Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Something I found interesting...

Greenland (excluding any additional/combined statistics w/ Denmark) has a suicide rate that is THREE TIMES the national average of the next closest (which is South Korea). 108 (Greenland) compared to 31 (South Korea) per 100k.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_suicide_rate

I haven't looked it up yet, but I'm wondering how this compares with Alaska, Northern Canada, Norway, Finland and Siberia.

Additional intriguing statistics:

China's suicide rate is higher than neighboring Japan (not by much).

Sri Lanka's is more than double India's.

The world's most violent region - Middle East - seems to have more reason(s) to possess the world's highest rates, but surprisingly, they don't.

_____

Going back to the original focus, Greenland... I have a pretty good idea of the primary reasons why (those being short summers, long winters, poverty, extremely remote, etc), but there must be something else. Something else that distinctively amplifies Greenland far above and beyond the rest of the world.

The main theory that comes to mind is the sheer population comparison to the rest of the world. Even as remote (population wise) as Alaska, Northern Canada and Siberia are, Greenland is still in a league of its own. This (to me) appears to be the missing link that explains the why behind Greenland being more than THREE TIMES the national average of any and all nations on the planet.

Last edited by Legend of Josh : 07-08-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Something I found interesting...

I may be wrong so excuse me if I am but I believe Greenland also has a high rate of alcoholism and drug abuse
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

lithuania in the 3rd place! I knew this stat from earlier. Shocking.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this board

Aliens
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
HeatFanSince88
I hit open 5-footers

HeatFanSince88 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHeatFanSince88 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

interesting stats.

If you notice the poorer countries are all near the bottom.

People say money and all these advancements in society have made the world better, but all of the developed countries have more depressed people than the poor ones. Reasons being

-There is more pressure on people to be "successful" in westernized countries.
-All the technology is making people anti-social and isolated. Humans are social animals, and depriving them of that interaction will eventually make them feel miserable.
-The traditional family is dying out. Feminism, liberalism, divorce rates higher than 50%, etc.

In poor countries these people enjoy the simple things out of life. They have communities where the people care about eachother and work together to build a way of life.
HeatFanSince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
StocktonFan
Banned

StocktonFan has an OK reputation so far

isnt greenland like 90% ice with alaska like weather?
StocktonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'd kill myself too if I lived in Greenland.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
I may be wrong so excuse me if I am but I believe Greenland also has a high rate of alcoholism and drug abuse

No, I think you're right. I shouldn't even say think, but I know so (especially in regards to alcoholism). Considering Greenland's incredibly scarce population, and being thousands of miles away from drug producing countries (South America for example), all point to there being little to no drug-trade on the island of Greenland. I doubt there's much of a market there, but alcohol is obviously a different story.

The culture and racial makeup of Greenland is very similar to that of Alaska, and AK is infamously known for it's problems with alcohol abuse and alcoholism in general, so do the math; alcohol + Greenland = off the charts suicide rate.

Another interesting aspect I found after creating the thread is that more and more youthful folks of taking their own lives. High rates of females as well as males (males are commonly the ones who are up to four times more likely to kill themselves even though females attempt to kill themselves more often, they're just less successful - but it's my understanding that instead of cutting or hanging themselves, females use firearms more commonly compared to other countries around the world.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Legend of Josh
Banned

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/greenland

I found the above (gun policy laws / stats in Greenland) interesting too. In particular, import VS exports. Obviously, virtually no exports (something around three grand) compared to over a million US dollars in firearm imports. That doesn't sound like much, but keep in mind the total population is under 57,000 permanent residents.

Compare this to 836,109 square miles. The entire state of Texas is a mere 268,820; it'd take three Texas' to equate to one Greenland. Population in Texas is just over 26 million. Perhaps a better comparison is Alaska. Land mass of Alaska is 663,268 square miles; so Alaska is roughly 3/4's of Greenland. AK's population is 663,268 (47th in the nation - I was surprised to know that less people lived in Vermont, North Dakota and Wyoming).

Ultimately, 663k residents isn't all that much, especially when you consider the immense size of Alaska, but that really isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to 57k (Greenland) and only 75 cents to the dollar in terms of land area. I guess the point I was trying to make was while a million dollars isn't much, but divided between 57,000 residents, it's a pretty penny to be spending on firearms.

I'm thinking less is spent on drugs and probably more on alcohol.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
lithuania in the 3rd place! I knew this stat from earlier. Shocking.

Less daylight than many other countries of the world. Raped back and forth between Russia and Germany. Yeah, I'd say they're less happy and content than most other nations out there - even though they've had their freedom for some time now.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Greenland is mostly ice and Iceland has a lot of greenery.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatFanSince88
interesting stats.

If you notice the poorer countries are all near the bottom.

People say money and all these advancements in society have made the world better, but all of the developed countries have more depressed people than the poor ones. Reasons being

-There is more pressure on people to be "successful" in westernized countries.
-All the technology is making people anti-social and isolated. Humans are social animals, and depriving them of that interaction will eventually make them feel miserable.
-The traditional family is dying out. Feminism, liberalism, divorce rates higher than 50%, etc.

In poor countries these people enjoy the simple things out of life. They have communities where the people care about eachother and work together to build a way of life.

Progressives, lovers of advanced technology/advanced ultramodern culture(s) - pretty much lovers of themselves - will disagree with your statement and claim you're a "hater" ... but well said man. Spot-on; I agree 100%. Especially the part about advances in technology creating a lack of "human" face-to-face / person-to-person communication. Hence "i" Phone, "youTube" and the like. Subliminally, with enhanced technology we are as a civilization distancing ourselves from our fellow man. We're evolving into a more and more "me, Me ME!" society.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
Greenland is mostly ice and Iceland has a lot of greenery.

This is true ... and you're one of the sharper tools in the ISH tool-shed, so I'm assuming you know the reason and story to that, right? I remember when I was something in the neighborhood of five or six years old, me and my grandfather were looking at a world map we had on the basement/den wall, and he explained the story behind it all. I believe that was the original single moment that catapulted me into being a lover of geography.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
This is true ... and you're one of the sharper tools in the ISH tool-shed, so I'm assuming you know the reason and story behind that, right?
I think I do......without looking it up, has something to do with the Vikings, I think...
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
I think I do......without looking it up, has something to do with the Vikings, I think...

Yep. Basically Erik the Red (most famous Viking in history traveled with many other Vikings west from Scandinavia in search of land rumored to be entirely apart from the European continent) and his fellow Viks discovered Greenland as well as Iceland.

The story goes... Erik the Red and many other Vikings discovered and settled on Iceland. They were free to openly practice any religion they chose. Free to rule the land without paying taxes, etc. A land of true paradise during those times.

Unfortunately, there was some minute incident where one Viking tribe disrespected Erik and his fellow Vikmen or something to that effect, Erik and his men responded with harmful force (can't recall if anyone lost their lives etc) - and the result was Erik and his men were expelled from the newly found land, Iceland.

So Erik and his men thought there'd eventually be more land if they continued traveling westward. Keep in mind, many still believed the world was flat, so naturally some feared they'd fall straight off the face of the earth. Others believed they'd make history by discovering a new, much quicker trade route with China and India. At any rate, they loved sailing the seas, had the ships that were capable enough to cross entire oceans so they went for it.

A few weeks/months later, they discovered what was to later be called Greenland. Problem was, it wasn't exactly Green. Erik, frustrated with being kicked off the land he loved, Iceland and knowing he would need to attract more people to properly settle the land, he named it Greenland as an attempt to make such happen.

New travelers heard news of this. So they compared the two new lands, weighed their options, and to some, even though there was little known about Greenland, it sounded much more enticing, so some made the longer trip to Greenland, but once they arrived, most were disappointed, because they quickly found out very little of the land was actually serviceable, in terms of settling the land, growing crops, land suitable for livestock, etc.

So because of that, Greenland quickly became no-man's land. The name just stuck. And there you have it. The reason why Iceland is called Iceland and Greenland is called Greenland, even though they'd be much more accurate if they were flip-flopped. Politics.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: