turn the debate personal, resulting in a flamewar. When calling someone a ******* there are two situations that ruin arguments:

a) other people will follow suit in dismissing your comments as ******* crap, effectively halting an argument because people on this board mentally block out the possibility of being beaten by a *******, or

b) only the person who called you a ******* take it as the absolute truth and subconsciously disregard ANY comments you make that might be logical, correct, unbiased etc.. This situation occurs when there is no one else involved in the argument.

Those two situations are pretty much the same thing. But that **** happens. This board is FULL of pompous ****heads that make themselves a god in their own mind so that they won’t have to deal with arguments that beat theirs, because the “*******” giving them is below them, not worth their time. Or they will just ignore the arguments completely and attack your character *cough vcridesapony cough*

To sum up my little rambling, using the words I spoke about are easy outs for people, ways of dismissing posters and their arguments; even though the words appear to be basketball related, they are simply personal attacks. ******** aren’t worth arguing with, right? They are blind to the truth, right? They hype their own player regardless, right? I won this argument because I’m not a *******, right?! I’m not saying their aren’t true ******** or true ******, I’m saying the liberal use of these words is bull****.

For those who have actually toughed it out and suffered through my rambling, here is my suggested solution is to ban all the variations of the words.

You can’t control what posters say, but at least don’t half-ass the censor.

Edit: I made this post without knowing they actually do ban the word "hate-r".

Last edited by Bourne : 02-18-2007 at 12:36 AM.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: something wrong with ish, and most messageboards

kids type and use playground language as an impulse. it's not that serious. obviously the bad mouthing is an eyesore but the idea to ban them is so oldschool. they're just slangs...slangs for pete's sake...who gives a crap. all things said here hold the same value no matter how eticquetly they are written...

Last edited by FashionIssues : 02-18-2007 at 01:12 AM.
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

At first look I thought this was an angry rant with a ****load of swearing. Turns out it was a rant, but a G-rated one.

I agree obviously, although it doesn't matter what you say, as people will still use them. Same thing with "homer", which isn't censored (I don't think). And it doesn't always lead to flamewars, a lot of the time it's simply dismissed.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Intelligent fans can have normal, good, in-depth discussions.

Unintelligent fans tend to just be capable of shallow one-liners, toss insults around in place of real thoughts, and are overly-sensitive anytime their favorite player is discussed.

The key is finding a balance between those two types of fans.

And the key is simple: Everyone focus on talking basketball, not insulting people.

Last edited by insidehoops : 02-18-2007 at 01:16 AM.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

The sports team from my area is superior to the sports team from your area.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

I don't like how the board sends you back to the same topic after you make a reply rather than back to the forum topic listing like ezboards do.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #7
nashforprez
Local High School Star

nashforprez has an OK reputation so far

this reminds me of a conversation i had with a kid who said you shouldn't say frick because it has the same meaning of ****.
nashforprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:18 AM   #8
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionIssues
kids type and use playground language as an impulse. it's not that serious. obviously the bad mouthing is an eyesore but the idea to ban them is so oldschool. they're just slangs...slangs for pete's sake...who gives a crap. all things said here hold the same value no matter how eticquetly they are written...

Did you read it? The use of them leads to stuff, the words don't offend or anything like that.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: