Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
KembaWalker
Great young streetballer

KembaWalker is popular on this boardKembaWalker is popular on this boardKembaWalker is popular on this boardKembaWalker is popular on this board
Default Jason Collins comes out, reveals he is gay

Jason Collins:

I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.
I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.
My journey of self-discovery and self-acknowledgement began in my hometown of Los Angeles and has taken me through two state high school championships, the NCAA Final Four and the Elite Eight, and nine playoffs in 12 NBA seasons.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mag...#ixzz2Rrh8O559

Major respect for having the guts to do that man, hopefully everyone is accepting of it

Last edited by insidehoops : 04-29-2013 at 11:17 AM.
KembaWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

andremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Jason Collins comes out

I don't get why its so important for someone to tell the whole world they are gay, who cares keep it to yourself/people you know no need to tell everyone. Literally on every TV series/Movie there is a gay guy who cares if Jason Collins is gay its kinda annoying people keep coming out and making a big deal of it.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

I don't understand the whole "coming out" shit. Why do you have to announce to everyone that you are gay? If you're gay and are seeing men, congrats...no one gives a ****
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Foster5k
College star

Foster5k has not been impressing people

Finally someone Magic Johnson's son can look up to.
Foster5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
I don't get why its so important for someone to tell the whole world they are gay, who cares keep it to yourself/people you know no need to tell everyone. Literally on every TV series/Movie there is a gay guy who cares if Jason Collins is gay its kinda annoying people keep coming out and making a big deal of it.

I'm planning a press conference to announce my heterosexuality
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Rubio2Gasol
College star

Rubio2Gasol has decent reputation

Defended a clutch inbound play beautifully yesterday
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
chosen_one6
Earned not given

chosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
I don't understand the whole "coming out" shit. Why do you have to announce to everyone that you are gay? If you're gay and are seeing men, congrats...no one gives a ****

Because it's not "normal" in mainstream American media and society.

It's a big deal in the LGBT community. Just because you don't care doesn't mean other people don't.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Foster5k
College star

Foster5k has not been impressing people
Default Re: Jason Collins comes out, reveals he is gay

Doc Rivers:
Foster5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Eric Cartman
respect my authoritah

Eric Cartman is a pretty well-respected posterEric Cartman is a pretty well-respected posterEric Cartman is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

People do care and they serve for inspiration for flaming homosexual teenagers that don't have the courage to express who they truly are.
Eric Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Baliod
I brick open layups

Baliod has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
Defended a clutch inbound play beautifully yesterday

I think that was Wilcox
Baliod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

The reason they "come out" is because they've hid it from a lot of people in their life and it probably caused them significant stress and anxiety. Coming out just clears the air with everyone. It's like a facebook update. Jason Collins changed his status to homo.
macmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Haymaker
College superstar

Haymaker is considered somewhat coolHaymaker is considered somewhat coolHaymaker is considered somewhat cool

Maybe he wants to create awareness of the difficulty of living a double life just because of his sexual orientation.
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 has a near all-star reputation hereimdaman99 has a near all-star reputation hereimdaman99 has a near all-star reputation hereimdaman99 has a near all-star reputation hereimdaman99 has a near all-star reputation hereimdaman99 has a near all-star reputation here

coming clean means he can live comfortably now. well, within himself at least.

its a lot of weight off his shoulders probly

good luck jason collins, you look like a duck. but you're brave
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

andremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
The reason they "come out" is because they've hid it from a lot of people in their life and it probably caused them significant stress and anxiety. Coming out just clears the air with everyone. It's like a facebook update. Jason Collins changed his status to homo.
So they just can't tell there close friends/family they have to go on one of the biggest sports magazines/websites or whatever it is and tell everyone hey look at me I'm gay? This is nothing more than attention seeking...........

Last edited by andremiller07 : 04-29-2013 at 11:30 AM.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Jarron Collins: "Well, I guess we ain't identical then, cause I LOVES da pusssy."
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: