Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
jazz873
College star
 
jazz873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,791
jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation
Default For those who love the passer rating stat

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...gers-matt-ryan

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...peyton-manning

Interesting read if you ask me. Looks like it was put together to prove a case for Romo but it also shows more than just that.

Last edited by jazz873 : 07-23-2013 at 05:12 PM.
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 7,705
Carbine has decent reputation
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

QB rating is just a tool - it's flawed, much like every stat.

Andrew Luck had a 76.5 QB Rating, which would lead everyone to believe he didn't have a very effective year at all - but anyone who knows a lick about football and watched the Colts play a lot knows he dramatically out-performed that 76.5 rating.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 15,000
-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
QB rating is just a tool - it's flawed, much like every stat.

Andrew Luck had a 76.5 QB Rating, which would lead everyone to believe he didn't have a very effective year at all - but anyone who knows a lick about football and watched the Colts play a lot knows he dramatically out-performed that 76.5 rating.
"dramatically"?..how is that because the team won some games?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...rceptions-2012

^^^ Luck led the NFL in adjusted INTs...had more passes bounce off defender's chest than any other QB

I would say his rating is pretty spot on with his performance
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 15,000
-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

so Romo has the 2nd highest % of 100+ rating games under only Rodgers? I'm not surprised at all


and wow the Cowboys lost a game where Romo's rating was 141.3 against the Giants

that's insane
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 7,705
Carbine has decent reputation
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

And you would say that because you're ignorant on the subject of the Colts & Luck.

You proved the point. Thanks.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 15,000
-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
And you would say that because you're ignorant on the subject of the Colts & Luck.

You proved the point. Thanks.
What do think a more accurate number is for Luck? 85? 95?

Like I showed you in that link, he was shown the most good "Luck" in the entire NFL when it came to defenders dropping would be INTs

You're falling victim to "games won = awesome QB" disease
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
jazz873
College star
 
jazz873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,791
jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

If i had to guess Luck's passer rating it would be in the neighborhood of 80. This is knowing that 66.7 is average
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 7,705
Carbine has decent reputation
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

I'm not falling victim to anything. I'm saying this strictly from how individually good he was. It's hard to ignore those seven game winning drives. He played the QB position for the Colts much better than a level of play associated with a 76.5 QB Rating.

I don't know about 66.7 being average either. That seems awfully low for being average. I believe every starting QB had a QB rating above 66.7 - so how could 66.7 be "average"
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona
 
Hoodlum Science's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ℑoshua ζives
Posts: 749
Hoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

PT - you do make your point when it comes to Romo's passer rating, but that's where the buck stops. Outside of stats, he's nothing and has produced absolutely nothing. A QB's success is rated and measured by wins; most notably playoff wins, conference titles and the big one - all of which Romo is absent with the exception of a surprisingly impressive win over the Eagles (105 passer rating).

The surreal realization of it all is finding a quarterback who can produce consistently in the regular season, but much more importantly produce consistently in the post season. When it comes to QBs in the NFL, it's a do-or-die, dog-eat-dog, sorry charlie if you can't have your cake (win in the regular season) and eat it too (win in the playoffs). Romo has his cake, he just can't seem to eat the damn thing.

He's a choke artist. Plain and simple.
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 7,705
Carbine has decent reputation
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
PT - you do make your point when it comes to Romo's passer rating, but that's where the buck stops. Outside of stats, he's nothing and has produced absolutely nothing. A QB's success is rated and measured by wins; most notably playoff wins, conference titles and the big one - all of which Romo is absent with the exception of a surprisingly impressive win over the Eagles (105 passer rating).

The surreal realization of it all is finding a quarterback who can produce consistently in the regular season, but much more importantly produce consistently in the post season. When it comes to QBs in the NFL, it's a do-or-die, dog-eat-dog, sorry charlie if you can't have your cake (win in the regular season) and eat it too (win in the playoffs). Romo has his cake, he just can't seem to eat the damn thing.

He's a choke artist. Plain and simple.

Don't buy the hype of that stuff. It's incredibly stupid.

Just because it's regularly accepted as the measuring stick doesn't make it right. All it means is people are:

1) Dumb
2) Too lazy to research and apply logic.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona
 
Hoodlum Science's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ℑoshua ζives
Posts: 749
Hoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Don't buy the hype of that stuff. It's incredibly stupid.

Just because it's regularly accepted as the measuring stick doesn't make it right. All it means is people are:

1) Dumb
2) Too lazy to research and apply logic.

Wait, so what are you saying exactly? What's the missing piece to the puzzle you're referring to? Based on your comment, you're undermining the importance of post season wins in comparison to regular season wins/stats. What am I missing here, that makes my comment "dumb" or "too lazy to research and apply logic?" ...

I'm highly curious.

Charles Barkley never won a title ... and he'll never be considered one of the greatest of all time. Is that rightfully so, or is there something missing? Are you devaluing the overall value of championships in any said sport?
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
jazz873
College star
 
jazz873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,791
jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
Wait, so what are you saying exactly? What's the missing piece to the puzzle you're referring to? Based on your comment, you're undermining the importance of post season wins in comparison to regular season wins/stats. What am I missing here, that makes my comment "dumb" or "too lazy to research and apply logic?" ...

I'm highly curious.

Charles Barkley never won a title ... and he'll never be considered one of the greatest of all time. Is that rightfully so, or is there something missing? Are you devaluing the overall value of championships in any said sport?
The value of individual championships is less significant in the NFL than the NBA.
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 7,705
Carbine has decent reputation
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

I'm saying you should be judged upon how you play way more than superbowls.

I value playing well in big games - the bigger the game, the more weight it holds. I also value regular season games, they matter too, quite a bit....since their are only 16 of them and only 6 teams from each conference make it.

However, I've seen way too many quarterbacks play well and lose a big game/playoff game.....and play below average and win. Yet somehow playing well and losing is worse than playing bad and winning.

Peyton Manning played two of his worst playoff games ever to start our superbowl run in 2006.... but the team picked up the slack. He's a champion because of it....just like Brady is a champion because he has great teams around him. He was a worse player while winning....then he was asked to do more and more and got better.....and they haven't won a title since.

All you can do it your part. Can't make your WR catch the ball....can't play special teams....can't coach.....can't play defense.....can't block....etc.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #14
jazz873
College star
 
jazz873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,791
jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I'm saying you should be judged upon how you play way more than superbowls.

I value playing well in big games - the bigger the game, the more weight it holds. I also value regular season games, they matter too, quite a bit....since their are only 16 of them and only 6 teams from each conference make it.

However, I've seen way too many quarterbacks play well and lose a big game/playoff game.....and play below average and win. Yet somehow playing well and losing is worse than playing bad and winning.

Peyton Manning played two of his worst playoff games ever to start our superbowl run in 2006.... but the team picked up the slack. He's a champion because of it....just like Brady is a champion because he has great teams around him. He was a worse player while winning....then he was asked to do more and more and got better.....and they haven't won a title since.

All you can do it your part. Can't make your WR catch the ball....can't play special teams....can't coach.....can't play defense.....can't block....etc.
Quality post
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 29,867
niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: For those who love the passer rating stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I'm saying you should be judged upon how you play way more than superbowls.

I value playing well in big games - the bigger the game, the more weight it holds. I also value regular season games, they matter too, quite a bit....since their are only 16 of them and only 6 teams from each conference make it.

However, I've seen way too many quarterbacks play well and lose a big game/playoff game.....and play below average and win. Yet somehow playing well and losing is worse than playing bad and winning.

Peyton Manning played two of his worst playoff games ever to start our superbowl run in 2006.... but the team picked up the slack. He's a champion because of it....just like Brady is a champion because he has great teams around him. He was a worse player while winning....then he was asked to do more and more and got better.....and they haven't won a title since.

All you can do it your part. Can't make your WR catch the ball....can't play special teams....can't coach.....can't play defense.....can't block....etc.

Peyton wins a ridiculous pct of the times he steps on the field. Generally he wins 10-12 games, and makes the playoffs, EVERY year. Peyton isn't just about stats, he wins ALL the time. ALL the time.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy