Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default UNC's Roy Williams comments on PJ Hairston, "...serious consequences"

Here is the full statement.

Quote:
I initially decided not to make a statement about P.J. (Hairston) until the legal process had been finalized. I believe that is the fair way that everyone should be treated and is the way of our country.

"P.J. and I have had several discussions already and he knows he has made serious mistakes and there will be serious consequences as a result. Certainly the idea of suspending P.J. has been discussed. However, he is not currently enrolled in summer school, is not practicing with the team and we have no games until November. There are several options available in terms of discipline, but we are going to wait until the process is complete to decide on those options.

"Other issues have been written about recently that are disturbing and bother me deeply. Our basketball program is based on great ideals, and these issues are embarrassing. These are not common in my 10 years as head coach at UNC, and they will all be dealt with harshly and appropriately at the correct time to ensure that our program will not be compromised.

"We will care about each individual, but there will be serious actions taken that will fix these issues. I take pride in our values and how we have conducted ourselves for a long time here at Carolina, and this time will pass, but it will be dealt with strongly.

"We are talking about a program that has been a model of success on and off the court, and it will be again. I want to thank our fans for their patience, understanding and support.

Sounds like PJ is gonna be punished severely internally before the NCAA has a chance to step in (not sure why they would, but it's a very NCAA thing to do).
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Dengness9 is considered somewhat coolDengness9 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: UNC's Roy Williams comments on PJ Hairston, "...serious consequences"

Born and raised Tar Heel fan....

Im worried about the program a lil bit. Not so much over this situation but it doesnt help anything.

Heels need to get back to a title game in the next 2-3 seasons.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: UNC's Roy Williams comments on PJ Hairston, "...serious consequences"

UNC? Severe punishment?

Will he have to attend one of his classes as punishment next semester ?

kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
UNC? Severe punishment?

Will he have to attend one of his classes as punishment next semester ?

Aren't you a UConn fan?
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Aren't you a UConn fan?

was about to post this

you should be the last one to talk kNicKz
Old 07-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Of course PJ would get stopped for reckless driving today.

It's not necessarily what he did. Ordinary speeding ticket and everyone easily tops 80 where he was driving. But my god, how stupid can you possibly be? I just cannot believe this kid. Don't' forget the picture of him drinking posted on twitter during 4th of July weekend. He's still 20 years old.

Isolate each incident and a punishment of a 5-10 game suspension with heavy weighted running, or whatever, would be completely acceptable. Assuming no new facts come out (the rental car stuff is still an issue). That he is adding to the resume in such a short period of time when he knows he's on thin ice... PJ doesn't get it and I'm not sure he ever will.

And some UNC fans wonder why Roy goes through such a strenuous process before he offers a kid. One mistake by a player and your entire program can go under. UNC football nearly died just because a few players slept on a couch, ffs.

The problem is: all he's really been charged for are two speeding tickets. Is it really that big of a deal?

There are also the ethical issues. I'm not going to act like UNC's entire season doesn't depend on him. Also that regardless of how big of a moron he is, you know he and Roy have that father-son type relationship going. Personally, I feel like if you bail on PJ now then he might never recover. He's clearly at a crossroads in his life right now.

I would hate to be in Roy's shoes right now. If I were him, I think I would suspend PJ for the season. Which would obviously mean his career is over.

And as I post this, Roy suspends him indefinitely. Good job by Roy for making the correct decision immediately. No player is bigger than the program.

Last edited by IGotACoolStory : 07-28-2013 at 11:20 PM.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
KG215

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm done with P.J. at this point. We'll probably be NIT bound without him, but I'm pretty sick of his immaturity, and wouldn't be the least bit upset if he gets kicked off the team.

Last edited by KG215 : 07-29-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

North Carolina's P.J. Hairston was cited for reckless and careless driving on Sunday afternoon and subsequently suspended indefinitely from the basketball team by coach Roy Williams, the school announced late Sunday.

Hairston was driving 93 mph in a 65 mph zone.

He is due in a North Carolina courtroom on Aug. 30.

-- CBS Sports
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Burgz V2
Good college starter

too bad for their team. should have went to the league, probably might have had a better spring recruiting had he not been there.

don't feel bad for him at all. people make mistakes, so I won't drag him through the dirt, but as far as any sympathy, none whatsoever.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2012...e-lolegitimate

Old 07-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
kNicKz
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Aren't you a UConn fan?

Enosch Wolf was arrested and lost his scholarship over it. If this is referring to our APR, we don't have the luxury of putting up fake scores like UNC....but this also is completely irrelevant
Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Enosch Wolf was arrested and lost his scholarship over it. If this is referring to our APR, we don't have the luxury of putting up fake scores like UNC....but this also is completely irrelevant

Can you list me all the basketball players who took that class? Thanks in advance.

From the scuttlebutt around the admin office, sounds like PJ will return around the new year if he stays out of trouble.

Driving the rental car should only mean he has to pay back the "impermissible benefits" and sit out a few games (which would be covered in what Roy is likely to suspend him for). Bazz, CJ Leslie, amongst others are similar cases that regard.

I really hope he can turn his life around. Although to be honest, I'm still on the fence that he should be kicked off the team.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
Can you list me all the basketball players who took that class? Thanks in advance.

From the scuttlebutt around the admin office, sounds like PJ will return around the new year if he stays out of trouble.

Driving the rental car should only mean he has to pay back the "impermissible benefits" and sit out a few games (which would be covered in what Roy is likely to suspend him for). Bazz, CJ Leslie, amongst others are similar cases that regard.

I really hope he can turn his life around. Although to be honest, I'm still on the fence that he should be kicked off the team.

You'd probably know more than I but if he does return at the New Year he'll get off extremely easy. I had the feeling he was going to be made an example of. I could be wrong though.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
kNicKz
College superstar

Quote:
You remember Connecticut, don't you? The Huskies are ineligible for the 2013 NCAA tournament because poor academic scores.

UConn athletic director Warde Manuel said he was not intimately familiar with the details of the UNC scandal, but that he found it "odd" the NCAA would punish Connecticut severely and not punish North Carolina at all. Manuel called it a "double standard."

The NCAA just made it clear: The Huskies should have cheated. UConn should have given all its players a phony A. Then the NCAA would say, "No violations here!" Instead, UConn was honest about its academic failures, and the NCAA banned the Huskies. Tell me again about those "life lessons" the NCAA wants to teach.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...aud/index.html

now we gotta win the whole ****in thing

Last edited by kNicKz : 08-02-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
KG215

Quote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...aud/index.html

now we gotta win the whole ****in thing
Are you going to answer his question?

Either way, you're an idiot. I always get a kick out of fans of schools who have been in trouble recently with the NCAA making fun and laughing at other schools who have gotten in trouble with the NCAA.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: