Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default How Come We Are Not Signing Any Young Players!!!!

We need young athletic players on this team now!!!!
We are long in the tooth and slow!!!

I don't mind Kaman but our next choice is Lamar???

And this team is coached by Pringles whose system requires shooters and quickness. WTF?????

Plan B is a failure and a half.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: How Come We Are Not Signing Any Young Players!!!!

Honestly if there's been on criticism of Mitch and his front office it's THIS! They always waste their MLE and vet minimums. Seriously why even bother to have them? Players they should be targeting are Nick Young, Austin Daye, Wesley Johnson. Jesus how many times must they sign over the hill, one dimensional unathletic players? If there's any team that should be taking chances on young players with potential it's a playoff/championship contender. Earl Clark was a throw in when we traded for Dwight and he ended up being the 3rd/4th best player on the team. How many Earl Clarks has this team passed on over the years? And I know someone is going to post that these guys won't make a difference since we suck anyways but that's exactly why you sign them! If they outperform expectations you can either trade them or resign them on reasonable contracts and if they don't you've lost nothing unlike scrubs like Troy Murphy and Jason Kapono that you know have zero upside.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner

We need young athletic players on this team now!!!!
We are long in the tooth and slow!!!

I don't mind Kaman but our next choice is Lamar???

And this team is coached by Pringles whose system requires shooters and quickness. WTF?????

Plan B is a failure and a half.

DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This could be the laker way of telling D'Antoni "you either do it this way, or you go elsewhere". If D'Antoni doesn't succeed, it doesn't look like they'll be keeping him around.

This year would end badly, I would expect them to fire him. Then hire a good coach before signing a superstar or two. We're just going to have to endure for one season. After that season we're going to be back on top again.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

kkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this board

I completely agree. I like the leadership and skills sets of the players we do have the fact is we need guys that are young and athletic enough to defend these young athletic players that are in todays game.

Assuming we amnesty Metta (please Mitch please)and let Jamison walk, who could we possibly fill out our roster with to get Kobe ring number six this year.

???????/Nash/Blake/
Bryant/??????/Meeks
?????/??????/??????
Gasol/??????/Kelly
Kaman/Hill/Sacre
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
longtime lurker

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinchen
I completely agree. I like the leadership and skills sets of the players we do have the fact is we need guys that are young and athletic enough to defend these young athletic players that are in todays game.

Assuming we amnesty Metta (please Mitch please)and let Jamison walk, who could we possibly fill out our roster with to get Kobe ring number six this year.

???????/Nash/Blake/
Bryant/??????/Meeks
?????/??????/??????
Gasol/??????/Kelly
Kaman/Hill/Sacre

Nick Young , Austin Daye, Wayne Ellington, Corey Brewer, Wesley Johnson should all be candidates the Lakers are targeting. The problem is they gave the mini MLE to Kaman already before reaching out to any of these other players. They could have easily gotten another big for the vets minimum. Anthony Morrow just signed with the Hornets for the vet min. THE HORNETS!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
longtime lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
This could be the laker way of telling D'Antoni "you either do it this way, or you go elsewhere". If D'Antoni doesn't succeed, it doesn't look like they'll be keeping him around.

This year would end badly, I would expect them to fire him. Then hire a good coach before signing a superstar or two. We're just going to have to endure for one season. After that season we're going to be back on top again.

The problem is that this isn't just a message to D'Antoni it's the pattern of every Laker offseason. How many times is this team going to sign wastes of space like Troy Murphy, Kapono and Joe Smith.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

When you only have the vet's min to use you have to be patient and wait for players to fall through the cracks or get desperate. Right now this early in the off season there's not an agent worth his salt that would allow his client to sign for the vets min.

The Moratorium isn't officially over until tomorrow so they couldn't have signed anyone anyways.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
Mgamer20o0
Great young streetballer

Mgamer20o0 has decent reputationMgamer20o0 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
The problem is that this isn't just a message to D'Antoni it's the pattern of every Laker offseason. How many times is this team going to sign wastes of space like Troy Murphy, Kapono and Joe Smith.
aaron mckie... Divac ....

i agree go with some undrafted or young players its worth a shot. you know at most what you are going to get out the older players. take a chance on someone it doesnt work out A they will be cheap B they can be gone by next season.

why not buy some draft picks see what happens i dont get it.
Mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgamer20o0
aaron mckie... Divac ....

i agree go with some undrafted or young players its worth a shot. you know at most what you are going to get out the older players. take a chance on someone it doesnt work out A they will be cheap B they can be gone by next season.

why not buy some draft picks see what happens i dont get it.

I completely agree, but here is the HUGE problem, you have to have a coaching staff who has the knowledge and will spend major time developing young players, and the coach has to give those guys playing time and let them make mistakes without fear of being yanked out of the game to sit for another month or two. The Lakers haven't had a coach or coaching staff like that since Del Harris. We still don't have that type of staff now, No D Toni will never allow anyone to practice defense.

I wish our coach and staff would do exactly what the Spurs do.

Last edited by DKLaker : 07-10-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #11
longtime lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
When you only have the vet's min to use you have to be patient and wait for players to fall through the cracks or get desperate. Right now this early in the off season there's not an agent worth his salt that would allow his client to sign for the vets min.

The Moratorium isn't officially over until tomorrow so they couldn't have signed anyone anyways.

But when have the Lakers ever done that? We can use past history to determine that management is simply just clueless when it comes to evaluating potential. Why not wait to sign Kaman? There couldn't have been that many teams clamoring for a back up center. Guys like Andre Blatche signed for vet min on the Nets to come off the bench! He'd get start and get 30 minutes a game on the Lakers! Yes he resigned this year because of loyalty, but we could have signed him last year.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
But when have the Lakers ever done that? We can use past history to determine that management is simply just clueless when it comes to evaluating potential. Why not wait to sign Kaman? There couldn't have been that many teams clamoring for a back up center. Guys like Andre Blatche signed for vet min on the Nets to come off the bench! He'd get start and get 30 minutes a game on the Lakers! Yes he resigned this year because of loyalty, but we could have signed him last year.
I don't think they're clueless, I think they don't care to be a team that develops talent.
Since the late 1990s they have been a team looking at making the finals not a team trying to make the playoffs. 2 different mindsets. This is the first time in 15 years they've been facing a different type of challenge

Kaman's not signing for the vets min. they needed a backup center, he's a good player, had to scoop him up while they could.

In addition to my above post another problem they'll face this summer besides only having vet minimum contracts to offer they'll only be offering those contracts for one year so they don't ruin their 2014 cap space

Last edited by daily : 07-10-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
longtime lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
I don't think they're clueless, I think they don't care to be a team that develops talent.
Since the late 1990s they have been a team looking at making the finals not a team trying to make the playoffs. 2 different mindsets. This is the first time in 15 years they've been facing a different type of challenge

Kaman's not signing for the vets min. they needed a backup center, he's a good player, had to scoop him up while they could.

In addition to my above post another problem they'll face this summer besides only having vet minimum contracts to offer they'll only be offering those contracts for one year so they don't ruin their 2014 cap space

When you're making the finals is exactly the time to be taking chances on young talent so you can keep making the finals. Kamans not signing for vet min but there are other centers like Brandon Wright that will and they aren't a huge downgrade from Kaman. Kaman's a good back up center for what we got him for, but has no upside. Better to spend on a young guy with potential upside. Which brings me to another point, nothing wrong with offering young players 2 year vet min deals. 1 million is not going to cut into the cap space and it can easily be moved if need be. I'd rather sign Nick Young to a 2 year deal with a player option because at worst you're getting a certified bench scorer and at best the 2nd leading scorer on the team.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

Quote:
When you're making the finals is exactly the time to be taking chances on young talent so you can keep making the finals. Kamans not signing for vet min but there are other centers like Brandon Wright that will and they aren't a huge downgrade from Kaman. Kaman's a good back up center for what we got him for, but has no upside. Better to spend on a young guy with potential upside. Which brings me to another point, nothing wrong with offering young players 2 year vet min deals. 1 million is not going to cut into the cap space and it can easily be moved if need be. I'd rather sign Nick Young to a 2 year deal with a player option because at worst you're getting a certified bench scorer and at best the 2nd leading scorer on the team.

Not really. That extra one or two million could be the difference between signing 2 or 3 big contracts or not next offseason. Why would they even take that chance over keeping a kid that's unproven and has to learn the game?

Lakers will have 50 million in cap space next summer

Extend Kobe if he's healthy for 10 million now you have 40 million, already you're down to one big max contract and one or two larger contracts.

That 2 million you've tied up in developmental players is looking really dumb now and you can't trade them because you have to take salary back, you can't waive them because that counts against the cap. You just screwed the pooch on the rebuild over a couple guys that are going to spend half the season in the D-League and the other half carrying Kobe''s suitcase.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
DKLaker

Quote:

I would absolutely love to see Nick Young on the Lakers!!!!!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: