Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Anyone here know much about web design/development?

I'm looking to make a little extra money and I've managed to get a few people to let me design some web sites for them. These are only basic sites but it has been quite awhile since I've built a site and the internet has come a long way since then. Does anyone have any tips or online resources that they could share with me? I'm fine with HTML, and CSS is starting to come together, but I want to start either implementing or building sites with more functionality. I'm just not sure where to begin? I've begun watching some videos on Javascript and PHP but I'm not sure what the best approach or order to learn these in is?
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Anyone here know much about web design/development?

Take a couple classes at a community college.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
miller-time

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushxx
Take a couple classes at a community college.

There isn't anything like that here. Unless I go back to university, most outside courses are very introductory.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's all too easy, and there is a how-to for everything. Believe me, I have been coding for close to 30 years in many languages, and HTML/CSS standards are not the different now. The only difference you might need to pick up on, is implementing a query function that fits your project(and queries aren't new either, just the amount of ways to run queries are pretty detailed).

Seriously, web-design and "development" is the McDonalds skill of the programming world. Useful, because you feed the masses, but anyone can do it.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
miller-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallas
Seriously, web-design and "development" is the McDonalds skill of the programming world. Useful, because you feed the masses, but anyone can do it.

I'm not asking for your opinion on where web development lies on the programming spectrum. I'm asking for help in learning it.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

www.coursea.com

www.codeacademy.com

www.khanacademy.org

www.w3schools.com

Use jQuery to assist with Javascript. It will greatly simplify your life.

CSS will make you want to tear your hair out. If possible, try not to make designs that require pixel perfect positioning, especially as you get started.

The comments on php.net are great. I believe you can just type something like php.net/echo and it will give you the help file for that function.

Find a good editor. I don't do much deep PHP dev, but eventually you may wamt to look into an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) such as Eclipse. But for just getting started, I recommend Notepad++, which is my preferred text editor.

You should also set up a local dev environment. If you're using Windows, I think there's an all-in-one solution called WampServer. It had Apache web server, MySQL database, and PHP included.

There are other solutions, too. But a lot of people like that one.

If you're using Firefox, the FireBug extension is amazing. I thinn I also have used a helpful extension called Web Debeloper's Toolkit.

Developer Tools (press F12) in IE is also great. Dunno about Safari or Chrome.

And stackoverflow.com and serverfault.com are your new best friends from now on.

That'll be 50 bucks.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
I'm not asking for your opinion on where web development lies on the programming spectrum. I'm asking for help in learning it.

And I'm saying, just dive in. You said you used to do some HTML, I'm saying that it's not that different. When you run into an idea that you want to put into a production environment, just search. There are so many different resources, thousands, like trying to land in water, when you're in the middle of the ocean.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
miller-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
CSS will make you want to tear your hair out. If possible, try not to make designs that require pixel perfect positioning, especially as you get started.

Haha I'm going through that stage. That is why I am trying to move beyond it lol.

Quote:
That'll be 50 bucks.

Done

Thanks for your help :)
Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Haha I'm going through that stage. That is why I am trying to move beyond it lol.

Done

Quote:

Thanks for your help :)

reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
LakersDaBEst
But it's Provocative

LakersDaBEst has not been impressing people

use notepadd++ instead of Java for some easy web designs. Notepadd++ is one of the easiest program to code.
LakersDaBEst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #11
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

?

you have to use a CMS man

why not trying joomla
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:33 AM   #12
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
?

you have to use a CMS man

why not trying joomla
This
fiddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #13
sundizz
Local High School Star

sundizz has decent reputationsundizz has decent reputation

Well it depends what the website is for right?

I don't know (and don't care to learn html etc) but like to put ideas I have on a web page just for fun (my version of day dreaming).

If a person wants a site and doesn't need random traffic (e.g., web search traffic) then you could easily use something like Wix.com to create a great looking page.

For example, this is a site I created cuz I was bored and day dreaming.

http://suniloneal34.wix.com/busanburrito

Or better yet, you could use a site like Wix.com to create the website. Then use freelancer.com to outsource the work to a team in India, or wherever that can put it together for you cheaply.

For example, a mom and pop shop pays you $1,500 to develop a website for their customers. You think about the design, etc, design it in wix.com. Use freelancer.com and have it designed for $850. You made yourself a decent profit.
sundizz is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: