Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputation
Default Josh Smith to Pistons :(

4 yrs - 56 mil.

Looks like Drummond or Monroe will be on the move. A move for a PG probably, yea?

Man I hope I'm wrong about this. So so so so wrong. Please God let Josh Smith get smart and mature.

We need to sign a vet to guide this guy. Chauncey to a minimum contract! Josh Smith has to listen to a champion and FMVP.

Sigh...
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

Default Re: Josh Smith to Pistons :(

Posted this in the main forum, but what do you guys think here?

"He has to be looking to move Monroe for a PG that can push the ball up court and fast. Namely Rondo.

If Pistons call pull off a trade for Rondo, you think this could be a likely starting lineup?

PG - Rondo
SG - Knight
SF -Caldwell-Pope
PF - Josh Smith
C - Drummond

Obvious deficiency in SG defense. Caldwell-Pope would be undersized at the SF on defense, but he is a good defender and will still pester some of the bigger SF in the league. And if the driver beats the perimeter D, two erasers on the inside to swat away shots.

On offense, Lob City v2.0. Throw it up and see how far it can go. Not working on the interior and you have 2 great perimeter shooters to hit the 3s. Knight will still have some ability to put the ball on the floor and make a bucket/play with penetration as well.

I don't see it as tooooooo bad if they get Rondo. If they don't, I'll be really really sad."
Old 07-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think Josh Smith will be the SF. I don't think trading Monroe for Rondo is a smart move. Mainly because I don't think a lineup with Rondo, Knight, and KCP has enough size to win ball games. Right now the offense is clearly going to be an issue. Our defense should be amazing. I think the team will really be able to get down the court quick and we could get buckets in transition though. I'd also love to go after Chauncey and have him finish his career here.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

do we have enough salary cap to sign another ''big name'' player or do we pretty much have to for trades now?
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

There really aren't any big names left in free agency now. They wouldn't have the cap space to just sign someone major. I think they'll end up filling out the roster with some more affordable pieces. They may be looking at a few trades too.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

I don't think we have to move one of our bigs. I'm cool if we do, but I like the idea of Smith guarding guys like George,Lebron,Melo,Durant etc.

Like I said in the other thread, the spacing may not be pretty, but we should play solid defense every night and typically outrebound teams and outscore them in the paint. That's not a bad recipe for success.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

This is what the salary looks like.

We can still amnesty CV and have roughly 16 mil in cap space, but as previously mentioned, there aren't any FA to really go after now. We need a PG and that would be through trade.

Very interested to see what goes on from here until the season starts.

Edit: I don't think link works, so here is the direct link to look at our salary structure:
http://imgur.com/TuThQzp
Old 07-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

PG - Knight
SG- CP
SF - JSmooth
PF - Monroe
C - Drummond

I don't see an identity with this squad. Defense would be the closest thing to our calling card, but:

-Knight isn't a great defender
-JSmooth doesn't always play all out
-Monroe is not a great paint protector
-Drummond hasn't shown he can play all game

I'm really worried if another move isn't made.

Edit: I REALLY HOPE ONE OF YA'LL CAN CALL ME OUT AT THE END OF THE SEASON AND SAY I TOLD YOU SO!!! Please please please! :P
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

I'd love to see us amnesty CHarlie V and add either Teague or Jennings to play the point. Both are better shooters than Rondo, younger, healthier and they wouldn't cost assets to acquire.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Right now this team really feels kind of like the Pacers. We have a very long, young, athletic team. So speaking of identity it looks like Joe D is putting this team together knowing that we have the Pacers and Bulls in our division and they're going to be good for years. It takes size to beat those teams. I actually like Monroe & Drummond more than Noah & Boozer and West & Hibbert. I think Paul George is the best SF, but having Smith to play against him & Deng really helps. I actually like our situation at SG better than those other teams too. Stuckey & KCP are better. PG is where we really need Knight to step up. Of course the Pacers almost made it to the finals with George Hill.... Anyway I think we'll struggle to score like they did at times but defensively we do match up with everyone.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I agree, I like it to go against those bigger teams. It also gives the option to match up against teams that want to go smaller and more athletic by moving Smith to the 4 with either Drummond or Monroe at the 5.

It will be interesting to see how Joe D finishes out the offseson. How he fills out the roster will be key.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #12
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Aussie Dunker has decent reputationAussie Dunker has decent reputation

I'd like to see our offense run through Monroe. With his post play hopefully taking another giant step forward this year, it should help us with our supposed spacing problems...

Jennings is an interesting option at PG - not sure how I feel about that, great talent, obviously...

Jennings
KCP
Smith
Monroe
Drummond

Could be a good recipe...

And I think we have a clear cut identity. Own the paint on both ends of the floor...
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
dd24
College superstar

My thought on Jennings is he's never had other options with him in Milwaukee besides this past season with Ellis. His biggest critique is he's not an efficient scorer. But other teams have been able to completely focus on him which makes things far more difficult. I think with other options he would be a willing passer. He would also be more of a selective shooter. His percentages would go up and the game would be easier for him.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people

Jerebko for Felton.
el gringos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
Jerebko for Felton.

I'd rather have Jerebko.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: