Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #31
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Scarface/Tony Montana and Black People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta

You've got to be kidding me - that was clear as day. Not everything has to be spelled out in big letters for it to be clear.

It's an assumption that is an attractive conclusion based on how adamantly Gina states it in her coked-up rage, but there is nothing that prevents the alternative (overprotective possessiveness) from being just as true.

One of the fun ambiguous features of the film that keeps fans talking about the movie.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #32
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
[/b]

You've got to be kidding me - that was clear as day. Not everything has to be spelled out in big letters for it to be clear.

It was never made clear.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #33
Cherry Picker
I shoot 85 %

Cherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
Black people dont like mayo right? Why not, how the **** can you eat a BLT sandwich without mayo? mayo is ****ing delicious. Combine Mayo and ketchup you have fry sauce.

People looking down on white people for liking Mayo is just as ridiculous as looking down on black people for the stereotype of liking fried chicken and watermelon.

Fried Chicken is delicious 99% of the time. You give me left over cold fried chicken and i still love it. Watermelon is the most refreshing of all fruit. On a hot sunny day nothing beats watermelon.

I have never understood the negative connotations attached to mayo, fried chicken and watermelon. All 3 are delicious. If it weren't for how unhealthy mayo and fried chicken are I would eat them almost everyday. But i eat fried chicken at a minimum of once a month. I cannot eat a sandwich without mayo, it just feels wrong to me. Ketchup+mayo >>>>>> ketchup alone for a fry dipping sauce.

And now that I think of it I am going to go buy a watermelon tomorrow. Love them.

Edit: white people like scarface too, its a good movie.
I like Mayo
Mayo in a chicken steak burger with cheese and hash brown lawd ah mercy
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #34
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I have never understood the negative connotations attached to mayo,

My guess is because the food itself is white? It is sort of being covertly racist while being directly racist. You get two racists in one package!

I think mayo is an acquired taste, I don't particularly like it, but I never really ate much of it when I was growing up. Pretty much like any other weird culture specific foods. It is easy to turn your nose up to "weird" foods. But most other foods don't have that double connotation. Mayo is weird AND white.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #35
Graviton
Cavs fan since 1970

Graviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Mayo is the shit, I cant eat any meat without mayo. Beef, pork, chicken breast is all better with smooth mayo. Lamb is the only thing that needs no sauce.

One time I mixed mayo, ketchup, mustard and ranch together and got an amazing sauce that goes with everything. You guys should try it, it turns into a dark yellow spicy smooth sour sweet deliciousness.

Scarface sucked, Pacino's goofiest role. And Denzel in Training Day and Man on Fire is in fact my favorite character as far as black actors go. On white side I like Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge and from Latinos the guy from No Country For Old Men. I never understood the admiration for those gangster types in Godfather, Scarface, Goodfellas and such.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #36
DukeDelonte13

DukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I used to love Scarface...still do

Why? Because its a really good movie...Pacinos best role IMO

Never had a Scraface movie poster hanging on my wall or anything, but do like the movie

Mike Corleone is Pacino's best role.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

TheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$H
Denzel in traning day should replace Tony Montana for black people. Young Italians should become Tony Montana stans.
I know Al Pacino is Italian but isn't the character Tony Montana a Cuban
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #38
MavsSuperFan

MavsSuperFan has a near all-star reputation hereMavsSuperFan has a near all-star reputation hereMavsSuperFan has a near all-star reputation hereMavsSuperFan has a near all-star reputation hereMavsSuperFan has a near all-star reputation hereMavsSuperFan has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
It's an assumption that is an attractive conclusion based on how adamantly Gina states it in her coked-up rage, but there is nothing that prevents the alternative (overprotective possessiveness) from being just as true.

One of the fun ambiguous features of the film that keeps fans talking about the movie.

Its pretty clear what the director/screenwriter want the audience to infer. It is a movie after all.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #39
HarryCallahan
Banned

HarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
Mike Corleone is Pacino's best role.

pffft. It was playing himself in Jack and Jill.

Scarface is awesome, just because you don't like it as much as others doesn't make it a cartoon film.
HarryCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #40
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

Its pretty clear what the director/screenwriter want the audience to infer. It is a movie after all.

"Pretty clear" is a matter of opinionated assumption. We could go back and forth about this all day and neither one of us would be right, because the script left it open-ended and mysterious for a reason. The same reason why the contents of the briefcase in 'Pulp Fiction' are never revealed and have people discussing it.

I personally don't think Tony Montana was incestuous with his sister, because he's a guy who took what he wanted. Elvira was one of his motivations to get Frank out of the way, and when he did he went after her hard. Whenever he beat up the guy in the club restroom or killed Manny, his attitude towards Gina was basically, "Go clean yourself up, stop being a whore".

He seemed like a dude who just wanted his little sister to remain an angel. I don't think there was anything sexual there, or he would have made a stronger attempt.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #41
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

he was just an overly protective brother. Manny was a known man whore and he didn't want his sister to end up as one of Manny's conquests. if his sister and manny had come to Tony ahead of time and explained that they were actually in love i doubt Tony would have reacted the way he did.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #42
Shade8780
Hollywood Shade

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Black people dont like mayo right? Why not, how the **** can you eat a BLT sandwich without mayo? mayo is ****ing delicious. Combine Mayo and ketchup you have fry sauce.

People looking down on white people for liking Mayo is just as ridiculous as looking down on black people for the stereotype of liking fried chicken and watermelon.

Fried Chicken is delicious 99% of the time. You give me left over cold fried chicken and i still love it. Watermelon is the most refreshing of all fruit. On a hot sunny day nothing beats watermelon.

I have never understood the negative connotations attached to mayo, fried chicken and watermelon. All 3 are delicious. If it weren't for how unhealthy mayo and fried chicken are I would eat them almost everyday. But i eat fried chicken at a minimum of once a month. I cannot eat a sandwich without mayo, it just feels wrong to me. Ketchup+mayo >>>>>> ketchup alone for a fry dipping sauce.

And now that I think of it I am going to go buy a watermelon tomorrow. Love them.

Edit: white people like scarface too, its a good movie.
Honeydew melon >>> Watermelon
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #43
Dresta
BANNED!!!!

Dresta posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDresta posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:

Exactly.

Self-delusional people just don't want to believe it so they can keep idolising Montana.

So funny.
Dresta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #44
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Exactly.

Self-delusional people just don't want to believe it so they can keep idolising Montana.

So funny.

"Pretty clear" and "it is a movie after all".

Wow, I'm convinced. Strong arguments there.

I don't idolize Montana, btw. I'm just analyzing the script.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #45
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
he was just an overly protective brother. Manny was a known man whore and he didn't want his sister to end up as one of Manny's conquests. if his sister and manny had come to Tony ahead of time and explained that they were actually in love i doubt Tony would have reacted the way he did.

Spot-on.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: