Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
NBAplayoffs2001
Michael Corleone

NBAplayoffs2001 has decent reputationNBAplayoffs2001 has decent reputation
Default Thinking of watching How I Met Your Mother is it similar to Friends?

Hey,

I never really watched HIYM and I was curious if it is worth watching it.

I enjoy shows like The Office and Friends in terms of comedy.
NBAplayoffs2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
moe94
beef?got the right mac

moe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Thinking of watching How I Met Your Mother is it similar to Friends?

It's basically a carbon copy with a shitty forced gimmick.
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Le Shaqtus
House Stark

Le Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Thinking of watching How I Met Your Mother is it similar to Friends?

Could never get into it, people who like it are the same people who enjoy Big Bang Theory, which is even worse.
Le Shaqtus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Friends sucked ass though
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
navy
NBA sixth man of the year

navy is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Watch the first few episodes and you'll be hooked.
navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
NBAplayoffs2001
Michael Corleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy
Watch the first few episodes and you'll be hooked.

Most people I've talked to say it takes about 10-15 episodes to really get into it.

A TV shows I was hooked from the start was Prison Break. I've watched it 2-3 times.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
bballnoob1192
Born again Cavs fan

bballnoob1192 has no real reputation yet.

idk if you have heard about the ending through social media, but spoilers in white:

The ending sucks dick. The mom is dead after all and the main protagonist really just gets together with the friend.
bballnoob1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

I caught a rerun of friends. and it is terrible. its so childish how they cant say certain words and have to imply it.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
Could never get into it, people who like it are the same people who enjoy Big Bang Theory, which is even worse.

This is completely wrong. HIMYM is very well done comedy. It gets sillier towards the end (like most sitcoms). It is hilarious and out of Big Bang Theories league.

It is dirtier than Friends. Has some of the same themes of friendship and such. Give it a shot.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I watched and enjoyed it. There are definitely weaknesses to it but there are funny moments and the show has heart. Solid sitcom imo. I think it's one of the better attempts for a show geared toward the millennial generation.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
Milbuck
Buck Dynasty

Milbuck is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMilbuck is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMilbuck is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMilbuck is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMilbuck is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMilbuck is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMilbuck is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMilbuck is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMilbuck is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If you have another show you've been meaning to watch..definitely go for that. But if you have no other show to go to, HIMYM is solid. I'd say the first 4, maybe 5 seasons of HIMYM are decent enough that it wouldn't be a complete waste of time to watch. But after that the show gets really forced...they get through all the funny story lines and interesting character development shit real fast, and you're left with like 4-5 seasons of the protagonist failing and hating his life, and endless "when the fuck do we get to see the mother" moments. I found myself watching the second half of the show purely because I didn't want all the time I spent watching the first half of the show to go to waste...and I wanted to finally see the mother. It becomes a commitment more than anything, which is bullshit. And I don't care if this spoils anything, but the ending sucks ass. Arguably the worst ending to show I've ever seen.

But if you're looking for something comparable to The Office..this isn't it. Very few shows are on that level, The Office was just brilliant writing.
Milbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
bballer
bballer

bballer has decent reputationbballer has decent reputation

disregard that.

watch parks and rec
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #13
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, if you are looking for a show like the office def go for parks and rec. In fact, I'd say I liked parks and rec more.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
BlkMambaGOAT
Alleged necrophiliac.

BlkMambaGOAT is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Friend's series ending>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>HIMYM series ending.
BlkMambaGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #15
NBAplayoffs2001
Michael Corleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkMambaGOAT
Friend's series ending>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>HIMYM series ending.

Out of curiosity, I watched the HIMYM ending. Seemed so pathetic.
Also I always felt that Ross/Rachel off and on relationship was like a perfect example how opposites attract.
I feel every guy in some point of their life can relate to what I bolded.

I tried watching HIMYM a few years ago but couldn't really get into it. I didn't like Friends in the beginning (mostly because of early seasons Monica) but eventually loved it.

All time favorite TV show though is Prison Break (the first time I watched it).
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: