Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Omer Asik

What do you guys think of pitching a trade for him? He makes $5 million this season then $15 million next season. He averaged 10ppg and 12rpg on 54% shooting this past season. He reportedly asked for a trade after the Howard signing but the Rockets don't plan on honoring his request.

Would he be a good addition to our squad? Keep in mind he is still relatively young just turning 27 years old 3 days ago.

If we can trade Camby, Novak, Richardson, Gray, Kleiza or Amir with one of NYK 2nd round picks I think it would be a good trade in our favor. Thoughts?

Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Omer Asik

I personally wouldn't do it just for the fact I want Val to get as many minutes as possible this year. However getting 15 million + 20 million (from Gay's contract) off the books for 2015 offseason is sweet.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

i'd love to have Asik but we can't and most likely won't do this trade. Val needs the most of the playing time at the 5 and picking up talent doesn't seem to be the motive of the FO. Clearly we are preparing for a salary dump, and potentially a (proper) rebuild. Acquiring Asik would hurt our chances at accomplishing both.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
i'd love to have Asik but we can't and most likely won't do this trade. Val needs the most of the playing time at the 5 and picking up talent doesn't seem to be the motive of the FO. Clearly we are preparing for a salary dump, and potentially a (proper) rebuild. Acquiring Asik would hurt our chances at accomplishing both.

But as SESSEL said, Asik's $15 million come off the books after next season, same as Gay's large contract. That leaves us with a ton of cap space for the 2015 off season..
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
But as SESSEL said, Asik's $15 million come off the books after next season, same as Gay's large contract. That leaves us with a ton of cap space for the 2015 off season..

the money isn't really the problem, it's convincing the Rockets that anyone other than Valanciunas is worth trading for Asik. Further, the Raptors are most likely preparing themselves for a firesale at the deadline. It would be much easier to do so with smaller contracts under the new CBA, than with a contract like Asik's. Getting rid of Rudy AND Asik at the deadline is much more difficult than doing so with Rudy, Kleiza, Gray, Novak and co.

Last edited by Burgz V2 : 07-07-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
Sakkreth
Raptors/LTU/Zalgiris

Sakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation here

No just not the right time.
Sakkreth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
AC Earl
I airball my layups

AC Earl has an OK reputation so far

Houston is desperately trying to deal Lin. I would assume that we would have to take on Lin and his contract as well if Houston was willing to deal Asik. No thanks.
AC Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: