Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Kobe will never take a pay cut

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...125531553.html

This is very serious bad news. There is no way we can build a championship team with 1 aging superstar taking up half of the salary cap.....it just cannot happen. This will leave us with many tough choices, do we say screw titles in favor of proven ticket sales OR say screw ticket sales in favor of trying to bring in younger stars trying to form a big 3.....(if it works of course you sell tickets.)
More and more I get the feeling that Kobe will retire as a Laker, but only after playing for another team. Opinions gentlemen please.......
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Kobe will never take a pay cut

Negotiation hasnt started yet. I hope they will settle at about 15m per year.
fiddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Mgamer20o0
Great young streetballer

Mgamer20o0 has decent reputationMgamer20o0 has decent reputation

might have to let him walk.
Mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He'll take a pay cut. He knows what's up he knows the league and how things work but he's certainly not dumb enough to announce it before negotiations even begin and negotiations won't begin until the Lakers know what they're negotiating for.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Lakers91 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...125531553.html

This is very serious bad news. There is no way we can build a championship team with 1 aging superstar taking up half of the salary cap.....it just cannot happen. This will leave us with many tough choices, do we say screw titles in favor of proven ticket sales OR say screw ticket sales in favor of trying to bring in younger stars trying to form a big 3.....(if it works of course you sell tickets.)
More and more I get the feeling that Kobe will retire as a Laker, but only after playing for another team. Opinions gentlemen please.......

I do hope he meant it in a sarcastic way, like he can be with reporters or play with them a little/overblow a story, I do hope he takes a paycut, but if he doesn't at what point do the Lakers say thank you for all you have done but no thank you?/What point would you not offer him anymore than? Although I cannot judge too much if it were any other job or occupation you'd probably say last contract in that career path fair enough to try and get as much as you can, does he believe what he is worth is 20+ million or does he think he's worth 15 etc is he not budging from what he is currently making or not budging from what in his head he believes he is worth? "For me to sit here and say, Oh yeah, Im just going to take a huge pay cut. Nah, Im going to try to get as much as I possibly can." How much does he think he can possibly get is the possible question, if the most he can get is 10 and the Lakers say that's it I doubt he leaves just to make a few more million and I say just because really he's got a net worth of more than 200 million, I hope it's just him trying to be tough negotiating rather than him saying I'm not taking less than what I am currently making I mean even for Kobe it wouldn't be all that good to say before he has even begun to negotiate that he will take a paycut to say 5 million, that doesn't give him much negotiating room to work with, whereas if he say's he's not taking a paycut gives him a lot of room to negotiate to something he finds fair but will likely be a lot less, I think probably in the region of 10-15 or I hope. I do hope he doesn't mean it literally that he won't take a paycut at all because I don't think the Lakers will re-sign him for what he is currently making, I doubt they will offer someone turning 35 coming off an Achilles injury 20-25 million again even if it is Kobe Bryant or a top 10 all time player.
Lakers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

When I first read it, I was somewhat bothered.
Why? Because I want kobe on the team but not for 60% of the salary cap.

Then I listened to the actual interview, and feel that it was taken out of context.
See, kobe hasn't even begun negotiating his extension figures. The reporter asked if he would take a paycut to the vet min. Kobe even said something like "I can't say that before I start negotiating" because if he says he will, then lakers will start negotiating based off of the rate he said he would be willing to accept.

I'm thinking he will take anywhere from 14-20 mil. Give or take a couple mil.

I hope it's a 3 year, $50 mil deal. Something like that. Lets him retire a laker.
Then I'm really hoping we sign a few good young guys.

Either we go kyrie Irving or Damien lillard @12-14 mil.

LA product Paul George to another 12-14 mil OR go with chandler Parsons for 8mil.

Then another big in Drummond or cousins for 14-16 mil.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Love Kobe but come on.... If he plays hardball like that let him go.
I do think he is just saying this.... At least I hope.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
When I first read it, I was somewhat bothered.
Why? Because I want kobe on the team but not for 60% of the salary cap.

Then I listened to the actual interview, and feel that it was taken out of context.
See, kobe hasn't even begun negotiating his extension figures. The reporter asked if he would take a paycut to the vet min. Kobe even said something like "I can't say that before I start negotiating" because if he says he will, then lakers will start negotiating based off of the rate he said he would be willing to accept.

I'm thinking he will take anywhere from 14-20 mil. Give or take a couple mil.

I hope it's a 3 year, $50 mil deal. Something like that. Lets him retire a laker.
Then I'm really hoping we sign a few good young guys.

Either we go kyrie Irving or Damien lillard @12-14 mil.

LA product Paul George to another 12-14 mil OR go with chandler Parsons for 8mil.

Then another big in Drummond or cousins for 14-16 mil.

I don't see how you can build a championship team with an old Kobe getting more than 12 mil per year.....while not having lottery picks.

I would, rather they stretched out the contract length to lower the yearly hit, such as 48 mil over 4 years instead of 50 mil over 3 years.

We don't know when Kobe will hit the age wall like all players eventually do.

Will Kobe insist on always being the highest paid player on the team????

I seriously hope we never get to that walk point......but it is definitely possible.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I don't see how you can build a championship team with an old Kobe getting more than 12 mil per year.....while not having lottery picks.

I would, rather they stretched out the contract length to lower the yearly hit, such as 48 mil over 4 years instead of 50 mil over 3 years.

We don't know when Kobe will hit the age wall like all players eventually do.

Will Kobe insist on always being the highest paid player on the team????

I seriously hope we never get to that walk point......but it is definitely possible.

If it were up to me, shit I would love it if kobe took like 10 mil a year. Lol. I'm not for him getting the big bucks (at this stage)
I'm all for the discounted rate so that we can build a contender
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
If it were up to me, shit I would love it if kobe took like 10 mil a year. Lol. I'm not for him getting the big bucks (at this stage)
I'm all for the discounted rate so that we can build a contender

Old 07-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgamer20o0
might have to let him walk.

Honestly this just might be the solution, if this article is accurate. I fear that with Kobe's resume, and his will to continue to add to this resume, that he will become another delusional Iverson.

Kobe at 12 million maximum, with opportunities to grow with the team after he retires. At this point in his career he can still win championships as the third leader. He's kind of the last of the jedi of his generation.

At the very least, with him walking, we will attract two max contracts, and still have enough money left over to sign great role players complimenting the superstars.

Make this year his last hurrah and then move on.

Phil Jackson is gone, Derek Fisher is gone, Shaq and all the rest of that era is gone. Kobe's value is therefore at its all time low.

I would miss him greatly. But again folks, a new era of ball is here. Even the spurs lost to the new era of basketball.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: