Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Summer Pro League prospects

Has anybody seen any of the Laker SPL games?
Saw a couple and must admit that Im quite surprised at some players abilities.
Im aware they were up against fellow prospects and Im not saying they will be great players but some I believe can help provided ofcourse that they get the right guidance..
1. Marcus Landry is the most impressive one for me, plus I think the Lakers still need another SF. The guy can shoot, averaged 40% from the 3pt line in 97 games the past 3 years, plus he is not short at 6-7.
2. Chris Douglas Roberts has the ability to attack the basket, good handles but Im not sure if he has good understanding of the game interms of when to shoot and when to pass etc.
3. Lester Hudson would have been a decent PG but the Lakers have 3 PGs right now. The past few games he's been the most consistent shooter but checking his career stats, he is not exactly an accurate one.
4. Travis Hyman's athletism and good timing and technique allowed him to patrol the lanes well and block/changed shots. Listed 7-0, he seems decent in bothering penetrators.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Summer Pro League prospects

Overall the Lakers summer league team was weak. I wasn't really impressed with anybody.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
Has anybody seen any of the Laker SPL games?
Saw a couple and must admit that Im quite surprised at some players abilities.
Im aware they were up against fellow prospects and Im not saying they will be great players but some I believe can help provided ofcourse that they get the right guidance..
1. Marcus Landry is the most impressive one for me, plus I think the Lakers still need another SF. The guy can shoot, averaged 40% from the 3pt line in 97 games the past 3 years, plus he is not short at 6-7.
2. Chris Douglas Roberts has the ability to attack the basket, good handles but Im not sure if he has good understanding of the game interms of when to shoot and when to pass etc.
3. Lester Hudson would have been a decent PG but the Lakers have 3 PGs right now. The past few games he's been the most consistent shooter but checking his career stats, he is not exactly an accurate one.
4. Travis Hyman's athletism and good timing and technique allowed him to patrol the lanes well and block/changed shots. Listed 7-0, he seems decent in bothering penetrators.

is landry 3/4? i dont know..i think D'Toni will play him at 4

Lester Hudson i like...and would prefer him & trading away JHill/Blake to get under the lux tax and avoid paying repeater's tax in long term
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Overall the Lakers summer league team was weak. I wasn't really impressed with anybody.

I never knew of players like Gary Neal, Danny Green, Will Bynum before, yes the first 2 had a great coach but Earl Clark also came out of no where last year. Did you know Matt Barnes also came out of the D League?
Old 07-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
is landry 3/4? i dont know..i think D'Toni will play him at 4

Lester Hudson i like...and would prefer him & trading away JHill/Blake to get under the lux tax and avoid paying repeater's tax in long term

Marcus' brother Carl is an obvious PF albeit he is undersized but I strongly believe he is a natural 3.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I never knew of players like Gary Neal, Danny Green, Will Bynum before, yes the first 2 had a great coach but Earl Clark also came out of no where last year. Did you know Matt Barnes also came out of the D League?

I've got no problem with taking a top player in the D-League. This is the summer league we're discussing and it's two completely different things. I followed the summer league pretty close. Everybody rated the Lakers roster fairly low. I'm not saying that because I don't recognize the names. I'm saying that because of what happened on the floor during the games. They streamed those games online.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
I've got no problem with taking a top player in the D-League. This is the summer league we're discussing and it's two completely different things. I followed the summer league pretty close. Everybody rated the Lakers roster fairly low. I'm not saying that because I don't recognize the names. I'm saying that because of what happened on the floor during the games. They streamed those games online.

Exactly!!!!!!!
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:

its offseason....its slow...what else are we suppose to talk about?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
its offseason....its slow...what else are we suppose to talk about?

I've got no problem talking about summer league. I love to watch the rookies first practices. It was just when it was being talked about people we should sign and things got confused with the D-League is when I had to point out it was a different conversation and I didn't want what I was posting to get mixed up. There's a few people that confused the D-League with the summer league. It's not a big deal, sometimes things get read wrong, etc.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Quote:
I've got no problem talking about summer league. I love to watch the rookies first practices. It was just when it was being talked about people we should sign and things got confused with the D-League is when I had to point out it was a different conversation and I didn't want what I was posting to get mixed up. There's a few people that confused the D-League with the summer league. It's not a big deal, sometimes things get read wrong, etc.

i remember when josh shelby was MVP with dam lilard last yr...
Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:

Pardon my ignorance because I am at a loss of why they are completely different.
Are you saying that SPL is so much inferior? I mean if I am a very good D-Leaguer, I would not only join but compete hard in the SPL because.
1. I want to show case my abilities to all the top personnel INCLUDING NBA Head coaches who are available right now, actually watching the games. I saw guys like Rivers, Carlisle being engaged. Their top assistants are actually coaching the games, seeing first hand how they play and adapt and interact to their respective systems. I can't fathom these head coaches actually being available to scout talent in the middle of the season bec they are usually trying to win games.
2. This is a great opportunity to compete and show how polished my skills are esp against the top collegiate players, most of which were already drafted.
3. Because I believe NBA teams treat this tourney as legit, They spent $$, risking injuries to their top picks etc.
When you said "they", you mean they as in the ones who rated guys like Patrick Beverly, Jeremy Lin low? Im not saying Im better than these guys but I am inferring they are human beings who commit mistakes too.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance because I am at a loss of why they are completely different.
Are you saying that SPL is so much inferior? I mean if I am a very good D-Leaguer, I would not only join but compete hard in the SPL because.
1. I want to show case my abilities to all the top personnel INCLUDING NBA Head coaches who are available right now, actually watching the games. I saw guys like Rivers, Carlisle being engaged. Their top assistants are actually coaching the games, seeing first hand how they play and adapt and interact to their respective systems. I can't fathom these head coaches actually being available to scout talent in the middle of the season bec they are usually trying to win games.
2. This is a great opportunity to compete and show how polished my skills are esp against the top collegiate players, most of which were already drafted.
3. Because I believe NBA teams treat this tourney as legit, They spent $$, risking injuries to their top picks etc.
When you said "they", you mean they as in the ones who rated guys like Patrick Beverly, Jeremy Lin low? Im not saying Im better than these guys but I am inferring they are human beings who commit mistakes too.

I'm not sure if inferior is the correct word but it is close. First of all, summer league is only a week. It's a very small sample size. The D-League is an entire season. If you excel for an entire season it's definitely more than just a hot streak. Also, there are plenty of people who have had amazing summer leagues and sucked really bad in the NBA. There's also top college players who have had terrible summer leagues who have went on to have great NBA careers. The two don't really translate. Everybody who watches the summer league realizes this. Dujuan Summers dominated summer league for a couple of seasons. He was nearly the Lebron James of summer league. He couldn't crack the Pistons rotation and he's been having a hard time even staying in the NBA. As for saying if you're a top D-League player why not play.... well because you can't. The summer league is meant for first and second year players. Those are the guys that typically get showcased. The D-League goes beyond that. Gerald Green is a good example of that. I like discussing both the summer league and D-league but they really are two completely different conversations.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
I'm not sure if inferior is the correct word but it is close. First of all, summer league is only a week. It's a very small sample size. The D-League is an entire season. If you excel for an entire season it's definitely more than just a hot streak. Also, there are plenty of people who have had amazing summer leagues and sucked really bad in the NBA. There's also top college players who have had terrible summer leagues who have went on to have great NBA careers. The two don't really translate. Everybody who watches the summer league realizes this. Dujuan Summers dominated summer league for a couple of seasons. He was nearly the Lebron James of summer league. He couldn't crack the Pistons rotation and he's been having a hard time even staying in the NBA. As for saying if you're a top D-League player why not play.... well because you can't. The summer league is meant for first and second year players. Those are the guys that typically get showcased. The D-League goes beyond that. Gerald Gnreen is a good example of that. I like discussing both the summer league and D-league but they really are two completely different conversations.
incased you missed it, i posted landry's fg% from his 97 d league games and not frm the SPL. i understand its a small sample, that is why also checked Hudsons fg frm d league and not allow myself to be emotional after being hot in the last few games esp after swishing a 27 footer. Again the past top collegiate players are also competing. also not that other d leagers also struggle in the SPL like CDR who lorded over the D league and yet just ave 9 pts/ game
Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
incased you missed it, i posted landry's fg% from his 97 d league games and not frm the SPL. i understand its a small sample, that is why also checked Hudsons fg frm d league and not allow myself to be emotional after being hot in the last few games esp after swishing a 27 footer. Again the past top collegiate players are also competing. also not that other d leagers also struggle in the SPL like CDR who lorded over the D league and yet just ave 9 pts/ game

Chicago Bulls Andrew Goudelock Summer League Stats: 19.0 PPG 47.1% FG 52.2% 3PT in 5 Games........so impressive that he signed a 1yr deal......in Russia.

Let me try to explain to you the difference;

In summer league you have players who neither know the offense or defense the team is running, the summer league is the beginning of their learning process. There are a ton of guys who's main goal is to get exercise, get in shape for the upcoming season and not get hurt, especially top draft picks who are guaranteed a spot. If these guys don't know the system they are running it becomes as significant as YOU hitting baskets in your driveway by yourself, it is NOT real basketball but merely exercise. In summer league, many guys are working on things that they don't do well, not things that they would be doing if it was a real game, so guys who are slashers will maybe take a bunch of 3's instead of driving or vice versa.

Just know this Tam, there is not a single insider who would tell you that Summer league is in the remote class of D-League basketball.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Chicago Bulls Andrew Goudelock Summer League Stats: 19.0 PPG 47.1% FG 52.2% 3PT in 5 Games........so impressive that he signed a 1yr deal......in Russia. :oldlol:

Let me try to explain to you the difference;

In summer league you have players who neither know the offense or defense the team is running, the summer league is the beginning of their learning process. There are a ton of guys who's main goal is to get exercise, get in shape for the upcoming season and not get hurt, especially top draft picks who are guaranteed a spot. If these guys don't know the system they are running it becomes as significant as YOU hitting baskets in your driveway by yourself, it is NOT real basketball but merely exercise. In summer league, many guys are working on things that they don't do well, not things that they would be doing if it was a real game, so guys who are slashers will maybe take a bunch of 3's instead of driving or vice versa.

Just know this Tam, there is not a single insider who would tell you that Summer league is in the remote class of D-League basketball.
Thanks for the input, but pls don't ignore my point that I CROSS REFERENCED the SPL prospects' stats FROM their D-League averages, hence, YES, I understand the SPL has a smaller sample and but I just don't think SPL is totally insignificant. Scouts and Head coaches are there and I don't think they were there to hold hands and sing kumbaya, infact the Lakers just signed a player who has played ZERO seconds in the D-League and just played a few games in the SPL.

Last edited by tamaraw08 : 07-29-2013 at 07:10 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: