Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

Default Lakers To Amnesty MWP

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers will use the NBA's amnesty clause on forward Metta World Peace in a move that will save the franchise around $21.5 million on the salary cap, according to Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register.

The soon-to-be 34-year-old World Peace was scheduled to earn $7.7 million for the upcoming season on a Lakers team that is still fighting to get under the luxury tax -- even after losing Dwight Howard in free agency to the Rockets.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/8...lakers-amnesty

I wonder who is going to play SF now. I would think they would want someone on a 1 year deal so they can have their cap space for next year still.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Lakers To Amnesty MWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/8...lakers-amnesty

I wonder who is going to play SF now. I would think they would want someone on a 1 year deal so they can have their cap space for next year still.

I'm going to enjoy football this season, I will be able to focus on that.....and then baseball next year......that may ease the pain of rebuilding

We will still be over the cap so GULP.....why don't they just Amnesty Kobe instead, it's obvious that we are in rebuild mode.....why waste Kobe's time? It would be an enormous bullet to bite.....but truth is that we're not getting anywhere anytime soon.......controversial.......YES.

Last edited by DKLaker : 07-08-2013 at 09:06 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I'm going to enjoy football this season, I will be able to focus on that.....and then baseball next year......that may ease the pain of rebuilding

We will still be over the cap so GULP.....why don't they just Amnesty Kobe instead, it's obvious that we are in rebuild mode.....why waste Kobe's time? It would be an enormous bullet to bite.....but truth is that we're not getting anywhere anytime soon.......controversial.......YES.

I would have amnestied Kobe for a year if I knew he wasn't going to play. But that would take a hit on the sales too. People would stop going to games with no superstar.

As far as Ron Artest, this move gives me mixed feelings. He was my favorite player, but this move, along with Dwight walking, relieves the lakers about 30 million from the salary cap (about 75 million in luxury tax if my math is correct). Its a good financial move.

Now they signed Chris Kaman.

This isn't a championship team, but it won't be hideous either. It'll win us some games and it'll give Kobe a chance to catch up to the scoring title, which to me at this point, is just of equal importance as a championship for Kobe. The man has 5 rings. There are champions every year, but only one person holds the record for most points scored. That will sum up Kobe's career as a player if he takes that.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

Quote:

It would make more sense to amnesty Gasol. If they were that worried about money amnesty someone who makes more than 10 million per season. Artest's contract really wasn't that bad of one. Everybody is talking about how Dwight walked, but I really think the big story is the fact that Kobe could (after this season).
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
It would make more sense to amnesty Gasol. If they were that worried about money amnesty someone who makes more than 10 million per season. Artest's contract really wasn't that bad of one. Everybody is talking about how Dwight walked, but I really think the big story is the fact that Kobe could (after this season).

Gasol is still one of the league's best (and smartest) big men.

After his contract expires and Kobe's contract expires, they need to be resigned to lower pay contracts and make these guys retire lakers. Gasol will always be productive. That way we can still sign a superstar to play with them.

Kobe won't walk unless he retires, and he deserves that honorable retirement. If we traded his contract for financial reasons, its the biggest slap in his face he would ever get. Let him retire honorably and let his legacy live as the best laker ever.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Gasol is still one of the league's best (and smartest) big men.

After his contract expires and Kobe's contract expires, they need to be resigned to lower pay contracts and make these guys retire lakers. Gasol will always be productive. That way we can still sign a superstar to play with them.

Kobe won't walk unless he retires, and he deserves that honorable retirement. If we traded his contract for financial reasons, its the biggest slap in his face he would ever get. Let him retire honorably and let his legacy live as the best laker ever.

I agree about Gasol still being one of the best big men. It just feels like the Lakers are going to be rebuilding forever with the way their doing things. If they're going to blow it up, then just do it.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
DKLaker

Quote:
I agree about Gasol still being one of the best big men. It just feels like the Lakers are going to be rebuilding forever with the way their doing things. If they're going to blow it up, then just do it.

Yeah, I agree, we need to stop jerking around and blow this thing up, it's going to be a long bitter road unless we do. Reality is that guys leave their team at the end of their career, like it or not. The really smart teams know when to trade their old talent to build the future.
Hell, I was furious when the Lakers let Gail Goodrich go.......before most of you were born...lol, but it got us the pick that became Magic Johnson.

I've heard buzz about Kobe joining the Bulls to go for rings 6 and 7 inside Casa de Jordan. How crazy would that be?

Back to your point, yeah more sense to amnesty Pau.

This team as it stands will get destroyed in our own division by the Clips and Warriors......maybe even the Suns......and lets not even talk about what the Spurs, Thunder and Grizz will do to us......ugh!!!!

Oh no......and Rockets......ugh, ugh, ugh!!!!!!

Last edited by DKLaker : 07-08-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Yeah, I agree, we need to stop jerking around and blow this thing up, it's going to be a long bitter road unless we do. Reality is that guys leave their team at the end of their career, like it or not. The really smart teams know when to trade their old talent to build the future.
Hell, I was furious when the Lakers let Gail Goodrich go.......before most of you were born...lol, but it got us the pick that became Magic Johnson.

I've heard buzz about Kobe joining the Bulls to go for rings 6 and 7 inside Casa de Jordan. How crazy would that be?

Back to your point, yeah more sense to amnesty Pau.

If the Bulls land Lamarcus Aldridge this season and Kobe next season there won't be any team that could touch them.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Kobe has said it before that he will not leave this team to pursue another winning team. He's come out and said that. That ship has sailed as far as we're concerned.

The man tweeted a picture of him and Gasol after Dwight left which shows you he's committed to the team here in LA. The lakers spent the money to get this guy an additional 2 championships, with him earning the finals MVP's of both.

Why is it such a concern that he will leave? This isn't even a media concern and usually they're the ones that create that drama.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Kobe has said it before that he will not leave this team to pursue another winning team. He's come out and said that. That ship has sailed as far as we're concerned.

The man tweeted a picture of him and Gasol after Dwight left which shows you he's committed to the team here in LA. The lakers spent the money to get this guy an additional 2 championships, with him earning the finals MVP's of both.

Why is it such a concern that he will leave? This isn't even a media concern and usually they're the ones that create that drama.

Reality......and no one saw Jordan leaving the Bulls......TWICE!!!!!
Kobe probably fully intends to be a Laker for life.....but sh!t happens.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Mgamer20o0
Serious playground baller

he wasnt that badly paid but still 21mil for him its a lot to pay. though the lakers are going to make money no matter what they do
Mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Big_Dogg
Dunktacular

So what the **** are we going to do at SF now, we seem to be getting older and slower, not good for the Pringles system one would think.

So what are our options, who is available, Gerald Green, some NBDL guy, sure as hell isn't much on the FA list, I know we are going into rebuilding mode but we seem to be running out of options fast.

I know Mitch does some amazing things but right now, I'm worried.
Big_Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #13
lakersNUMBA1
I hit open 5-footers

Game 7, NBA Finals. 2010. MVP
lakersNUMBA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
ThyGreatOne
Decent playground baller

I seen people asking about the SF position. I heard on ESPN LA today that the Lakers are thinking of moving Kobe to the SF if they in fact use the amnesty on World Peace.
ThyGreatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyGreatOne
I seen people asking about the SF position. I heard on ESPN LA today that the Lakers are thinking of moving Kobe to the SF if they in fact use the amnesty on World Peace.

I think that's a great idea.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: