Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far
Arrow NYT: "they scream at us...not for us."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/sp...=1&oref=slogin

Quote:
In those days, Sacramento’s bandbox Arco Arena was clanging with cow bells. From 2001 to 2004, the Kings never lost more than eight games at home. They are 16-12 at home this season. Though they have made the playoffs eight consecutive seasons, they are 23-31 this season and three games out of eighth place and a berth in the playoffs.

“I know it’s tough to see for our fans,” Bibby said. “They are still the same fans, but a lot of them scream at us now, instead of scream for us.”

While the Nets’ new arena has not yet been built, the Kings are in a more precarious position, still hoping for public approval and civic support for a new home.

The team’s losing has not engendered much support, the Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said Thursday in a phone interview. “The real character test of our franchise is, how are we going to turn this around?” Maloof said. “That’s up to the whole organization.”

The Kings are 0-5 in overtime games and have lost 11 by 5 points or fewer.

Maloof pointed to the new coach, Eric Musselman, who had two losing seasons as head coach at Golden State in 2003 and 2004. “He needs to address those close losses,” Maloof said, adding: “I think he’s a little inexperienced, to be honest. Nobody is going to work harder than Eric Musselman.”

Musselman, 42, got off to a rocky start when he was arrested for drunken driving before the season. His relentless style and reliance on statistical analysis rather than a player’s experience has not always made him a sympathetic figure to players. Ron Artest said that Musselman sometimes lacked a feel for substitutions and game rhythms.

“At the beginning of the season, I was disappointed how we were playing, how we were being used,” Artest said Friday. “But as the season has gone on, Muss has gotten better at learning how to deal with players.”

In Friday’s loss, Musselman yanked his starters early when their jump shots did not fall, a move that mystified Bibby.

When asked to describe Musselman’s style, Shareef Abdur-Rahim looked over to Bibby for an assist, but Bibby said, “You got to answer that for yourself, dude.”

Abdur-Rahim answered, “Intense.”

Musselman said: “My first year in Orlando, I worked for a Hall of Fame coach in Chuck Daly, and he said it takes 50 games to know your team. Each game takes on more importance as the season goes on. We have to play at a different pace on the road. It’s got to start soon.”

Musselman needed something like that, somebody needed to tell him to step it up a notch or two....or thirty.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: NYT: "they scream at us...not for us."

I don't like the fans screaming at the players(of course when I went to a game I didn't see people screaming at the players, the players just sucked so bad they killed the arena and there was no sound at all practically) but I don't like Bibby saying that either. And I don't like Muss at all, he's a freakin moron. I'm pretty sure he'll be fired at the end of the season.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far

every game i go to i always hear the fans screaming at the players, whether it's just a slight "oh play some defense, brad!" or a louder..."oooooh come on Mike Bibby" from a guy sitting right next to the bench lol. but it doesnt help when the team is sucking so bad like it is. if the maloofs give muss a 2nd chance next season....give me a chair and a rope.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:22 AM   #4
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
every game i go to i always hear the fans screaming at the players, whether it's just a slight "oh play some defense, brad!" or a louder..."oooooh come on Mike Bibby" from a guy sitting right next to the bench lol. but it doesnt help when the team is sucking so bad like it is. if the maloofs give muss a 2nd chance next season....give me a chair and a rope.

Why would you need the chair? So you can let Musselman stand on it and you won't have to look down when you talk to him?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Miles and Miles
High School JV MVP

Miles and Miles has an OK reputation so far

So lets see who has Muss lost support from?

1. Artest
2. Bibby
3. SAR
4. Thomas
5. Petrie
6. Sometimes the Maloofs although they go back and forth.
7. The fans.

Who's left?
Miles and Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles and Miles
So lets see who has Muss lost support from?

1. Artest
2. Bibby
3. SAR
4. Thomas
5. Petrie
6. Sometimes the Maloofs although they go back and forth.
7. The fans.

Who's left?

His kids... oh wait I remember hearing that his 8 and 10 year old(something like that) decided they hate him too after the embarassing DUI.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: