Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Jameerthefear
Paid shill

Default ISH I need help making a decision

Okay, so I want to play 3 sports next year (track, Xcountry, and soccer) all on the Varsity level. Only problem is that with the classes I'm taking it would be a huge workload the whole school year. Honors Chemistry, Honors English, Honors History, Drivers ED, PE, and Honors Algebra 2 with trigonometry. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I really want to do all 3, but if I do I know it will be a rough year.
What do you think ISH?
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
AboveTheRim.
I rule the local playground

Default Re: ISH I need help making a decision

As someone who did cross country and track in high school, I would advise that you highly consider choosing either just soccer, or just cross country for the fall. I've seen plenty of soccer players try to balance cross country and soccer, and it usually ends up with coaches fighting over who the athlete spends more time with, and the athlete suffers by not putting full attention into one of the individual sports.

If you're deadset on pursuing both sports in the fall, then it will be very tough. Balancing sports with honors/AP classes is very doable, but trying to balance those classes with 2 sports at the same time will make your life extremely stressful.

If I were you I would put some time into thinking about which sport(s) you care most about, and which one you would be most willing to give up.

You say you want to participate at the varsity level for each sport...what is your talent level like in each? That could also play a factor in what you decide to do. If you are a much better soccer player, and your team has a good shot of doing well, then you probably would be better off just playing soccer (and vice versa for cross country).

I feel like I kind of rambled here, but hopefully this helps a little bit.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Jameerthefear
Paid shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheRim.
As someone who did cross country and track in high school, I would advise that you highly consider choosing either just soccer, or just cross country for the fall. I've seen plenty of soccer players try to balance cross country and soccer, and it usually ends up with coaches fighting over who the athlete spends more time with, and the athlete suffers by not putting full attention into one of the individual sports.

If you're deadset on pursuing both sports in the fall, then it will be very tough. Balancing sports with honors/AP classes is very doable, but trying to balance those classes with 2 sports at the same time will make your life extremely stressful.

If I were you I would put some time into thinking about which sport(s) you care most about, and which one you would be most willing to give up.

You say you want to participate at the varsity level for each sport...what is your talent level like in each? That could also play a factor in what you decide to do. If you are a much better soccer player, and your team has a good shot of doing well, then you probably would be better off just playing soccer (and vice versa for cross country).

I feel like I kind of rambled here, but hopefully this helps a little bit.
Thanks that helps. The good thing is that the soccer coach is also the XC coach, but we have a different track coach. Since I run distance at track, and soccer workouts are a lot of running I figured I could get away with practicing for soccer and not track (track and soccer season overlap each other). If I was going to say what I was the worst at out of all 3 it would probably be soccer, so that is what I would drop if I decided to only do 2... I care about track the most.
Thanks, this really helped
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
bmulls
Good college starter

Sounds like you think you're up to the challenge but you're scared it will be difficult. That's life broseph. I say do all of it and embrace the challenge. It will make you a stronger, tougher, more disciplined person.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
Okay, so I want to play 3 sports next year (track, Xcountry, and soccer) all on the Varsity level. Only problem is that with the classes I'm taking it would be a huge workload the whole school year. Honors Chemistry, Honors English, Honors History, Drivers ED, PE, and Honors Algebra 2 with trigonometry. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I really want to do all 3, but if I do I know it will be a rough year.
What do you think ISH?

Yeah that's my junior year in a nutshell.

For Chemistry it's really not difficult.

ALl you have to do is master the technical aspect of the stoichiometric formulas, the basic henderson hasselbach equation, a bit of element defining here and there.

Honors Algebra 2 is a fuking joke.

Honors English could be tedious, but use your classmates and cliffs for this.

Honors History is so interesting that it'll make u want to work ahrd.

Cross Country is incredible in that it will give you an awesome high at the end. Your mind will clear up like a driveway full of snow as the sun beats down upon it. As will soccer. Track may be a bit more brutal but it'll give you the fire as bmulls stated.

Just do it. Adapt hard. You have weekends to recharge.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Jameerthefear
Paid shill

Thanks for the help guys The main reason I'm asking is my parents don't really think I can handle it. If it comes to where my grades are suffering they'd make me quit, but I think I can pull it off. Thanks for the confidence boost guys