Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mr. Big Shot is back!!!

Chauncey says he expects to start at PG.

Quote:
Chauncey Billups decided to return to his old stomping grounds as a free agent. The veteran guard expects to have the same role with the Detriot Pistons that he had when he left in 2008, too, when he was traded from Detroit to the Denver Nuggets.

Billups, who signed a two-year, $5 million deal to return to the Pistons, told Ryan Slocum of Detroit's ABC 12 that he "expects" to start at the point guard spot this season. There's an obstacle, though: the 36-year-old will be competing with 21-year-old Brandon Knight, who started all 75 of the games he played in during the 2012-13 season.

Detroit Bad Boys: More on the Pistons' offseason

Billups played just 22 games for the Los Angeles Clippers last season as he fought through injury. He didn't solely play point guard, though, as quite a few of those minutes were filled by starter Chris Paul and backup Eric Bledsoe.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/1...-guard-pistons
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #17
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

He mentions Knight/Billups being the startin backcourt. I could live with that.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputationZMonkey11 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
He mentions Knight/Billups being the startin backcourt. I could live with that.

If this is the starting lineup, I fully expect that interior 3 to average 7+ blocks a game. That perimeter is going to be as porous as a spaghetti strainer.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #19
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've never been a fan of two guys who are 6'3" starting in a backcourt together. I think you need much more size at SG.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
If this is the starting lineup, I fully expect that interior 3 to average 7+ blocks a game. That perimeter is going to be as porous as a spaghetti strainer.

I fully disagree. Knight had a really good year defensively last year(check 82games.com) and Billups has shown he can guard SGs. Most of them only have an inch on him anyways and Billups will generally have a strength advantage. I do expect a lot of blocks from our frontcourt though.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #21
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputationZMonkey11 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I fully disagree. Knight had a really good year defensively last year(check 82games.com) and Billups has shown he can guard SGs. Most of them only have an inch on him anyways and Billups will generally have a strength advantage. I do expect a lot of blocks from our frontcourt though.

And Billups cannot move like he used to. This is not the Billups we had before we let him go. This isn't the Billups that went to Denver. Shit, this isn't the Billups that went to the Clippers. He is a Billups that suffered the same injury that effectively ended Isiah Thomas' career.

Am I saying Billups will suck? No. Of course not. I love the idea of Billups back. I wrote in an earlier post that I would be happy with the Josh Smith trade if the Pistons signed Billups, and boom, it happened. But to think he can still guard bigger SG is laughable when a lot of his movement will be gone. Look at his stats when coming back after the injury. Nothing jumps out at you. And one glaring reality was he was taken advantage of when he was guarding SG. (Where he was moved to when playing with Chris Paul.)

Now on to Knight. I went to 82games.com and I'm not even going to pretend I can understand that. If you can clarify to me what a good and bad defensive rating is, that would be great. I found the following article below:

http://www.freep.com/article/2013032...brandon-knight

And this is basically how I feel. He does not ace my eye test at all. Nothing spectacular about his defense comes to mind. And I'm not going to say it's not for a lack of trying. The kid plays hard defense. He puts his body on the line. Shit, he goes for a stop on so many plays that he doesn't belong, you can make a highlight reel about it. But that doesn't equate to a great defender.

Porous like a spaghetti strainer.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #22
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Well I agree that he's lost quickeness and that gives him trouble against a lot of PGs, but not so much SGs.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: