Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation
Default Damon Wayans -vs- Martin Lawrence: Who U Got?

Eddie Murphy ruled stand up in the 80s' or at least until he retired (1988) and Chris Rock after Bring the Pain, was now on top (1996.) But in between that time, these were the 2 brothers who were at the top of the stand-up comedy game in the early to mid 90s.

WAYANS
89 HBO One Night Stand
90 The Last Stand?
97 Still Standing
08 Way Out

LAWRENCE
91 HBO One Night Stand
94 You So Crazy
02 Runteldat!

Plus various appearances by both on such shows as An Evening at the Improv, Saturday Night Live (Wayans was a cast member in 86 and performed a 20 minute set and both hosted in 94 and 95; Lawrence was banned), MTV's Half-Hour Comedy Hour, Solid Gold and HBO's Robert Townsend's Partners 'N' Crime and Def Comedy Jam where Martin was the host the first three seasons.

And also, this rare clip of them both together on MTV in 1989. Yo! MTV Laffs

Little Known Fact: Martin auditioned for In Living Color
Tisha Campbell played both of there wives on TV series
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputation
Default Re: Damon Wayans -vs- Martin Lawrence: Who U Got?

That's tough.

Are we going by standup? Or just that time frame? Or entire body of work?

They both were great.

I mainly remember Martin for his show though and when he hosted def jam.

I also remember Damon mostly from living color. My wife and kids was good but not better than Martin.

Idk.. Just going off memory I would have to say Martin.

I didn't know he tried out for In living color. Martin had an issue with drugs back in the day too.
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Martin Lawrence
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Are you talking specifically about black comedians or all comedians? If you are talking about ruling stand up with all comedians I highly doubt Wayans or Lawrence should be there..?
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

stand up: damon
tv: martin
movies: damon

its hard because i love both dearly. stand up, damon wins easily imo. martin is more of a physical comedian, but damon had better material, and when he talked about a subject, he was more diverse.

when it comes to tv, ol marty mar wins unanimous. i know damon had in living color in which he and jim carrey where the best acts and his sitcom. but martin is my fav sitcom hands down. ol romey rome, shanaynay, dragonfly, you ain't no job tommy rofl... u don't know how much that show meant to me and the hood. fox was the shiet in the 90's.

as for movies, i still have to side with damon. martin may have more box office success, but damon had classics like major payne, blankman and mo money. my fav martin movies are a thin line between love and hate (love the scene when hes at the police station and his tires got took lol) and life. life is a top 20 movie for me and a all time classic. why the hell has martin and eddie not done any more movies? bad boys movies were alright, and the rest of martins movies were too.

fukk it, its a tie. damn u kizzle for making this thread.
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
Are you talking specifically about black comedians or all comedians? If you are talking about ruling stand up with all comedians I highly doubt Wayans or Lawrence should be there..?

GTFOH u australian weenie!
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
ReturnofJPR
Mirotic: Euro MVP '13

ReturnofJPR is popular on this boardReturnofJPR is popular on this boardReturnofJPR is popular on this boardReturnofJPR is popular on this boardReturnofJPR is popular on this board

it's martin!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tMGPoAq...%3DtMGPoAq-pSY

Best ever:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=pQbGDuwX120

Last edited by ReturnofJPR : 07-19-2013 at 09:17 PM.
ReturnofJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
Well, only Jerry Seinfield and maybe Tim Allen where bigger than Wayans and Martin, and only Jerry was considered greater than both at that time.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Sketch/Stand-Up Series:
In Living Color >> Def Comedy Jam

Sitcom:
Martin > My Wife and Kids

In the film department, Damon has/had more say-so behind the camera. Mo Money, Blankman and Major Payne are all Damon's babies, while Martin only had control over Thin Line Between Love and Hate.

They both were part of some terrible movies in the early 2000s. Marci X and Black Knight.

Damon should get bonus points for creating the cartoon "Waynehead."
Old 07-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Jimmy Dix >>>>>> "Big Momma."
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #11
G-Funk
Palm Trees & Gangsters

G-Funk has decent reputation

martin the show is way better than the wayans
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
martin the show is way better than the wayans
My Wife and Kids, most underrated sitcom from this past decade.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Martin Lawrence

/end thread
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Immortal Bum
Decent playground baller

Immortal Bum has not been impressing people

Martin and its not really close.
Immortal Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
Immortal Bum
Decent playground baller

Immortal Bum has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
My Wife and Kids, most underrated sitcom from this past decade.

the older daughter was fukin hot~!
Immortal Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: