Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here
Default Dropping Out of College?

I am thinking about dropping out of college to pursue my goal of getting into the entertainment industry. (acting/singing)

Do you think I should go for it or would it be a bad move to make? I am 27 years old and live with my mom and am unemployed and have lived a pretty sheltered life. I would be finished with college in about 2 years and am getting a degree in Business Management. I would be 29-30 years old before graduating from college if I continued and stayed in college. At the same time, I feel time might be running out for me. Do most people make it in Hollywood/music at 30+ years old? I have no training/experience at all in either acting/music but I at least want to try. If I don't I feel I will always regret it. At the same time if I try and don't make it and don't end up succeeding at it, I feel I will be angry about it and never let go of the pain of not being a success in it.

What should I do?

Anybody here working/trying to get in the entertainment industry and have any advice?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Dropping Out of College?

Stay in college.

Just do your entertainment/singing sh*t on the side. Is that really a full time job anyway until you actually get signed somewhere or whatever? I doubt it.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY

KNOW1EDGE has decent reputationKNOW1EDGE has decent reputation

Not sure if serious.

Stay in school. In your spare time feel free to pursue whatever.

end thread/
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dropping out of high school >>
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

PM macho man

he knows what to do
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

its fine to drop out, but find a more appropriate industry with actual achievable goals.

Do you currently sing in a band? Participate in community or regional theaters? You probably are not as good as you think you are.

I cannot believe you are 27 and think this is a realistic life goal. What did you do with the nearly decade since highschool?
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong waysenelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Stay in school. If you were dropping out and pursuing a trade rather than a college degree than I wouldn't feel as bad. But singing and acting..do that on the side. That's not guaranteed.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
ace23

ace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputation

drop out yolo
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

I would stay in school and do it on the side as well... There are classes you can take and things you can do to see if you are ready to make the jump into acting. If you aren't a very motivated person, chances are good that you could drop out, pursue this career, and get absolutely nowhere. Know thyself. If you aren't motivated, stick with safe route and then just add stuff on top of it. If it's something you really want, you will do it despite all the hours you have to put into other things.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
its fine to drop out, but find a more appropriate industry with actual achievable goals.

Do you currently sing in a band? Participate in community or regional theaters? You probably are not as good as you think you are.

I cannot believe you are 27 and think this is a realistic life goal. What did you do with the nearly decade since highschool?

I don't sing in a band and have no theater experience.

I have been floundering around since high school.

Even though I have no experience, do you feel it is something I should try?
Old 07-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
I don't sing in a band and have no theater experience.

I have been floundering around since high school.

Even though I have no experience, do you feel it is something I should try?
I would suggest you either take theater or performance classes in college or get involved with local theater. You are evaluating yourself in a bubble. Go out and see if you are any better than a random theater student at your school or somebody in the local community by direct competition for parts, etc.

Chances are you arent good enough. If you really want to be in the industry, get a degree in the theater arts (or experience) and try and be a grip or other behind the scenes role. Even those jobs are hard to get.

College may not be for you, but you need to have a more realistic aspiration.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
I would suggest you either take theater or performance classes in college or get involved with local theater. You are evaluating yourself in a bubble. Go out and see if you are any better than a random theater student at your school or somebody in the local community by direct competition for parts, etc.

Chances are you arent good enough. If you really want to be in the industry, get a degree in the theater arts (or experience) and try and be a grip or other behind the scenes role. Even those jobs are hard to get.

Thanks man.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:

All that makes sense, thanks. About singing, how should I go about that?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
nathanjizzle
OG

nathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

finish your degree in business. once you get the degree then you can experiment with the real world, if you fail, you know you have a degree to manage a mcdonalds for 20 dollars an hour.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool

enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: