Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #16
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Philosophers prove existence of God and why you should be a person of faith

Jabes is smart.

Quote:
1 - (1+1) - (1+1) ... = 0
1 - 2 - 2 isn't 0.

Quote:
It's better to beleive in God and find out he does not exist than to not believe, and find out that he does.
thats some of the dumbest **** in existance. this whole "believe in God, because WHAT IF YOU'RE WRONG?" you should believe in God because you believe in God, if you're using religion as a safety net, first of all, when judgement comes around if God has any kind of wit about him at all, and considering he's come up with all the **** the human race has barely begun to figure out he probably does, he's gonna KNOW and totally call your bull**** and send you down below, and secondly you're making religion look bad because you're being grouped in with all the people who actually have faith.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:46 AM   #17
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board
Default Re: Philosophers prove existence of God and why you should be a person of faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Since 1=0 then you subtract the 1, Al Gore can insert this because he's a powerful man
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #18
bringthetruth
Banned

bringthetruth has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes
You obviously haven't taken a philosophy class before.

I don't wish to turn this into a religious debate, but if you are just curious, then I will tell you my perception.

I just flat out don't know if there is a god. It's something that can neither be proved nor disproved. For me it seems more plausible that religion was created by man. Its fearful to think there is no god. I think religion was created to quell that fear. I would like to know there is a god or some purpose for living, but I choose to believe only in what I can prove (scientifically) and leave the rest as unknowns.

Hey my man, try the bible all-time #1 best seller road map to life.

Try proverbs for a starter
bringthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #19
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default intent matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15

thats some of the dumbest **** in existance. this whole "believe in God, because WHAT IF YOU'RE WRONG?" you should believe in God because you believe in God, if you're using religion as a safety net, first of all, when judgement comes around if God has any kind of wit about him at all, and considering he's come up with all the **** the human race has barely begun to figure out he probably does, he's gonna KNOW and totally call your bull**** and send you down below, and secondly you're making religion look bad because you're being grouped in with all the people who actually have faith.

made me think of:

The last temptation is the greatest treason: To do the right deed for the wrong reason."

--T.S. Eliot on attending church to get clients
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #20
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes
You obviously haven't taken a philosophy class before.

I don't wish to turn this into a religious debate, but if you are just curious, then I will tell you my perception.

I just flat out don't know if there is a god. It's something that can neither be proved nor disproved. For me it seems more plausible that religion was created by man. Its fearful to think there is no god. I think religion was created to quell that fear. I would like to know there is a god or some purpose for living, but I choose to believe only in what I can prove (scientifically) and leave the rest as unknowns.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your thing is that you don't know there is a God because it can't be proven or disproven, isn't that an agnostic viewpoint rather than atheist? As I understand it, athiest simply don't entertain into the idea of a God at all, because such a concept to an atheist represents controlled thinking as opposed to free thinking.

Last edited by Sean77 : 02-20-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #21
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
Jabes is smart.

1 - 2 - 2 isn't 0.

As a Christian, I agree. If your reason for believing God is because you don't want to be wrong when you die, or that you hope He'll let you in, is that really believing? It should be because that is actually what you want to put stock in. Not because that's what Mommy and Daddy or Grandma believed in, how does that benefit you to do what your folks did? How is that genuine? Before your claim to a believer in God or not believe, or whatever the case may be, make sure you have your own reasons for having that conviction. Don't base you convictions on what other people do, because then it's not belief, that's just mimicking someone else.

If God wanted you to be someone else, He would've made you that other person. If He wanted you to have that person's brain, He would've given you that other person's brain. But He didn't, He gave you your own to use. So make up your own mind on what you want to believe, not "My whole family's Baptist," or "I'm a preacher's kid." That's why preachers' kids end up being biggest heathens(for lack of a better term) in the church.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #22
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringthetruth
Hey my man, try the bible all-time #1 best seller road map to life.

Try proverbs for a starter

it is the best seller BOOK not the best seller road map to life.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #23
Jabes
Banned

Jabes has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean77
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your thing is that you don't know there is a God because it can't be proven or disproven, isn't that an agnostic viewpoint rather than atheist? As I understand it, athiest simply don't entertain into the idea of a God at all, because such a concept to an atheist represents controlled thinking as opposed to free thinking.
You know, I'm not entirely sure of the distincion. You may be right.

I looked it up online and it seems not everyone agrees on the definitions for agnosticism and atheism, and there can even be some overlapping of the terms. By your definition (what Wikipedia calls strong atheism) your right, I'm not an atheist since I don't deny the possibility of a god. If we take atheism to mean anyone who is not a theist, then there is some ambiguity since I neither claim to believe nor disbelieve in god.

Going by what Wikipedia says, I guess I'd classify myself as a 'weak agnostic'

Weak agnosticism (also called soft agnosticism, open agnosticism, empirical agnosticism, temporal agnosticism)—the view that the existence or nonexistence of God(s) is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

I may qualify as a 'weak atheist' as well (again using terms found on Wikipedia), but they're not very clear on this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

In light of this, I'm inclined to agree that I'm more of an agnostic, but if you read those two articles you'll see its not entirely black and white.
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #24
NASH = BEST
On Campus Baby ; )

NASH = BEST has an OK reputation so far

Im a Anthropologie major at a very respectable University (ty, ty).
Anyways, there is an equation that proves that Mutation, Evolution etc. takes place whether you religious dudes like it or not...Now introducing, Hardy-Weinberg Equlibrium

"In population genetics, the Hardy–Weinberg principle (HWP) (also Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium (HWE), or Hardy–Weinberg law), named after G. H. Hardy and Wilhelm Weinberg, states that, under certain conditions, after one generation of random mating, the genotype frequencies at a single gene locus will become fixed at a particular equilibrium value. It also specifies that those equilibrium frequencies can be represented as a simple function of the allele frequencies at that locus.

In the simplest case of a single locus with two alleles A and a with allele frequencies of p and q, respectively, the HWP predicts that the genotypic frequencies for the AA homozygote to be p2, the Aa heterozygote to be 2pq and the other aa homozygote to be q2. The Hardy–Weinberg principle is an expression of the notion of a population in "genetic equilibrium" and is a basic principle of population genetics."
-Wikipedia

The actual equation can be found if you google it.
NASH = BEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #25
Jabes
Banned

Jabes has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASH = BEST
Im a Anthropologie major at a very respectable University (ty, ty).
Anyways, there is an equation that proves that Mutation, Evolution etc. takes place whether you religious dudes like it or not...Now introducing, Hardy-Weinberg Equlibrium

"In population genetics, the Hardy–Weinberg principle (HWP) (also Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium (HWE), or Hardy–Weinberg law), named after G. H. Hardy and Wilhelm Weinberg, states that, under certain conditions, after one generation of random mating, the genotype frequencies at a single gene locus will become fixed at a particular equilibrium value. It also specifies that those equilibrium frequencies can be represented as a simple function of the allele frequencies at that locus.

In the simplest case of a single locus with two alleles A and a with allele frequencies of p and q, respectively, the HWP predicts that the genotypic frequencies for the AA homozygote to be p2, the Aa heterozygote to be 2pq and the other aa homozygote to be q2. The Hardy–Weinberg principle is an expression of the notion of a population in "genetic equilibrium" and is a basic principle of population genetics."
-Wikipedia

The actual equation can be found if you google it.
I'm not one to correct other's spelling errors, I make them all the time, but I think you should know the correct way to spell "Anthropology" seeing as it's your major and all.

Nice quote, what does it have to do with this thread?
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: