Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #16
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Landowning: the main cause of wealth inequality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Id care more about this if property taxes didnt kick my ass yearly. I own 2 houses and am responsible for maintaining a third. **** property taxes.

**** em hard.

But in another sense, property taxes aren't ****in you hard enough to disincentive you from owning 2 houses. It's still more advantageous for you to put up with property taxes and rent out your investment property (unless your situation is something different, idk).

I'm not keen on the idea of someone being able to buy more than they need, despite the forthcoming arguments about how capitalism is the number one driver of progress.

It depends on how what you think would yield the greatest amount of incentive for hard work and creativity.

Out of the people who own enough property / investments to live comfortably without working, are there more that are motivated by this positive reinforcement to work even harder to get more? Or are there more people to fall complacent to this system and discontinue providing work that they would have provided had they not been allowed to live this way?
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Buy more than they need?

You know just how little you need to get by?

I got by for 20 years. Worked hard for more. Not ashamed i can buy my grandma and other loved ones a house.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It is the most progressive form of taxation possible and probably would have the least amount of economic distortion but I don't see it happening. It would be a pretty radical change that would affect much of the middle and all of the upper class. I haven't thought through it much but on the surface it seems appealing.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

SpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
what a moron, someone please ban this dumbfuk

i agree with the premise of this thread but this is a long established system that won't change for the foreseeable future

What the fvck? If you don't get what that image represented, then you, my good man, are the real moron/dumbfuk.

To clarify, the pursuit of property on a planet with limited resources and an expanding populace will inevitably result in more and more people being pushed into smaller and smaller confines. Because more people are being born every year and a larger portion of them are accumulating income to go into purchasing land, we are living in a world where massive overcrowding will result in those small "squares" of land being loaded nearly to the breaking point by more and more bodies. This was clearly represented in the image I posted, wherein the "snake" (land owners) is chasing and acquiring more and more square dots (land). Each bit of land results in less of it for an expanding number of land owners. This is end in a planet stuffed with planet full of angry have-nots on the verge of potential revolution. But your philistine ass clearly doesn't understand simple concepts like that, so you scream for be to be banned.

tl;dr: My image makes sense. Eat a bowl of hot dicks.
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Buy more than they need?

You know just how little you need to get by?

I got by for 20 years. Worked hard for more. Not ashamed i can buy my grandma and other loved ones a house.

Like I said, I don't know your personal situation so I'm not going to comment on you specifically, just wanted to bring in your point on property taxes.

In any case, why not switch the ownership of the house you bought grandma in her name, and simply give her the money to pay the taxes? Aren't taxes much more substantial on second homes?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #21
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialQue
What the fvck? If you don't get what that image represented, then you, my good man, are the real moron/dumbfuk.

To clarify, the pursuit of property on a planet with limited resources and an expanding populace will inevitably result in more and more people being pushed into smaller and smaller confines. Because more people are being born every year and a larger portion of them are accumulating income to go into purchasing land, we are living in a world where massive overcrowding will result in those small "squares" of land being loaded nearly to the breaking point by more and more bodies. This was clearly represented in the image I posted, wherein the "snake" (land owners) is chasing and acquiring more and more square dots (land). Each bit of land results in less of it for an expanding number of land owners. This is end in a planet stuffed with planet full of angry have-nots on the verge of potential revolution. But your philistine ass clearly doesn't understand simple concepts like that, so you scream for be to be banned.

tl;dr: My image makes sense. Eat a bowl of hot dicks.

It was really cool to watch too.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #22
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The only reason id have to put a house in my grandmothers name is to claim the Homestead exemption since she qualifies. She pays a hell of alot less in property taxes but im not that concerned about it. Not enough to bother with the change when shes 92 years old. Shes happy to have a place her grandkids and great grandkids can come hang out with her and she can be in her old neighborhood near all her family and her church that will come pick her up on sundays.

Im happy to provide that.

I dont feel im taking anything from anyone by buying a house I dont exactly need. Not like they arent there to be had.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #23
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Our founding fathers were all rich white landowners. Deal with it or GTFO.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #24
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
That's why a place like Texas has it right, and a place like California with its liberal retards has it wrong.

In Texas, there is no state income tax, but property taxes are higher on average. This allows everyone to keep what they earn, but discourages people from just buying up excessive land they're not actually gonna use. That's pretty sensible. But hippy losers in California think they're being super sensitive and progressive if they tax the big evil job-creating businesses and using the money to dole out welfare to anyone who comes along and asks for it.

Honestly, it's such a shame the extremist, "San Fransisco Liberals" can't think logically, and only think with their delicate vag1nas. They are basically walking doormats, insecure losers who disguise the fact that they're literally afraid to ever stand up to someone, hold them accountable, or fight for a principle, by pretending that just tolerating a fucking welfare state shithole is an intellectual and progressive thing to do. They are ruining a land that geographically is so magnificent.

so you're still a poor butt hurt renter
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Quote:
That's why a place like Texas has it right, and a place like California with its liberal retards has it wrong.

In Texas, there is no state income tax, but property taxes are higher on average. This allows everyone to keep what they earn, but discourages people from just buying up excessive land they're not actually gonna use. That's pretty sensible. But hippy losers in California think they're being super sensitive and progressive if they tax the big evil job-creating businesses and using the money to dole out welfare to anyone who comes along and asks for it.

Honestly, it's such a shame the extremist, "San Fransisco Liberals" can't think logically, and only think with their delicate vag1nas. They are basically walking doormats, insecure losers who disguise the fact that they're literally afraid to ever stand up to someone, hold them accountable, or fight for a principle, by pretending that just tolerating a fucking welfare state shithole is an intellectual and progressive thing to do. They are ruining a land that geographically is so magnificent.
Amazing you can copy&paste!

Federal spending for every dollar tax paid:

Texas - $0.87
California - $0.85

Debt to GDP ratio

texas - 19.27%
California - 19.22%

Debt by citizen

Texas - $10.8
California - $10.7

Oh yeah Texas,so much better!

Quote:
Id care more about this if property taxes didnt kick my ass yearly. I own 2 houses and am responsible for maintaining a third. **** property taxes.

**** em hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Königspinguin
If you find it hard to afford that means you are either not using the land as productively as others could, you are depriving others of opportunity, or maybe you are speculating which a economically destructive activity, or it means you are focusing on the wrong target.
correct, anyone that have a house just to live in, should be evicted and the house should be given to someone that will do something with it.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #26
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

OldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
so you're still a poor butt hurt renter

My butt is plenty comfortable in Texas thank you.

States like ours literally invest in one-way bus tickets to San Fransisco and give them to bums, and San Fransisco welcomes them with open arms. Im quite serious, thats a real thing many cities and states are doing. Giving their bums free passage to California where they practicallyget a bonus check from the Cali government to show up and shit and sleep on the street. The libs are so proud of themselves for welcoming them, and theyre perpetually hikin taxes to pay for increased services.

That works right now because Cali has so much built up equity in terms of tourism and businesses that are based out there. But as we speak businesses are peacing out, before long their overburdened tax pool will shrink and a whole state full of people depending on the government for jobs or handouts will basically collapse on its own smelly hippy self in a blackhole of feces and bankruptcy. Thats what happens when you encourage unemployment, you drive away business, you elect thinly veiled union bosses as your elected officials.

California.... a beautiful land, headed for the dumps.
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #27
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

OldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
Amazing you can copy&paste!

Federal spending for every dollar tax paid:

Texas - $0.87
California - $0.85

Debt to GDP ratio

texas - 19.27%
California - 19.22%

Debt by citizen

Texas - $10.8
California - $10.7

Oh yeah Texas,so much better!

correct, anyone that have a house just to live in, should be evicted and the house should be given to someone that will do something with it.

You copy and pasted three statistics with no context, and didnt post a link.

The hall mark of a NY liberal. You cant articulate principles, so you pick and choose random bites of info without context to create strawmen arguments. Youve clearly been studyig at the feet of KevinNYC.

When Im at a cpu and not on my phone, and once youve posted your link, ill address your three random statistics.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #28
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

Quote:
The only reason id have to put a house in my grandmothers name is to claim the Homestead exemption since she qualifies. She pays a hell of alot less in property taxes but im not that concerned about it. Not enough to bother with the change when shes 92 years old. Shes happy to have a place her grandkids and great grandkids can come hang out with her and she can be in her old neighborhood near all her family and her church that will come pick her up on sundays.

Im happy to provide that.

I dont feel im taking anything from anyone by buying a house I dont exactly need. Not like they arent there to be had.

I think it's great that you were able to buy your grandmother a house. And I'm going to guess the fact that you were allowed to buy a house for her was at least part of the reason you continued to work, and in turn, boost the US economy. I don't have problem with that, it's capitalism doing its job.

The problem I have is when we have heirs and heiresses of wealthy landowners who will have 10+ investment properties in high demand areas like San Fran or NYC that are able to live off rental income without holding a job. Now, are they boosting the US economy? Sure, they collect rent money and blow it on stupid shit like lambos, bentleys etc..

But they have very little incentive to innovate and directly contribute aside from spending money. Arguably, if those homes were rented at cheaper prices, we may see more people encouraged to stop collecting welfare and go find work so they can buy their own house. Or someone being motivated enough to choose to be a professional instead of a typical assistant manager at McDonald's for the rest of their life.

Again, this is all arguable. I'm just saying in my opinion, there's more innovation hindered by the laziness of those at the top than those at the bottom.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

Quote:
My butt is plenty comfortable in Texas thank you.

States like ours literally invest in one-way bus tickets to San Fransisco and give them to bums, and San Fransisco welcomes them with open arms. Im quite serious, thats a real thing many cities and states are doing. Giving their bums free passage to California where they practicallyget a bonus check from the Cali government to show up and shit and sleep on the street. The libs are so proud of themselves for welcoming them, and theyre perpetually hikin taxes to pay for increased services.

That works right now because Cali has so much built up equity in terms of tourism and businesses that are based out there. But as we speak businesses are peacing out, before long their overburdened tax pool will shrink and a whole state full of people depending on the government for jobs or handouts will basically collapse on its own smelly hippy self in a blackhole of feces and bankruptcy. Thats what happens when you encourage unemployment, you drive away business, you elect thinly veiled union bosses as your elected officials.

California.... a beautiful land, headed for the dumps.

it's funny how obsessed you are with california. maybe you were one of those hacks who tried really hard to make it here but couldn't survive so you had to move back to your little town and grumble about it. but hating on everything doesn't change a thing. it won't make your life better.

if you can't afford it here, maybe you should stay at the quiet farm. nobody dreams of moving to texas anyway... except for maybe mexicans and some folks in oklahoma or kansas or the dakotas.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #30
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
it's funny how obsessed you are with california. maybe you were one of those hacks who tried really hard to make it here but couldn't survive so you had to move back to your little town and grumble about it. but hating on everything doesn't change a thing. it won't make your life better.

if you can't afford it here, maybe you should stay at the quiet farm. nobody dreams of moving to texas anyway... except for maybe mexicans and some folks in oklahoma or kansas or the dakotas.

That's the point. Anyone can afford it in California, because they don't require you to work for anything.

For instance, I guarantee you are one of the people I referenced, who was bussed out to California by his own state which didn't want him, and California gladly welcomed you to come sleep on a bench by a busy intersection in the middle of the day. They're so proud of themselves for inviting you do come do that. In fact, they probably give you welfare on top of it. And you're probably using the internet at the public library right now, picking your nose openly and wearing the same dirty clothes you showed up in.

Just wait and see. For those who think CA's current financial struggles are bad, it's only going to get much worse. Because they refuse to fix it. Too many voters depend on the government for their bloated, excessive salaries (teacher unions, police unions,) or for their entitlements (people who basically make money by having more kids for a living).

Y'all are too soft to stand up to individuals and say "Hey buddy, be accountable." You're scared to do it. You're a weak and timid crowd. The natural soft liberal beta male. He loves California. He convinces himself he's "progressive" because he tolerates any and all bullshit, but really it's just a cover because he knows he's too afraid and weak to stand up to any of it anyway.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: