Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-22-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
tgan3
Local High School Star

tgan3 has an OK reputation so far
Default Have you guys ever played with such a good basketball player in your team that...

You don't even dare to shoot?

I swear this 5'10 guy in my court can beat any NBA player if the NBA players were shrink-ed to his height.

His shooting is just amazing, its like 80-90% of the time going in even fading away with defenders all over him.

His dribbles are tight, nothing flashy but very solid, he never does does dribbles like AND1 professor. His dribbles are strong and are really built to break down defenders. Not flashy on-the-spot weak dribbles, but one-two power dribbles and he'll blow by you.

He drives pass anybody AT WILL, excellent footwork and athleticism. And he makes his layups (Whether is it the left or right hand it don't matter). Or he'll back you up then do the Kobe fadeaway.

Offensively he is the whole package. He has the Jordan cockiness and he f-ked u up if u're in his team and miss a layup or create a turnover.

Im a 80++ % Free Throw shooter, but streaky. Im telling you, I don't even dare take a shot when playing with him in my team. You will feel like a super scrub playing with him in your team.

I've never seen him had a bad game before. He NEVER airballs no matter how crazy his shot. Either its Nothing-But-Net or it hits the inner rim and bounces out. Playing with him on my team, when he goes for the layup or shoot, many times I wished he will miss just to reassure myself his human and to prevent myself from looking like an idiot in basketball.

Last edited by tgan3 : 07-22-2013 at 03:26 AM.
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
2swift4u
High School Varsity 6th Man

2swift4u has decent reputation2swift4u has decent reputation
Default Re: Have you guys ever played with such a good basketball player in your team that...

I've never really been in that exact same situation before but once a 6'5 guy showed up who used to play in the highest league in our country and this dude was shooting 3s and fade-aways like crazy. He also had very good handles for his size and didn't even bother to post up (which would have been easy for him, because he was way taller than anybody else). I think he only missed one shot and one dunk. everything else was nothing but net and the game was over within a couple of minutes!
But it wasn't like anybody else wouldn't dare to shoot or so.. But since he made almost all of his shots there were not many opportunities for the rest of us to shoot the ball

But I know what you're talking about. When I play with very good players I sometimes tend to get hesitant too.

Last edited by 2swift4u : 07-22-2013 at 08:19 AM.
2swift4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Cherry Picker
I shoot 85 %

Cherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Have you guys ever played with such a good basketball player in your team that...

Nope
Then again I don't really play that competitively
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has a near all-star reputation hereJellyBean has a near all-star reputation hereJellyBean has a near all-star reputation hereJellyBean has a near all-star reputation hereJellyBean has a near all-star reputation hereJellyBean has a near all-star reputation here

Oh yeah. I know what you mean. I remember one time playing on a team that had a dude (6'6" and tipped the scales at 210) that played college ball and overseas. He had tried out for a few NBA teams but didn't make the cut, so I was already in awe. The dude would pass me the ball and I would pass it right back. Not even thinking about shooting. He was cool about letting us "average" players take shots. But I never took a shot that whole game. He would yell "take the shot!" But I didn't even look to score at all.

I wish that I had Kobe's confidence. Man!!!
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
FreezingTsmoove
#H3AT nation,GangGreen

FreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryFreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Does playing with yourself count?
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #6
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

In College I was on a team that won 3 Intramural Championships in a row. It wasn't crazy level competition but the team we beat in the Finals each time had half the College team on it (which wasn't supposed to be allowed).

Anyways, we had two guys that also had played D1 hoops on our team, and they were awesome. Unbelievable end to end court speed, and both guys could slam the ball and hit jumpers. I came off the bench and played maybe half the game, but all I focused on was defense and rebounding. The whole team just fed these guys the ball, because honestly, they were head and shoulders above the rest of us.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak is considered somewhat coolILLsmak is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgan3
You don't even dare to shoot?

I swear this 5'10 guy in my court can beat any NBA player if the NBA players were shrink-ed to his height.

His shooting is just amazing, its like 80-90% of the time going in even fading away with defenders all over him.

His dribbles are tight, nothing flashy but very solid, he never does does dribbles like AND1 professor. His dribbles are strong and are really built to break down defenders. Not flashy on-the-spot weak dribbles, but one-two power dribbles and he'll blow by you.

He drives pass anybody AT WILL, excellent footwork and athleticism. And he makes his layups (Whether is it the left or right hand it don't matter). Or he'll back you up then do the Kobe fadeaway.

Offensively he is the whole package. He has the Jordan cockiness and he f-ked u up if u're in his team and miss a layup or create a turnover.

Im a 80++ % Free Throw shooter, but streaky. Im telling you, I don't even dare take a shot when playing with him in my team. You will feel like a super scrub playing with him in your team.

I've never seen him had a bad game before. He NEVER airballs no matter how crazy his shot. Either its Nothing-But-Net or it hits the inner rim and bounces out. Playing with him on my team, when he goes for the layup or shoot, many times I wished he will miss just to reassure myself his human and to prevent myself from looking like an idiot in basketball.

Nah, I don't care about shooting anyway, but if I had the shot, I'm taking it.

I've played with a lot of different players, despite never playing on a team for long. I've seen some really short guys that I was sure were capable of playing at the NBA level if they were taller. haha. I mean, I'm short, but they were shorter than me, but it was just like o Jesus.

Mainly, though, even though ya boy was making every shot, I think it takes a little more to be the best. While not the most talented player I ever played with, one of my teachers in HS was in his mid-20s at the time. He was a PG, 5'11 maybe, but he was just one of those people who knew the game. It was like, he was as good as you were, if that makes sense. He could support anyone in anything they did, as a PG should, but he wasn't the type of dude who could drop 50.

Frankly, people who take bad shots, even if they're making them, annoy me. If they were on my team, I'd feed them the ball, tho, I'm not a hater, but I think for someone to be a great bball player, they'd have to put you in a position where you'd HAVE to shoot it. And if you didn't shoot it in that instance (if that's what you're talking about) then you can be sure you made dude mad and disappointed, way more than he would have been had you missed.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
mugiwara
High School Starter

mugiwara is a pretty well-respected postermugiwara is a pretty well-respected postermugiwara is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak

Frankly, people who take bad shots, even if they're making them, annoy me. If they were on my team, I'd feed them the ball, tho, I'm not a hater, but I think for someone to be a great bball player, they'd have to put you in a position where you'd HAVE to shoot it. And if you didn't shoot it in that instance (if that's what you're talking about) then you can be sure you made dude mad and disappointed, way more than he would have been had you missed.

-Smak
Playing the right way is so beautiful. when people shoot it and everyone on the teams like "no, no, no.... Yes!!" I'm still thinking no haha
mugiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
tgan3
Local High School Star

tgan3 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugiwara
Playing the right way is so beautiful. when people shoot it and everyone on the teams like "no, no, no.... Yes!!" I'm still thinking no haha

He's not taking bad shots. When i mean "crazy shots" its shots like him pulling off the dribble, or shooting off on the fadeaway etc...He makes a very high percentage of it, others only can catch and shoot, but he can shoot, and he has that swagger, the shot is not like a desperation throw up shot...its more like a Kobe fadeaway with a defender on him...yet you know Kobe makes it all the time...
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

These days? Nah. If someone is playing pickup ball where I play then they didn't make it There have been some dudes who can score like it's nobodies business who I've played with, but they aren't complete players... there have also been tall ass dudes with game who dominate as well. Hey if I am open though or have a good opp to score, I will let it fly.

When I was younger I was way more self conscious... but you get more comfortable as you get older if you play a good amount.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I played on a rec. league team back in '08-ish with a guy I'd known for years. Prior to joining up, I used to run into him at the gym during high school games or practices and I'd ask him how his league was going. He'd then say something nonchalant like, "Aw you know, I hit 'em up for 54 two weeks ago." He's one of the best players I've known in my life and he was usually trustworthy, but the stories of his big nights seemed to be a little much.

Anyway, I joined his team one year and prior to our first matchup, a college-aged dude with frosted tips from the other team stepped up to my boy, insinuating he was going to guard him. He then inexplicably said, "Defense is my specialty." My dude dropped a steady 49. It was obvious he wasn't making anything up after all. He played most of that game like an effective Wizards Jordan. Simple maneuvers mastered, excellent use of the pump fake, outstanding mid-range. He had his defender jumping and over-committing all over the place.

That said, he was a great player and our best option every time down the floor, but I admit he was tough to play for in that league. Not to put down Kobe Bryant, but throughout the league I remember thinking, "So this is probably what Kobe's teammates go through." On one hand, Kobe was always his team's best option in the mid 2000's (post-Shaq) just like the dude on my team was no doubt the best option. However, my teammate's domination of the ball made me really complacent offensively, with no semblance of a groove to be found (one touch every five minutes wasn't cutting it).

I actually ended up doubting myself a bit during that span. I'd put up some good numbers in my previous league, but it wasn't a top-of-the-line league like this one. While playing with that guy, I got to thinking, "Maybe I just suck against real competition". I was scoring 8 or so points a game. The moment that dude went down with a shoulder injury though, my numbers spiked right back up to normal. I love him, but the way he played in league games, even if personally effective, did not do wonders for his teammates.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

^^^ Ha yup. You want to play with Kobe like dudes, you have to be like Kawhi Leonard: smooth and cool like the other side of the pillow. Otherwise yea you are just like Jesus this guy is good but it's like retarding my play ha. That is why Lebron IMO is better than guys like Kobe and Jordan now that he has totally taken responsibility in crunch time. To get teammates to play with confidence rather than out of fear is a healthier approach... Not every guy has the balls of Derek Fisher or the craziness of Robert Horry or Ron Artest to take shots that Kobe would kill you if you were anyone else and not make it.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 07-24-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

I hate when people pass the ball back after I make a play or get them open.

It's like I just spent effort to get you open and you reset the offense because you don't do anything with the ball.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
scm5
Decent college freshman

scm5 has an OK reputation so far

Just play if it's pickup. It's not all that serious.

I've played with a few pros (overseas) and while they're amazing and can get buckets easily, they get mad if players don't take the shots they're given. Just don't miss layups!
scm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

inclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

just kick his ass if he gets up in ur face
inclinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: