Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Any runners in here?

I've been trying to get more into running lately. I run a weekly 5k event, and usually run 3-4 days a week on the side, but would eventually like to do 10k's, half marathons, and possibly full marathon's someday. What are some good training programs out there to help improve me, build endurance, and reach some of these goals? I don't want to plateau. Also, what experience do some of you guys have with running?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 is considered somewhat coolAlphaWolf24 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Any runners in here?

- I run 3 miles per day 4 days a week....

- at least 1 mile of the run is up hill....

- I don't really Follow any " Pro Training regimine"...I just use what I found works for me....... wake up at 5AM and run hills/off road terrain/circuit train

- midway through the run I do circuit training ( 3 sets of Pullups 15 - 20 reps......3 sets of Pushups 30 - 40 reps.........3 sets of core= 40 reps of crunchy frogs.....every Friday I add legs/ 40 squat jacks....40 squat jumps

- I'm pretty lucky to live on Californias Coast...so running is great and makes it exciting ( seeing Deer,skunks,rabbits, hopefully not seeing mountain lions!)..also running hills is really hard but does the job.

- gonna run the Tough Mudder in Tahoe in september.....
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

AboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this board

I'll be a senior in college starting in the fall and I've run Cross Country and Track since freshman year of high school. Currently I'm doing 80-85 miles per week in preparation for cross country (I'll peak at around 90 in a couple of weeks). I've had the benefit of having 4 different coaches and lots of teammates to get a lot of different approaches to training.

There are TONS of training plans online for all levels of runners. You'll especially see a lot geared specifically towards beginners or complete newcomers (I like coolrunning's site for these kinds of plans http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/ There are definitely pros and cons to following really structured training plans. Some pros would be: easier to set goals with regular scheduled workouts and races, don't have to think too much about training on a day to day basis, gives you a good idea of how to approach training. Cons would be: not very much flexibility, can be overwhelming, etc.

I have raced distances from 800 meters through half marathon, and plan to do full marathons once I graduate. Once you start to get into decent running shape, races are a blast. There are few experiences I've had that can match the amount of adrenaline and competitiveness I feel when racing.

Even though I truly love running, there are days where I am not super motivated to go out and do it. In 99% of these cases once I can convince myself to start running, then I'm happy to be doing it, so a piece of advice would be to not convince yourself that you don't want to run before giving it a mile or two to actually see if you want to run or not.

If you would like a more specific plan (types of workouts, how much mileage, what kinds of cross training you can do) to help you on your way I would be happy to oblige.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

For a while I was on a strong running stretch last year. Worked my way up to a couple 5k races, then one 10k race and was pretty proud of my time considering I'm a heavy guy. Then I stopped I do plan on buying some shoes this wekend and getting back into it though.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No runners. Just clickers and bloaters now. The virus has been out for too long and everyone infected has had it so long that they transformed.

Oh, Joel... Why didn't you save humanity?!
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Shoes make a tremendous difference . Definitely invest in some good ones. Don't try to save a few bucks because you will pay the price physically.

As another poster stated, try doing more runs uphill. It will make even surface running 5x easier.

Last edited by Tarik One : 07-18-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

AboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Shoes make a tremendous difference . Definitely invest in some good ones. Don't try to save a few bucks because you will pay the price physically.

As another poster stated, try doing more runs uphill. It will make even surface running 5x easier.

Definitely don't skimp on quality of shoes, but buy from the right place (online). Running/athletic stores overprice the cost of shoes tremendously. You can go to a running store to try shoes on before buying them online (which is definitely a good idea until you find something you like).www.runningwarehouse.com is a great site that has a liquidation section that has shoes up to 50% retail price.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: