Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #751
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 26,748
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
It's because he hit with his RB's. He's got Fred Jackson who nobody would have thought was going to split carries with Spiller. Ray Rice got hurt and he got Pierce who has been a full time back now and woulda went earlier had people known that. Mendenhall had that one blowup week, so prime has pulled off 18-20 from his backs each week so far or atleast the past two which is a decent average.

Facts are in our league there are 24 starting RB's, 12 starting QB's, 12 starting TE's, 36 starting WR's and an additional 12 spots for RB's/WR's. Besides the guys who got Rodgers, Peyton, Brees most of us are comparable at the QB position, WR's are everywhere. Getting 2 starting RB's is pretty valuable.

Obviously useless if you miss at every other position, or if you disregard RB's but still end up getting decent numbers so far.

I'll be curious to see what happens if Spiller takes back his carries, Ray Rice comes back, and Mendenhall is a 7-8 point back.

I think we are all starting 11/12 of the top scoring QB's in our league. Over half are within 5 points of eachother. I'd imagine the gap between some peoples RB2 and others is pretty large.
Yep, you pretty much hit it exactly right. If you don't go RB early, you need to catch a few breaks the way -pt- has with FJax, Mendy and Pierce. Don't get me wrong, he made some shrewd draft picks, but I still have questions about the longterm viability of those three, but he has made it work so far.

I think it's a stretch to try to take that pretty unique situation and conclude his style of drafting is the way to go. It is still very much in the experimental phase.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #752
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 15,000
-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
They're valuable but not even close to the same thing as RBs because you only have to start one TE, which means most teams don't keep more than 2 on a roster. So, the pool isn't as picked over as RB.
1TE spot + flex
2RB spots + flex

Wouldn't just 3 elite TEs out there be the same as just 6 elite RBs out there?

On top of that Graham is scoring more than any RB is

I don't see how your logic doesn't put Graham ahead of the RBs
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #753
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 15,000
-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Yep, you pretty much hit it exactly right. If you don't go RB early, you need to catch a few breaks the way -pt- has with FJax, Mendy and Pierce. Don't get me wrong, he made some shrewd draft picks, but I still have questions about the longterm viability of those three, but he has made it work so far.

I think it's a stretch to try to take that pretty unique situation and conclude his style of drafting is the way to go. It is still very much in the experimental phase.
Did you know I have yet to even play Fred Jackson?

I played Pierce for the first time once...last week

I played Ivory weeks 1 and 2 who got me NOTHING...and Mendy who has been average

I'm 2nd in points because of everyone else on my team...not my RBs

In fact I bet I'm the lowest scoring player in this league at RB so far.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #754
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 26,748
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
1TE spot + flex
2RB spots + flex

Wouldn't just 3 elite TEs out there be the same as just 6 elite RBs out there?

On top of that Graham is scoring more than any RB is

I don't see how your logic doesn't put Graham ahead of the RBs
No, it's not the same thing at all. Every team in this league has to start at least two RBs. If you have a mediocre RB1, how bad is your RB2 going to be? Or the guy you have to put in on a bye week?

If I had to, I could probably find a starting TE right now who would probably be semi-decent as a one week replacement. That is just not possible for the RB position.

If you don't have the guys on your roster currently and you don't make a big trade, chances are you're f#cked.

Also, even if we buy into your premise that there are just six RBs in the league worth having, that's still half the teams in the league which you have to face who will just kill you at the RB spot... As compared to (again, your premise) just three teams who have elite TEs.

There is just no comparison. The only position that compares to RB in terms of importance is WR and the league is overflowing with quality receiver options.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #755
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 26,748
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Did you know I have yet to even play Fred Jackson?

I played Pierce for the first time once...last week

I played Ivory weeks 1 and 2 who got me NOTHING...and Mendy who has been average

I'm 2nd in points because of everyone else on my team...not my RBs

In fact I bet I'm the lowest scoring player in this league at RB so far.
I can pretty much guarantee that's me. I've been starting Richardson and Wilson all three weeks. Wilson has a total of about 5 points & TRich isn't far ahead of him.

I'm 2-1 because the other guys on my team... And, again, I went RB-WR-RB in the first three rounds. Again, that's the whole point. You can go RB early and still fill out a very nice team in the other positions.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #756
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 9,829
NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Did you know I have yet to even play Fred Jackson?

I played Pierce for the first time once...last week

I played Ivory weeks 1 and 2 who got me NOTHING...and Mendy who has been average

I'm 2nd in points because of everyone else on my team...not my RBs

In fact I bet I'm the lowest scoring player in this league at RB so far.

Mendenhall went for 16.4 + Ivory going for 5.2 week 2. Pierce went for 14.2 points this week and Mendenhall for 4.6. Ivory and Mendenhall tanked week 1 and I'd really be curious to see what would happen going forward if that was the case, which it would have been had Ray Rice not got hurt and Jackson not took carries from Spiller.

You've basically had a number 1 RB 2/3 week + scrub. You won our matchup by 10 points, week 1 & 2 didn't really matter tho.


Quote:
Wouldn't just 3 elite TEs out there be the same as just 6 elite RBs out there?

On top of that Graham is scoring more than any RB is

I don't see how your logic doesn't put Graham ahead of the RBs

Not really. There's 3 TE's who's split themselves from the pack so far. 70/60/50. The next 8 are all in the same ball park. Meaning just like QB in a H2H league odds are you face somebody in the same ball park.

Even than give me an elite RB in the first + Jimmy Graham in the 2nd instead of something like Brees + Brandon Marshall because I feel confident in getting a better WR/QB in rounds 3-4 than I would getting a RB. You also got Calvin, I actually thought he might drop to me at 10# after reading all that RB craze. Kinda made your plan for you, you woulda went RB too if he got picked 2nd or something.

RB position is thin, you need to start two. Meaning everybody is going to go after RB's early because it's not just about scoring points, it's about maximizing your point potential. If you can snag a RB1 + the 7th best QB that's better than getting Drew Brees but starting a scrub because while Drew scores the most points out of everybody, your total is a combination of all positions that you MUST start.

Your strategy really worked out tho. Going forward with Fred Jackson, Pierce if Rice doesn't stay healthy + all your weapons is sick.

I don't even know much about fantasy football or anything like that. It's just math/odds/probability/value etc. etc. There's a reason where everywhere you looked at had RB's going high in drafts, just people using logic. Obviously exceptions and different circumstances happen, such as taking Calvin first and than Rodgers falling to the 3rd.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #757
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 15,000
-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
No, it's not the same thing at all. Every team in this league has to start at least two RBs. If you have a mediocre RB1, how bad is your RB2 going to be? Or the guy you have to put in on a bye week?

If I had to, I could probably find a starting TE right now who would probably be semi-decent as a one week replacement. That is just not possible for the RB position.

If you don't have the guys on your roster currently and you don't make a big trade, chances are you're f#cked.

Also, even if we buy into your premise that there are just six RBs in the league worth having, that's still half the teams in the league which you have to face who will just kill you at the RB spot... As compared to (again, your premise) just three teams who have elite TEs.

There is just no comparison. The only position that compares to RB in terms of importance is WR and the league is overflowing with quality receiver options.
No no no...I'm not saying there are only six RBs in the league worth having, I'm saying if there are only 3 elite TE spots out there but we are all forced to play one...that is equal to only six elite RBs out there and we are all forced to play two...understand?


Let me ask you this...if you knew ahead of time that Graham would finish the year scoring just 10 points more than the top scoring RB, would you still take a RB over Graham?
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #758
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 15,000
-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I can pretty much guarantee that's me. I've been starting Richardson and Wilson all three weeks. Wilson has a total of about 5 points & TRich isn't far ahead of him.

I'm 2-1 because the other guys on my team... And, again, I went RB-WR-RB in the first three rounds. Again, that's the whole point. You can go RB early and still fill out a very nice team in the other positions.
Maybe your RBs are worse than mine...maybe I'll do the math later.

Obviously you can pick any combo of positions and form a good team IF YOU HIT...I'm saying it is much more difficult to hit on RBs than all the other positions...my strategy is much safer...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #759
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 15,000
-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
Mendenhall went for 16.4 + Ivory going for 5.2 week 2. Pierce went for 14.2 points this week and Mendenhall for 4.6. Ivory and Mendenhall tanked week 1 and I'd really be curious to see what would happen going forward if that was the case, which it would have been had Ray Rice not got hurt and Jackson not took carries from Spiller.

You've basically had a number 1 RB 2/3 week + scrub. You won our matchup by 10 points, week 1 & 2 didn't really matter tho.




Not really. There's 3 TE's who's split themselves from the pack so far. 70/60/50. The next 8 are all in the same ball park. Meaning just like QB in a H2H league odds are you face somebody in the same ball park.

Even than give me an elite RB in the first + Jimmy Graham in the 2nd instead of something like Brees + Brandon Marshall because I feel confident in getting a better WR/QB in rounds 3-4 than I would getting a RB. You also got Calvin, I actually thought he might drop to me at 10# after reading all that RB craze. Kinda made your plan for you, you woulda went RB too if he got picked 2nd or something.

RB position is thin, you need to start two. Meaning everybody is going to go after RB's early because it's not just about scoring points, it's about maximizing your point potential. If you can snag a RB1 + the 7th best QB that's better than getting Drew Brees but starting a scrub because while Drew scores the most points out of everybody, your total is a combination of all positions that you MUST start.

Your strategy really worked out tho. Going forward with Fred Jackson, Pierce if Rice doesn't stay healthy + all your weapons is sick.

I don't even know much about fantasy football or anything like that. It's just math/odds/probability/value etc. etc. There's a reason where everywhere you looked at had RB's going high in drafts, just people using logic. Obviously exceptions and different circumstances happen, such as taking Calvin first and than Rodgers falling to the 3rd.
I used this same strategy last year and won the league...I played Shonn Greene the whole year and even though I hit with Spiller in a later round he was injured half the year...he didn't even play that much at all.

To me the logic is simple PICK THE PLAYER WHO YOU THINK WILL SCORE THE MOST POINTS.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #760
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 26,748
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
No no no...I'm not saying there are only six RBs in the league worth having, I'm saying if there are only 3 elite TE spots out there but we are all forced to play one...that is equal to only six elite RBs out there and we are all forced to play two...understand?
No, I don't agree with that hypothesis. First of all, like I said, if there are only three elite TEs, then that means the majority of the teams in the league are comparable to you with just an OK tight end.

If your RBs stink and six teams have at least one elite RB, you're going to spend the majority of the season playing against teams who blow you away in the RB department.

Additionally, as I've said, it's not just about the one RB position. If you don't address the RB spot early, it not only means starting a mediocre player at your RB1, but likely an awful option at the RB2. You can wait on a TE and get an adequate starter later on. If you wait on a RB, you're going to be getting your RB1 when everyone else is picking an RB2 and you will be picking your RB2 with guys who would be on other teams' benches.

To put it in terms of simple mathematics, RBs compose at least 17% of your starting lineup, possibly 25% depending on your flex.

Meanwhile, TEs compose at least 8% of your starting lineup, possibly 17% depending on your flex.

You can hit on a RB or TE at any point in the draft, but in the past, I've been very good about maximizing the TE spot without picking early. Three years ago, I got Graham in the 8th round, I believe (maybe even later). This year, I didn't go TE early and still ended up with Finley/Cameron.

Thing about it is, like I said, you can pick a TE in the last round and there will probably be starters left who, if you pick it right, will probably be at least adequate.

In my experience as a fantasy football player, trying to hit on obscure RB picks after the 4th round is extremely hard. And, trying to fill both starting spots after not taking a RB in the first 2-3 rounds is almost impossible.

And, also in my experienes, it will eventually come back to bite you unless a trade is made. We'll see if your experience is any different this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Let me ask you this...if you knew ahead of time that Graham would finish the year scoring just 10 points more than the top scoring RB, would you still take a RB over Graham?

Absolutely take the RB. It's not just about how many points they score, it's about maximizing your point potential. After you fill that RB1 spot, there is only one more starting spot you need to fill with a RB... And, in my experiences, there's plenty of quality TEs left after the first few rounds. That isn't the case with RBs, imo.

This isn't just done haphazardly. When you prepare for the draft, you look at all the positions and figure out who you like and when you might be able to get them. I knew I was going after Cameron in the later rounds and had a good feeling about him as a productive fantasy player.

On the flipside, I looked at the RB position and saw a barren wasteland after the first few rounds. That's what dictates the order of importance when it comes to positions.

This is a conversation which is best to have at the end of the year. We're three weeks in. So far, your experiment has been successful. We'll see if you're eventually scrambling due to your RBs.


Btw, I've gotten an average of 10.50 points for the first three weeks out of my two starting RB positions. You've gotten an average of 16.3 points per week.

We'll see if your guys continue to produce at that level and my guys continue to sh!t the bed. I'd bet that our respective draft strategies eventually begin to show themselves. So far this year, they have not.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 09-25-2013 at 01:00 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #761
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 26,748
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I used this same strategy last year and won the league...I played Shonn Greene the whole year and even though I hit with Spiller in a later round he was injured half the year...he didn't even play that much at all.

To me the logic is simple PICK THE PLAYER WHO YOU THINK WILL SCORE THE MOST POINTS.
If that were the case, you surely would have gone QB with your first two picks. They generally score the most points.

Why not just take Brees/Rodgers? That's where your whole argument is flawed. You DO take positions into account when you draft... Just different positions when compared to the rest of the league.

I did a similar strategy to what you're talking about a few years ago. I went Calvin/Nicks with my first two picks. My thought process at the time was, I'd rather be the best in the league at a position and maybe a little weaker somewhere else as opposed to just OK across the board. I ended up finishing 2nd in the league.

However, it all depends on the year and your draft position. That season, I thought it was a pretty deep RB class and I was picking 10th. This year, RB is even more weak than usual and I was picking 5th. I don't think there's one set strategy which should be employed every season. You have to switch things up based on a lot of variables.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 09-25-2013 at 01:29 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #762
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 26,748
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Hey -pt-...

You want to see something really odd? I'm not sure what this says and I guess we could argue about it from both sides of our respective positions, but check this out...

I've been totaling up our numbers through the first three weeks just to compare and contrast since we had totally opposite approaches to the draft. Here's what I found...

I already said this, but I'll repeat it... I picked two RBs in my first three picks. Your first two came in the 6th and 7th rounds, respectively. Still, your starters have outscored mine by an average of 16.3-10.5 through the first three weeks.

That's very bizarre, but it doesn't end there...

Though you picked your three starting receivers in the first four rounds and I didn't take my second receiver until the 4th round, my three starting receivers have outscored your three starters through the first three weeks pretty convincingly...

Julio Jones / Wes Welker / Antonio Brown = 55.6 point average

Calvin Johnson / Andre Johnson / Reggie Wayne = 42.4 point average



So, things are pretty backwards thus far. It's odd.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 09-25-2013 at 01:26 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #763
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar
 
baseketball4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,906
baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

lmao long ass argument... Last year PT was right about his strategy of just picking the player you think will score you the most points... and this year he's looking right again
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #764
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 26,748
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
lmao long ass argument... Last year PT was right about his strategy of just picking the player you think will score you the most points... and this year he's looking right again
In other words, you agree with his assessment that positions don't matter and you should always just take the guy who will score the most points? I mean, he doesn't even really believe that based on his own drafting techniques.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #765
jazz873
College star
 
jazz873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,791
jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: 4th Annual ISH Money League

Man i suck at FAAB
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy