Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
poido123
Lifetime Bulls fan

Default Since when does being old...

Mean you can't play the game anymore? I hear alot of stuff about the Nets having old players and they can't win it etc etc, yet being old can also mean experienced and battle hardened...

Nets have some old players who are still producing at a decent rate with playoff experience, yet they write the Nets off because they have some old players?

If Pierce and KG produce near to what they produce last year, Nets are no doubt dangerous. They keep saying the same thing about the Spurs year in year out, and look how they went last year....

I just think Nets deserve some respect here, not saying they are favourites but they have one hell of a team if everyone is healthy in the playoffs.
poido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Default Re: Since when does being old...

Age raises the odds of injury, reduces athleticism, and means minutes have to be managed. That's going to be the problem the Nets contend with like any other old team in league history. Kidd must strike the right balance between competing for a high seed and keeping his Celtics fresh.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
poido123
Lifetime Bulls fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Age raises the odds of injury, reduces athleticism, and means minutes have to be managed. That's going to be the problem the Nets contend with like any other old team in league history. Kidd must strike the right balance between competing for a high seed and keeping his Celtics fresh.

If he manages the players minutes well during the reg season, no reason why they can't be one of the favourites in the playoffs.

The knock I had on the Nets last year, was that they had a lack of leadership on the court and guys who could hang tough when they were under pressure. There were moments when they were playing the Bulls where I thought they will win the series if they take advantage of a lead, but time and time again they would let the Bulls hang in there and lose games they should of won.

I think athleticism is a plus, although veterans who make the big plays in tight games and have sound fundamentals are every bit as vital as athleticism and youth.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by poido123
If he manages the players minutes well during the reg season, no reason why they can't be one of the favourites in the playoffs.

The knock I had on the Nets last year, was that they had a lack of leadership on the court and guys who could hang tough when they were under pressure. There were moments when they were playing the Bulls where I thought they will win the series if they take advantage of a lead, but time and time again they would let the Bulls hang in there and lose games they should of won.

I think athleticism is a plus, although veterans who make the big plays in tight games and have sound fundamentals are every bit as vital as athleticism and youth.

Veteran experience is important, no doubt, but being able to field your best players for longer periods of time when needed is invaluable. That's the trade off you're forced to make with older players. Being old doesn't mean that a guy can no longer play, but it does mean that he generally can't play for as long and as efficiently as younger, more athletic players. As we saw this year with Miami in the playoffs, rotations and managed minutes sometimes go down the drain when you're looking to find lineups that are playing well together during key stretches of the game. Having the flexibility of leaving a guy on the floor for much longer than he is generally out there comes in handy more often than not.

That said, if Kidd can properly manage Paul and KG's minutes, the Nets can be a dangerous team, age and all. They should not be discounted. Most interesting will be the leadership and mentoring Kidd, Paul and KG will provide Deron and Joe Johnson.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
PickernRoller
LA Championship Cruise

Kidd is not the right man for the job I am afraid. I feel bad for Net fans for that reason. They got a solid team to contend now but the coach? Little experience in the field. It's one thing to be a player and it's another to manage a pack a wolves. He will it easy with league veterans but still. What offense is he going to run, defense.

A lot of unknowns.
PickernRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Fresh Kid
Banned

Pierce and k.g are old and done, end of story
Fresh Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
The JKidd Kid
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Kid

That's why they either made the All-Star team, or got multiple votes for the All-Star team, right?

Hell man, whatever helps you sleep at night.
The JKidd Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
poido123
Lifetime Bulls fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Kid

Like Duncan, KG continues to play at a good level, despite his age. Guys like that are fundamentally sound and know where to be on the court.

I'm more concerned with Pierce, he appeared slow and lost his game over strings of games. Perhaps playing too many minutes, but he is a guy Kidd should definately be looking to rest the most during the reg season.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
alexd
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JKidd Kid
That's why they either made the All-Star team, or got multiple votes for the All-Star team, right?

Hell man, whatever helps you sleep at night.

allstars is just a popularity contest but i agree both are valuable players in playoff.they need to manage their minutes.both will be more effective than last year since they don thave to put their team on their back like they did with the celtics.they are too old to carry a team through regular season and playoffs.we saw how they struggled to do that last year.but i can see them win a title this year if everything goes smoothly.pierce doesn t have to hog the ball and iso all game long to score.garnett won t have to rebound or be the only offensive inside player they got.they can cruise regular season and play hard in the playoffs.they have the character and experience to win without having home court advantage which is huge during he playoffs
alexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
The JKidd Kid
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickernRoller
Kidd is not the right man for the job I am afraid. I feel bad for Net fans for that reason. They got a solid team to contend now but the coach? Little experience in the field. It's one thing to be a player and it's another to manage a pack a wolves. He will it easy with league veterans but still. What offense is he going to run, defense.

A lot of unknowns.

Actually, we know what offense and defense he's going to run. He said that he's going to run an offense similar to Dallas during their championship run. Its going to be a system based offense, based on quick decision making, spreading the floor and ball movement. I honestly don't understand how anyone can question Kidds ability to run an offense, especially with a PG like Deron.

We can also assume what defense he's going to run, considering that there are so many people from that Boston Chip run on this team. Lawrence Frank was the defensive coordinator for that team, and both KG and Pierce know how to run it, as they have been running it in Boston for the last 6 years.

Also, I don't think that managing their minutes will be a problem at all. This is because they have an incredible amount of depth and versatility at the forward positions. They have JJ who can play SF, AK who can play starting quality minutes at both forwards, they have Evans who is very valuable off the bench and they have Blatche who can start. The funny thing about this team is that PP and KG could sit out one game and they would still have a better team than last year.

I think the only reason people are targeting age and Kidd is because they have nothing left to target. Nets are to deep for age to hurt them and Kidd has too much support and experience around him for him to fail.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
plowking
greeting earthlings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickernRoller

A lot of unknowns.

Yeah, I still can't wrap my head around the fact he is a coach...
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
poido123
Lifetime Bulls fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JKidd Kid
Actually, we know what offense and defense he's going to run. He said that he's going to run an offense similar to Dallas during their championship run. Its going to be a system based offense, based on quick decision making, spreading the floor and ball movement. I honestly don't understand how anyone can question Kidds ability to run an offense, especially with a PG like Deron.

We can also assume what defense he's going to run, considering that there are so many people from that Boston Chip run on this team. Lawrence Frank was the defensive coordinator for that team, and both KG and Pierce know how to run it, as they have been running it in Boston for the last 6 years.

Also, I don't think that managing their minutes will be a problem at all. This is because they have an incredible amount of depth and versatility at the forward positions. They have JJ who can play SF, AK who can play starting quality minutes at both forwards, they have Evans who is very valuable off the bench and they have Blatche who can start. The funny thing about this team is that PP and KG could sit out one game and they would still have a better team than last year.

I think the only reason people are targeting age and Kidd is because they have nothing left to target. Nets are to deep for age to hurt them and Kidd has too much support and experience around him for him to fail.

Very good post man

The way the team is sitting now, looks like they have covered alot of bases from players to the coaches.

From a Bulls perspective, I just hope they encounter the Heat in the playoffs before taking on the Bulls...

Last edited by poido123 : 07-17-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
The JKidd Kid
Local High School Star

Quote:
Very good post man

The way the team is sitting now, looks like they have covered alot of bases from players to the coaches.

From a Bulls perspective, I just hope they encounter the Heat i the playoffs before taking on the Bulls...

So you guys don't have to play the Heat, right?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
poido123
Lifetime Bulls fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Veteran experience is important, no doubt, but being able to field your best players for longer periods of time when needed is invaluable. That's the trade off you're forced to make with older players. Being old doesn't mean that a guy can no longer play, but it does mean that he generally can't play for as long and as efficiently as younger, more athletic players. As we saw this year with Miami in the playoffs, rotations and managed minutes sometimes go down the drain when you're looking to find lineups that are playing well together during key stretches of the game. Having the flexibility of leaving a guy on the floor for much longer than he is generally out there comes in handy more often than not.

That said, if Kidd can properly manage Paul and KG's minutes, the Nets can be a dangerous team, age and all. They should not be discounted. Most interesting will be the leadership and mentoring Kidd, Paul and KG will provide Deron and Joe Johnson.

I agree. There's no doubt it's a luxury to have your best players on the court for long minutes.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
Fresh Kid
Banned

Quote:
Like Duncan, KG continues to play at a good level, despite his age. Guys like that are fundamentally sound and know where to be on the court.

I'm more concerned with Pierce, he appeared slow and lost his game over strings of games. Perhaps playing too many minutes, but he is a guy Kidd should definately be looking to rest the most during the reg season.
watch everybody will see that kg is no longer kg, not at all.
Fresh Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: