Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #46
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people
Default Re: MLK's niece on viral hoodie image: 'Martin Luther King Jr. would not wear a hoodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
Eh, growing up in a middle class neighborhood in SA, mostly white and hispanic, I saw hoodies on the regular especially in the 90's when skating skyrocketed in popularity. There wasn't a correlation with bad behavior/outcasts.

Even in hot ass Texas, so many people of all demographics rocked hoodies.

The fact that Trayvon was wearing one, and Zimmerman found him suspicious for whatever reasons (his behavior, mostly), seems like happenstance.

Interesting.

I don't consider myself a prejudiced person (I rail on people when they label people by race in casual conversation), but I'm steadfast in my belief, based on who I grew up with, i.e. my high schools population, that those wearing hoodies are 10x more likely to be f*ckups than those not wearing them.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #47
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: MLK's niece on viral hoodie image: 'Martin Luther King Jr. would not wear a hoodie

There are good and bad people of all color, and it's dumb to judge an individual by their color. But I'd like to see more individual black people stand up against the non-sense going on. The statistics on black crime are pretty atrocious. I know blacks are more likely to be arrested/convicted for the same crime a white person gets away with. But when black people are charged with murder only slightly less than whites, while having less than half the population, that is just insane.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...3/10tbl43a.xls

We need a nice guy revolution in this country. Why can't we all just be cool to each other?

As a white person I think black people have a lot of shit shoveled on them by the government, like the drug war and racism in the legal system. Slavery obviously. But at a certain point, individuals need to take responsibility. The fact that we have hoods in America like what goes on in Chicago is a disgrace. Where are the individuals who will stop the finger pointing, because I can also tell you as a white person.. it's getting to the point where reverse racism is no longer a silly overreaction by white people. IMO.
joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #48
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

This is random but I was on ChatRoulette like a year ago and got matched up with a black kid in his early 20's. And I got the urge to say, "dude, why can't we all just get along? Whites, blacks." I said it, and he looked at me and laughed and was like "Bro, I was just thinking the EXACT SAME THING." And we had a pretty cool conversation for a few minutes.

I do believe that there's some sort of collective nature to humans. I don't think it was a coincidence that we were both thinking that at the same time. I think there's a sense between the younger people of both generations to just let go of all the non-sense.

But for that to work both sides have to meet in the middle. Stop fighting like this about George Zimmerman.
joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #49
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
There are good and bad people of all color, and it's dumb to judge an individual by their color. But I'd like to see more individual black people stand up against the non-sense going on. The statistics on black crime are pretty atrocious. I know blacks are more likely to be arrested/convicted for the same crime a white person gets away with. But when black people are charged with murder only slightly less than whites, while having less than half the population, that is just insane.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...3/10tbl43a.xls

We need a nice guy revolution in this country. Why can't we all just be cool to each other?

As a white person I think black people have a lot of shit shoveled on them by the government, like the drug war and racism in the legal system. Slavery obviously. But at a certain point, individuals need to take responsibility. The fact that we have hoods in America like what goes on in Chicago is a disgrace. Where are the individuals who will stop the finger pointing, because I can also tell you as a white person.. it's getting to the point where reverse racism is no longer a silly overreaction by white people. IMO.

A couple of things..

If you want to see blacks stand up against the problems in their neighborhoods? there are a ton of programs and intiatives, groups designed to combat it. All you have to do is LOOK for it joe.. its not going to fall into your lap.. Go look at every white guy's favorite boogeyman AL sharpton's web page... Look and see how many programs he has to fight black on black crime..

Do some real research and stop whining

Secondly... There is no such thing as "reverse racism"

Racism is racism.. Whether it be against whites or blacks or Asians or whatever... It is called racism
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #50
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...ticle-1.292142

http://www.blackyouthproject.com/201...-gun-violence/

http://wgntv.com/2013/07/13/rev-jess...ce-in-chicago/

http://www.rainbowpush.org/news/sing...rally_friday_e

http://praiseconnect.michronicleonli...violence-there

This should start you off joe..

Have a look at some of the anti-violence programs and networks in cities across the country.

http://www.uac.org/partners/philadel...e-network-paan
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #51
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

She's basically saying, "You have no right to use my relative's image in this context. You have no idea how he would react to, or feel about this case; and the use of a powerful figure for a cause they don't necessarily support is slanderous."

She just said it poorly.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #52
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

This will conveniently be ignore because it doesn't fit into an agenda.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #53
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

OldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
:
If you want to see blacks stand up against the problems in their neighborhoods? there are a ton of programs and intiatives, groups designed to combat it. All you have to do is LOOK for it joe.. its not going to fall into your lap.. Go look at every white guy's favorite boogeyman AL sharpton's web page... Look and see how many programs he has to fight black on black crime..

You are right, the stuff is out there.

So the next, and more important question is.... Why isn't it working?

Not trying to be glib. Trying to be serious. This is obviously a very important question for everyone. It has to be answered. BOTH sides have to take responsibility. And personally I feel that at this point in time, in 2013, especially when you consider how hard Democrats are trying to get resources to the black community... the "white" side (and i dont mean obvious backwoods racists in kentucky), but white politicians and white voters who participate in politics etc. are being very very politically correct with things like affirmative action, minority scholarships and grants, various social assistances... I mean I think "America" (which is predominantly white) is doing a lot. The results still aren't there. There really does have to be a dialogue.

Part of it is non racial too. Crime is going to exist more in cities than in rural areas, even amongst equally low income people. Obviously traditionally low-income blacks live in major cities, low-income whites live on the plains of Kansas. I think there is more temptation and more anonymity in the city which breeds crime. But still, Mexicans and Asians have been in these positions as well and not been as ridiculously prone to violence and crime. Part of it is the culture. And it simply has to change. White people are offering the incentive (scholarships, workplace diversity, motivational commercials and billboards lol etc. etc.) but they can't forcibly go in and change the culture without being decried as bigots. That's gonna take more effort from the black community itself.
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #54
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Bum
lmao oh shit now we can't wear hoodies anymore

Whoosh, missed the point by a mile.

Assuming you're a male:
It's like if someone photoshopped a picture of you wearing a skirt, and in context, it was used to demonstrate your support of feminism(despite you NOT giving consent, or have demonstrated that parallel of very support).
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #55
MadeFromDust
i take yo azz 2da hole

MadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this board

The cracka ass crackas from OKC on "Street Outlaws" wear hoodies all the time. You know hoodies gone mainstream now.
MadeFromDust is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: