Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Windows 8

The consensus is its a raging piece of shit, my new laptop is embedded with this junk and I agree with the reviews. The amount of crap and bloatware on here is insufferable.

To make my life easier I downloaded classic shell (http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/) which basically turns Windows 8 into something more similar to a classic windows OS (returns the start button to the bottom left corner and keeps you from ever having to visit that god-awful apps page).

Recently though I've noticed that some websites are offering Windows 8 apps. Has anyone tried these, are they worth pursuing? I am really not interested in turning my laptop into a smart phone, but should I be?

What are your thoughts on Windows 8?
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Windows 8

I click on the desktop tile and and its just like windows 7. I dont understand the outrage on the start not being on the lower left corner either.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
General
High School Varsity 12th Man

General is starting to rub some people the wrong wayGeneral is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I like it better than Windows 7. I think people just bash it because they don't like to learn something new.

A lot of the whiners will get their wish in a new update later this year. Windows 8.1 will allow you to boot straight to the desktop and there will be a start button but it will lead you to the same modern start menu that's there now.
General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
I click on the desktop tile and and its just like windows 7. I dont understand the outrage on the start not being on the lower left corner either.

hot corners (very annoying if using remote PC), not being able to log in directly to desktop and start button was way more organized than the metro mess imo. It just seems like if they had made those features optional, ie let users turn them on or off on desktop PCs it would have saved a lot of grief for everyone. I installed start8 on my Machine and it's fine. I just wish MS had the foresight to have included those simple options in the first place.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

its fine, the complaints are just from people who will find a way to hate anything
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Not exactly, if you use your PC for work it is a massive pain in the ass and a security concern that you can't close Word, Excel etc. files.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
Not exactly, if you use your PC for work it is a massive pain in the ass and a security concern that you can't close Word, Excel etc. files.

did you just make this up ?

i have the same MS office installed that I had on my Windows 7, it works exactly the same

even if you were talking about Windows RT, im pretty sure youd be wrong.
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
supersmashbros
Good college starter

supersmashbros is considered somewhat coolsupersmashbros is considered somewhat cool

Windows 8 is really cool. Except it doesn't allow me to customize my computer as much as previous versions of Windows. I partition it for example.
supersmashbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:35 AM   #9
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's the best performing Windows version with current gen hardware.

Out of the box, it's garbage. But once you tweak it to your liking(agreed on Classic Shell, I've been using it on my windows boxes since it came out), it feels like 7. Note: This is coming from someone who avoids using windows if and when possible. Linux >> *
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

i tried it, and it was a lot snappier than my windows 7. don't like the tiles either but it seems like a more fluid experience. ill be getting windows 8.1 for sure tho which is a compromise for us 7 users.
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
StocktonFan
Banned

StocktonFan has an OK reputation so far

People who dislike windows 8 only because of the tiles are stupid as ****, and it annoys me. Newsflash to OP, the reason why that laptop was cheaper was because of the thirdparty bloatware. What is your laptop locked or something? Can you not remove these apps? Do you have to root your laptop now? Why are you making something that takes 10min max a big deal... And wtf are you talking about with programs running in the background? Nothing runs in the background, check your new and improved task manager... other good features include startup and memory usage being lot more efficient.

Hell windows now comes with a ISO burner....

Last edited by StocktonFan : 07-20-2013 at 06:12 AM.
StocktonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

I love my Windows 8 machine. It's easily the best OS Microsoft has ever made.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
eurobum
High School Varsity 12th Man

eurobum has no real reputation yet.

Tried Windows 8. Seems the target demographic is 8 year-olds. LOL at people not being critical at all and just accepting what's put on their plate. Sheep mentality.
eurobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobum
Tried Windows 8. Seems the target demographic is 8 year-olds. LOL at people not being critical at all and just accepting what's put on their plate. Sheep mentality.

I know, but this is ISH and most people jsut come here to work off a little contrarian steam.

Not being able to close files like word, acrobat, excel and having their thumbnails pop up every time you scroll to the top left corner is annoying and a bit reckless, why the f*ck can't we just close them why no 'x' in the top right corner?

Most people on here are kids who probably like the features and have no need for office files, but if you actually do work on your laptop and want to open multiple word or excel files at the same time, lol, have fun with that, and the pop up ads are insufferable.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Pinkhearts
Local High School Star

Pinkhearts is considered somewhat coolPinkhearts is considered somewhat coolPinkhearts is considered somewhat cool

I was very annoyed and frustrated at first. No start button..how do I find my programs/control panel/whatever or even open a new window to search for stuff?

But as I got used to it, I like it more and more. It's really faster and smoother.

Still have no idea how to open a new window (2 instances of program files folder) tho
Pinkhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: