Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #391
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
That is 1 point ppr though isnt it?
yes, in standard Forte is only 7 spots ahead of CJ...guess for .5 we would pick the middle point of 7 and 16...which is 12, exactly one round
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #392
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
the average person has Forte about 16 spots ahead of CJ

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/ranki...heatsheets.php

the average person also has Bowe 12 spots above Nicks
Those rankings are horrendous and we aren't playing in a full ppr league.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #393
TheSilentKiller
5-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Not considering injuries, I have Forte over Johnson and Nicks over Bowe. I really worry about Forte staying healthy and a potential increased role for Michael Bush. And I think Nicks has a huge ceiling if he stays healthy. Like top 5 receiver.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #394
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Those rankings are horrendous and we aren't playing in a full ppr league.
those rankings are the average of every ranking out there

that is the rotten tomatoes of FF

best site for fantasy IMO...they are great at week to week player comparisons as well...if you are going back and forth between two people you should check that site out...
Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #395
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
those rankings are the average of every ranking out there

that is the rotten tomatoes of FF

best site for fantasy IMO...they are great at week to week player comparisons as well...if you are going back and forth between two people you should check that site out...
Demarco Murray 41st? Consensus is often pretty stupid. Maybe their regular rankings are better... I didn't look. But those ppr ratings are horrible imo.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #396
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Demarco Murray 41st? Consensus is often pretty stupid. Maybe their regular rankings are better... I didn't look. But those ppr ratings are horrible imo.
Murray is 36th in standard, GoBB reached for him in our league by quite a bit

actually in this league almost every RB is probably overrated a little...everyone went RB nuts very quickly...WRs fell to people
Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #397
TheSilentKiller
5-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thing is, preseason rankings don't really mean anything. Yeah, they provide a guideline for where people will probably end up, but it's impossible to count for break out season, injuries, and even simple slumps.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #398
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
Thing is, preseason rankings don't really mean anything. Yeah, they provide a guideline for where people will probably end up, but it's impossible to count for break out season, injuries, and even simple slumps.
obviously the rankings at the end of the season will be very different than now...just like players being drafted in the actual NFL end up much different than projected, I mean shit maybe CJ does 2.5k, maybe Ronnie Hillman shocks everyone including Denver and goes ape shit and ends up a top-5 fantasy RB

the thing is that right now prospect power is what we are FORCED to go by...we shouldn't view a consensus 4th round player on par with a consensus 2nd round player just because "you never know!"
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #399
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Murray is 36th in standard, GoBB reached for him in our league by quite a bit

actually in this league almost every RB is probably overrated a little...everyone went RB nuts very quickly...WRs fell to people
He didn't reach. He went in roughly the same spot in my other draft. If you are drafting based on the idea that RBs like Murray are still going to be there in the 4th round, I say good luck to you.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #400
TheSilentKiller
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
obviously the rankings at the end of the season will be very different than now...just like players being drafted in the actual NFL end up much different than projected, I mean shit maybe CJ does 2.5k, maybe Ronnie Hillman shocks everyone including Denver and goes ape shit and ends up a top-5 fantasy RB

the thing is that right now prospect power is what we are FORCED to go by...we shouldn't view a consensus 4th round player on par with a consensus 2nd round player just because "you never know!"
I hope you realize I didn't make this trade on a "you never know" type thought process. I actually value CJ over Forte. I am not trying to be cute and taking someone who is viewed as worse just to say I told you so at the end of the season.

And there is no point to playing fantasy football if you don't form your own opinion. Sure, the experts know more than me and shit but I still have my own preferences for a shit ton of reasons.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #401
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

this is the site's rankings by position for week 1:

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/qb.php

This week I was having trouble picking between Mark Ingram and Brandon Pettigrew (I really hate that I have to play one of the two)

so I can click on Ingram's name in that list and bring up his profile...and then in that profile there is a "compare players" tab. I type in Brandon Pettigrew's name and get this:

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/start...ark-ingram.php

that shows who all the supposed "experts" have...which in standard scoring Ingram is a 91% favorite

I can hit "switch to PPR" which shows Pettigrew as a 77% favorite

this league being .5 PPR, I would want to take the mid of those two averages, which gives a slight edge to Ingram...

could the consensus be wrong? of course they can, but at least I know where the odds are, and FF is nothing but a game of odds really.

Vegas NFL point spreads are wrong all the time too, but they know where the odds are, and those point spreads are just created by the gamblers and where the money is going.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #402
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
this is the site's rankings by position for week 1:

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/qb.php

This week I was having trouble picking between Mark Ingram and Brandon Pettigrew (I really hate that I have to play one of the two)

so I can click on Ingram's name in that list and bring up his profile...and then in that profile there is a "compare players" tab. I type in Brandon Pettigrew's name and get this:

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/start...ark-ingram.php

that shows who all the supposed "experts" have...which in standard scoring Ingram is a 91% favorite

I can hit "switch to PPR" which shows Pettigrew as a 77% favorite

this league being .5 PPR, I would want to take the mid of those two averages, which gives a slight edge to Ingram...

could the consensus be wrong? of course they can, but at least I know where the odds are, and FF is nothing but a game of odds really.

Vegas NFL point spreads are wrong all the time too, but they know where the odds are, and those point spreads are just created by the gamblers and where the money is going.
That's a cool feature. I just think the PPR rankings are bunk and my other money league is full PPR.

I have yet to be a part of any draft where RBs fall that far, regardless of the scoring format. This does better explain the strategy you utilized in the draft, though. You didn't take positional needs/depth into account with your draft order. You simply took the BPA.

I'm interested to see how that turns out because it is an interesting strategy. This year, I was of the mind that, if you don't get your top RBs very early in the draft, you were going to be stuck starting some really mediocre/poor players.

We didn't really address this post-draft, although we did touch upon it briefly in the chat during the draft...

To me, there are several things you have to take into account. First and foremost is the dropoff between the WRs you can get in the 1st and 2nd rounds as compared to the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds, along with the RBs you can get in the 1st and 2nd rounds, as opposed to the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds.

Hell, in our draft, there were still really quality receivers like TY Hilton, Josh Gordon, Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, etc. in the 7th round and beyond. Meanwhile, the RB position was pretty much a wasteland after 3rd round or so. That isn't to say you can't find a quality starters beyond the 3rd round, but that position is almost completely sapped long before the WR position.

I did incorporate your strategy a couple years ago in this league and it worked out well. I took Calvin Johnson first and I believe Nicks second... And I ended up making it to the championship. I will say that the RB class was much, much deeper that season... But still, maybe it will work out for you. It's a risky strategy though.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 09-03-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #403
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

RBA after the top 10 RBs they flatten out...and that site accounts for that, there are 10 RBs projected to go in round 1...everyone except Calvin and Dez I believe

I just choose Calvin because he is safe...probably half the RBs that went in the 1st will bust due to either injury or just not playing well

1. Arian Foster
(Hou - RB)
My Favorite ...
2. Aaron Rodgers
(GB - QB)
NataliePortm...
3. Ray Rice
(Bal - RB)
Baseketball4...
4. LeSean McCoy
(Phi - RB)
Doomsday Dallas
5. Chris Johnson
(Ten - RB)
Team RBA
6. Calvin Johnson
(Det - WR)
Illini Money
7. Tom Brady
(NE - QB)
The JBs
8. Darren McFadden
(Oak - RB)
Young and Hu...
9. Ryan Mathews
(SD - RB)
Jazz Ballers
10. Drew Brees
(NO - QB)
-spillertime-
11. Matt Forte
(Chi - RB)
The Silent K...
12. Maurice Jones-Drew
(Jac - RB)
GOBB iz GOOD...

^^^ last years draft, the first round...RED = was not a top-12 RB

Chris Johnson was actually #13 so he was close

the other players taken?...Brees was the highest scoring player PERIOD, Rodgers was the 2nd highest scorer overall, and Brady was the 3rd highest scorer in the league overall, ALL 3 QBs where the top-3 scorers in the league. and Calvin was the 3rd highest scorer that was not a QB, behind just Peterson and Martin.

ALL of the non-RB picks worked out great...very low risk
Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #404
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

I don't completely disagree with your point but "top overall scorer" means absolutely nothing. It's what you score relative to other players at the same position.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #405
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
RBA after the top 10 RBs they flatten out...and that site accounts for that, there are 10 RBs projected to go in round 1...everyone except Calvin and Dez I believe

I just choose Calvin because he is safe...probably half the RBs that went in the 1st will bust due to either injury or just not playing well

1. Arian Foster
(Hou - RB)
My Favorite ...
2. Aaron Rodgers
(GB - QB)
NataliePortm...
3. Ray Rice
(Bal - RB)
Baseketball4...
4. LeSean McCoy
(Phi - RB)
Doomsday Dallas
5. Chris Johnson
(Ten - RB)
Team RBA
6. Calvin Johnson
(Det - WR)
Illini Money
7. Tom Brady
(NE - QB)
The JBs
8. Darren McFadden
(Oak - RB)
Young and Hu...
9. Ryan Mathews
(SD - RB)
Jazz Ballers
10. Drew Brees
(NO - QB)
-spillertime-
11. Matt Forte
(Chi - RB)
The Silent K...
12. Maurice Jones-Drew
(Jac - RB)
GOBB iz GOOD...

^^^ last years draft, the first round...RED = was not a top-12 RB

Chris Johnson was actually #13 so he was close

the other players taken?...Brees was the highest scoring player PERIOD, Rodgers was the 2nd highest scorer overall, and Brady was the 3rd highest scorer in the league overall, ALL 3 QBs where the top-3 scorers in the league. and Calvin was the 3rd highest scorer that was not a QB, behind just Peterson and Martin.

ALL of the non-RB picks worked out great...very low risk
The draft is rarely won in first round.
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: