Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
StocktonFan
Banned
 
StocktonFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 782
Default Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZWD75G_VpI
StocktonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,933
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

It isn't that the religion can't be used for peace (there are plenty of peaceful secular western Muslims), it is that they are trying to use it for politics. No religion, no matter how peaceful, should ever be the basis of government simply because there is no self-correcting mechanism. I agree it won't end well for these people. Not because it is or isn't a religion of peace, but because it has become an ideology. Christianity in Ireland didn't fare much better...
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
MadeFromDust
i take yo azz 2da hole
 
MadeFromDust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I come from a dusty place.
Posts: 2,639
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

"I say to the Christians...You are our neighbors. We will set you on fire."

Wow! This foolish woman must have heard about "Love thy neighbor as thyself" and decided to reject it wholeheartedly. Some people just can't help but oppose themselves. Oh well that's their religion for you.
MadeFromDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
StocktonFan
Banned
 
StocktonFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 782
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeFromDust
"I say to the Christians...You are our neighbors. We will set you on fire."

Wow! This foolish woman must have heard about "Love thy neighbor as thyself" and decided to reject it wholeheartedly. Some people just can't help but oppose themselves. Oh well that's their religion for you.

Glad you bumped this... i was browsing more of their videos and came across an even more disturbing video. You have to watch the entire thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSxkori-tPw

Religion of peace
StocktonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
StocktonFan
Banned
 
StocktonFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 782
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

btt
StocktonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
Patrick Chewing
GO NY GO NY GO!
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,565
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

If Egypt is separating Mosque from State so to say, then I am all for it.



On another note, burqas and hijabs are stupid and must be outlawed worldwide. The more skin, the better.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
D-Rose
Da Mavs
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,155
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
If Egypt is separating Mosque from State so to say, then I am all for it.



On another note, burqas and hijabs are stupid and must be outlawed worldwide. The more skin, the better.
Unfortunately, that's not what's happening. A military dictatorship is in place and you can kiss democracy goodbye for decades to come.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: goodbyecruelworld
Posts: 18,994
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

Quote:
If Egypt is separating Mosque from State so to say, then I am all for it.
it's not separating religion and state, its conjoining military and state.... which is about 100x more dangerous. or to be more accurate, its maintaining a link thats been defining egyptian politics for over 50 years.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Nick Young
Arbiter of Coexistence
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Thank you Based Mamba
Posts: 27,746
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

This country is going to hell, who would have thought that Mubarak was actually good for the country :
Nick Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 25,075
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

You act as if a Country governed by devout Christians or Catholics would be any better. Every heard of the Crusades?
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #11
Nick Young
Arbiter of Coexistence
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Thank you Based Mamba
Posts: 27,746
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
You act as if a Country governed by devout Christians or Catholics would be any better. Every heard of the Crusades?
Well there are many countries governed by devout christians and catholics, where people like this don't exist on such a large scale.

It's not like these psychos in the interview are a tiny majority.

Do you realize that the crusades happened like 1000 years ago?

I don't even hate Islam but if you want to go back thousands of years what about all the massacres Mohammad was responsible for and religious sites he burned down while he was forcibly spreading Islam in Arabia?
Nick Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
Patrick Chewing
GO NY GO NY GO!
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,565
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
You act as if a Country governed by devout Christians or Catholics would be any better. Every heard of the Crusades?


Yes, we have. And that was 1000 years ago.



And even so, the Crusades were spawned due to Islamic expansion through sacking of Christian cities.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #13
tomtucker
NBA All-star
 
tomtucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,422
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by StocktonFan

same shit with these camelfukkers over and over again..........get rid of muslims and itīs partytime
tomtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 AM   #14
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 25,075
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Well there are many countries governed by devout christians and catholics, where people like this don't exist on such a large scale.

It's not like these psychos in the interview are a tiny majority.

Do you realize that the crusades happened like 1000 years ago?

I don't even hate Islam but if you want to go back thousands of years what about all the massacres Mohammad was responsible for and religious sites he burned down while he was forcibly spreading Islam in Arabia?


I wasn't trying to argue Catholic/Christian vs. Muslim. I was just pointing out the flaws of allowing ANY devout religious group to control a nation without checks and balances. The main problem in Egypt isn't necessarily that a Muslim leadership was elected, but that the constitution and parliament were simultaneously dissolved.

Dissolve the American Constitution and Congress, and put a devout Christian in charge of the United States... and see how many days (more like hours) the nation survives without protest and riots.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #15
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16,358
Default Re: Religion of peace... Egypt's headed in a good direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
I wasn't trying to argue Catholic/Christian vs. Muslim. I was just pointing out the flaws of allowing ANY devout religious group to control a nation without checks and balances. The main problem in Egypt isn't necessarily that a Muslim leadership was elected, but that the constitution and parliament were simultaneously dissolved.

Dissolve the American Constitution and Congress, and put a devout Christian in charge of the United States... and see how many days (more like hours) the nation survives without protest and riots.

In Europe at least, I don't know how many countries would ever vote for an oppressively religious political group. Even without "checks and balances", it's simply not going to happen.

There is a fundamentalist Christian political party in the Netherlands and they receive roughly 2% of the popular vote every election. Most stable constituency in the nation.

In Egypt 60% of the voters voted for what we would consider extreme fundamentalists. The reason for that is simply because most of the Egyptian population consists of what we consider extreme fundamentalists.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy