Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Default Will the GOP commit the same mistake three presidential election cycles in a row?

Continue to pander to people that are already voting for them?

Paul Ryan for VP. Because you really needed to shore up that white fiscal conservative vote when you already have the whitest guy on the planet at the top of the ticket. Like those people were ever going to vote for Barack Obama.

Sarah Palin for VP. Can you imagine how many more white evangelical social conservatives would have voted for Obama had she not been the VP nominee?

"There are DOZENS of us!"

Do they take another dive off the shallow end in 2016 or have they finally learned from their mistakes? Is their even an agreed upon direction for that party?

Shit, the guy they've been grooming for years still looks like he's in the middle of a hostage situation whenever he speaks in front of large crowds.

Clint Eastwood 2016?
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

Default Re: Will the GOP commit the same mistake three presidential election cycles in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
Paul Ryan for VP. Because you really needed to shore up that white fiscal conservative vote when you already have the whitest guy on the planet at the top of the ticket. Like those people were ever going to vote for Barack Obama.

Sarah Palin for VP. Can you imagine how many more white evangelical social conservatives would have voted for Obama had she not been the VP nominee?

You are naive.

You have no idea how much money pours into the Republican nominee's campaign from these people and these groups. Without it, any Republican would be hard pressed to compete in any Presidential election.

If they don't approve of the Republican candidate, they may still show up to the polls and vote for him as the lesser of two evils, or they may not show up at all. But they aren't giving money to any candidate who supports abortion or defies jesus or whatever the rationale is. Without that collective campaign funding, it all becomes academic anyway. The Republican loses.

Taking a conservative white christian as your VP is like passing out the basket at church. Thats what its there for.
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
RoTM
Local High School Star

Default Re: Will the GOP commit the same mistake three presidential election cycles in a row?

Meh no one votes on vp picks. They ran two of their liberals on the main ticket and it that didn't work, not that they could even define it anymore within their own party. Biden and Clinton are soft so they might fall into it next time.

Last edited by RoTM : 07-15-2013 at 03:22 AM.
RoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
You are naive.

You have no idea how much money pours into the Republican nominee's campaign from these people and these groups. Without it, any Republican would be hard pressed to compete in any Presidential election.

If they don't approve of the Republican candidate, they may still show up to the polls and vote for him as the lesser of two evils, or they may not show up at all. But they aren't giving money to any candidate who supports abortion or defies jesus or whatever the rationale is. Without that collective campaign funding, it all becomes academic anyway. The Republican loses.

Taking a conservative white christian as your VP is like passing out the basket at church. Thats what its there for.

If they were running against anybody else, I might agree. But this is BO we're talking about...TWICE. That boogey-man had been built up for years. No need to continue to pander to the lower common denominator of the party.

The hatred for Obama within the party runs deep...I think those groups would still have donated to defeat him.

Last edited by Take Your Lumps : 07-15-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

Quote:
If they were running against anybody else, I might agree. But this is BO we're talking about...TWICE. That boogey-man had been built up for years. No need to continue to pander to the lower common denominator of the party.

The hatred for Obama within the party runs deep...I think those groups would still have donated to defeat him.

I dunno, people in the bible belt are extremely passionate about abortion and same sex m'erige. If they perceive a candidate as willing to compromise on those, even a republican candidate, even one running against Barry, they will withhold support. For better or for worse, they aint playin on those topics.

Moderates dont donate to campaigns like zealots do. However they do typically swing the elections. So the funny thing is Republican candidates have to appeal to the zealots in order to get the funding to campaign in the moderate states. And most moderate republicans prioritize abortion and marriage far less than the vangies.

Vicious cycle, aye
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
HarryCallahan
Banned

I think 70% chance the nominate another Romney/McCain/Dole who will have zero chance of winning.
I give them a 25% chance of nominating a guy that will actually have independent/democrat appeal.
I give them a 5% chance of nominating a Republican celebrity; Jeb Bush, Palin, Santorum etc.
HarryCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

They're going to have a Latino candidate next election. I guarantee they're going to use that angle because it ties into the social conservatism that they've been promoting, and they're probably going to use the "if you vote for us, you're making history!" rhetoric that Democrats used with Obama.
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialQue
They're going to have a Latino candidate next election. I guarantee they're going to use that angle because it ties into the social conservatism that they've been promoting, and they're probably going to use the "if you vote for us, you're making history!" rhetoric that Democrats used with Obama.

That sounds good on paper but who could they run besides Rubio? That guy's not ready for the big leagues.

I think Chris Christie provides the only real shot among the established GOP hopefuls vs. Hillary...he has that cross-party likeability and he hasn't backed himself into a lot of corners concerning social issues.

I called that lapband surgery months before he actually went through with it. He's already lost 40lbs in 3 months. Can you imagine how great he will look in a few years? Smart man.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:

Paul Ryan for VP. Because you really needed to shore up that white fiscal conservative vote when you already have the whitest guy on the planet at the top of the ticket. Like those people were ever going to vote for Barack Obama. :rolleyes:

Do they take another dive off the shallow end in 2016 or have they finally learned from their mistakes? Is their even an agreed upon direction for that party?

Shit, the guy they've been grooming for years still looks like he's in the middle of a hostage situation whenever he speaks in front of large crowds.

Clint Eastwood 2016?

Paul Ryan was picked to supposedly get the midwestern rust belt blue collar union guys. Pretty head scratching if you ask me.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

They're gonna have trouble until they can find a guy who relates to Hispanics and they tone down all the immigration rhetoric and grandstanding within the party.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
I think 70% chance the nominate another Romney/McCain/Dole who will have zero chance of winning.
I give them a 25% chance of nominating a guy that will actually have independent/democrat appeal.
I give them a 5% chance of nominating a Republican celebrity; Jeb Bush, Palin, Santorum etc.

McCain was the perfect moderate candidate until he actually ran if that makes sense. The GOP totally f*cked his campaign up and turned John McCain from independent leader to GOP lap dog.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
travelingman
Rules #2 dont give fk*

They should run with somebody like Susana Martinez on the ticket.
travelingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

They'll commit the same mistakes again.. They are already setting themselves for another fall
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
Peteballa
Go Gators

Quote:

Clint Eastwood 2016?

Peteballa is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: