Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
AllenIverson3
Get off me!

AllenIverson3 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default I've been selected to serve on a jury...

Has this happened to anyone before? Personally I don't wanna do it but I have too... Wat can I expect? I don't really know jack shit bout it... I took a business law class this past semester n it covered jus the basics. This is jus gonna be a waste of my time.

Hopefully they don't pick me to be one of 6 jurors deciding a case n shit
AllenIverson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: I've been selected to serve on a jury...

they pick me often for some reason. they have u call a number the night before and luckily i wasn't chosen the last 2 times. they just sent me a letter, but i told them i work a seasonal job and to hit me up later in the year. it worked, hopefully they forget about me for the next 4 years.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
MavsSuperFan
NBA rookie of the year

MavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenIverson3
Has this happened to anyone before? Personally I don't wanna do it but I have too... Wat can I expect? I don't really know jack shit bout it... I took a business law class this past semester n it covered jus the basics. This is jus gonna be a waste of my time.

Hopefully they don't pick me to be one of 6 jurors deciding a case n shit

Go in there and demonstrate a severe bias. they wont pick you.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs

Is He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat cool

I've been selected a couple of times, but luckily I was still attending college so I was excused. You're just gonna have to go and most likely you won't get picked anyway.
Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation

There are several points where you can be "weeded out" of the final jury, so I wouldn't say you have been selected to serve on a jury just yet.

First, as one poster mentioned, in my state there was a number you call the night before just to confirm if you're still supposed to show up. If not, then you're good to continue on with the rest of your life.

Then, the day of, I believe like 60-70% of the people who do show up are simply asked to just wait in a room for a few hours before being sent home. Only 20-30% of the people in the room I was in were asked to stay, I assume to be asked questions on whether they would be fit to serve on a jury. I was part of the 60-70% so I'm not sure exactly how many other exact rounds of cuts there are, but like someone else said, if you show extreme bias, they won't pick you.

I believe I read somewhere that both the prosecution and the defense have to agree to allow a person to be a jurer. So if you answer a simple question with "I hate all (insert race) people, and I believe they are guilty on site" or even some minor euphemism on that, there's no way you'll get picked unless they know you are trolling. In which case they would still probably not pick you.

Good luck, and enjoy the per diem (if they do comp you for a meal).
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
StocktonFan
Banned

StocktonFan has an OK reputation so far

Just say it's against your religion to judge
StocktonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
MavsSuperFan
NBA rookie of the year

MavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputation

If you want to be safe just go in there and say "Women in the workforce is a travesty. They all belong in the kitchen. Dirty whores use abortion as birth control."

Being a sexist is no big deal, and you wont get chosen.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

if you are black just drop the word ''n1gga'' a few times. and say you are there to represent the black community
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
FillJackson
I brick open layups

FillJackson has an OK reputation so far

I was the foreman of a jury once. It was a pretty interesting experience.

Civil trial involving a negligent landlord. Clear and obvious case of neglect, bu somehow a woman who was a landlord got on the jury and she held doubts that were, let's say extra-reasonable about why the building collapsed. Took a while to get 5 of 6 to vote for guilt. Once we got that, she did agree on on the second charge of neglect. The plaintiffs called a NYC civil engineer on a Friday and due to a scheduling conflict, the defense didn't call their guy until Monday. He was flown in from South Dakota and was obviously a rent-a-scientist whose made his living as a defense witness for hire. His job it was to spout a bunch of mumbo-jumbo to confuse the jury and it almost worked. By Monday every juror but me had forgotten all the science from the prosecution. Seriously, this guy was an obvious fraud. If what he was saying wasn't anything close to true half the buildings in NYC would have fallen down by now. Luckily for the plaintiffs I remembered such advanced physics as the existence of gravity. I was kind of shocked the lawyer didn't expose him on this.

Once we found the guy guilty, he immediately settled the case. He didn't want the jury to rule for damages.

Afterwards we found out the landlord had a history of these types of cases and also the lawyer who tried the case was a "trial guy" who was called in at the last minute. Crazy system.
FillJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
Go in there and demonstrate a severe bias. they wont pick you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFebZlUJ7E
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here

Like others have said, demonstrate bias. Just tell them you dont consider eyewitness testimony to be evidence enough to convict someone of a crime.

Done.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oh lawd are you white? You automatic racist ya heard!
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Bandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I was recently selected to serve in a jury. I don't want to do it either but I can share my experiences as I hadn't have one yet.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
WayOfWade
Returning AUG 2015

WayOfWade has an OK reputation so far

Just be all conservative and you'll be out in no time.
WayOfWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #15
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
if you are black just drop the word ''n1gga'' a few times. and say you are there to represent the black community

This was f.ucken funny man.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: