Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
Kaspah
We hoopin?

Kaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default When the other team plays zone

That ish drives me craaaaaaazy

Zone is no fun for anyone. Offense slows down to swinging and drive n kick while the defenders stay home playing zone. It's fcking slow and lame.

I cannot stand little fckin homos who come play zone. It's super rare, happens like once a month. First thing I say is, "u know zones for pus$ies, right?".

Street ball is just for fun, why you gotta be a fakkit n play zone? I can respect it in real basketball leagues like alright you're gonna do what you're gonna do. But street ball isn't that serious doe.
Kaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: When the other team plays zone

I think most people play zone in pickup games. When people aren't used to playing zone they usually leave some holes though. I like to drive and dish because it almost always is there
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

i hate it when teams do that in pickup. i was once on a team that wanted to do that, insisted actually, so i said fcuk yall and waited for the next run. It's embarrassing to be that team.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
TonyMontana
Local High School Star

TonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputation

I always do it if Im playing with my buddies and we're all on the same page. I'll do man if I got randoms just to fit in.

Zone is too good in pickup. It's rare that there are lights out shooters on an outdoor court. Just pack the paint and dont let layups/fast break points. Easy wins and Ill tell you what is fun. Winning.
TonyMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #5
Pushxx
Pushxx

Pushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I love facing zone.I tear that shit up.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
scm5
Good college starter

scm5 has decent reputation

I usually play man in pickups, but sometimes if I go with my league team, we play zone for practice. It's effective as hell as long as everyone knows what they're doing.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
I think most people play zone in pickup games. When people aren't used to playing zone they usually leave some holes though. I like to drive and dish because it almost always is there
I think this is definitely a regional thing (amongst other influences such as age and ability). Up until a few months ago, I figured it to be an absolute rarity for street teams to run zones but I've chatted with a few folks and discovered there's some spots out there where man-to-man is actually the rarity.

That said, in all my streetball experiences, a zone defense comes about once every one hundred games, if that. When it does pop up, it's usually a pretty weird experience. Often, it's a sign of defeat before the game even starts because the opponent acknowledges they cannot match up. Those games usually get ugly quickly.

Other times, it results in a terrible, terrible foul fest where all defenders camp and hack, at which point the offense must decide whether they want to take their chances at shooting an endless stream of open outdoor three pointers into the wind or just continue checking the ball up over and over again after every foul. It becomes a challenge of who's more stubborn.

One way or another, I'll take street man-to-man over street zone any day of the week (both playing against or playing with). Playing against an organized and active zone defense while playing for a real team or league is one thing. Running into a standstill zone at the park that your two low end teammates fail to understand how to attack is another.

Streetball zones are not as bad as when I'd coach against 7th grade girls B Teams who'd pack the paint with a collapsed 2-3 (pro tip: low level 7th grade girls basketball players can't make a shot outside of four feet), but sometimes it can be close.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
Scal

I don't believe I've ever seen a zone played down at the park - only in organized rec league ball where it is the norm and every team effectively plays a 2-3 zone (the team I am playing with is the only team that will play occasional man-on-man D or a full court press).

Can't imagine it happening at the park, though the paint gets packed anyway (quarter court and poor spacing) so anyone that can sink a 15 footer is an offensive weapon where I play.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
mr beast
BEAST

mr beast has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspah
That ish drives me craaaaaaazy

Zone is no fun for anyone. Offense slows down to swinging and drive n kick while the defenders stay home playing zone. It's fcking slow and lame.

I cannot stand little fckin homos who come play zone. It's super rare, happens like once a month. First thing I say is, "u know zones for pus$ies, right?".

Street ball is just for fun, why you gotta be a fakkit n play zone? I can respect it in real basketball leagues like alright you're gonna do what you're gonna do. But street ball isn't that serious doe.

zones during pick up games are the easiest to break, if you are having trouble against zone during pick up game then either your team sucks and have 0 ball movement or you are not beating the zone by making the right plays

i agree with your point that playing zone during street ball is pointless but on the account that when you just put a random 5 together and expect them to rotate and shift cover the zone defense, most of the time you are just asking for trouble if you face a legit team
mr beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
solar.hands
not a sig

solar.hands has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushxx
I love facing zone.I tear that shit up.
any tips?
i got above arevage perimeter shooting, usually from the corner and wings, i cant dribble but when the defender tries to close in i always tend to fake my shot and attack the rim so i always get stripped, handchecking is allowed here though.
i also wanted to shoot over the big guys.

any help from you guys would be much appreciated.
solar.hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:11 AM   #11
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

I strive when the other team plays zone because of my deadly outside shooting. Unfortunately, whoever is "PG" on my team is normally a dumbass and doesn't know how to kick it out when the defense collapses and I'm left wide open.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just keep practicing your midrange and outside shooting. It's very hard to attack a zone defense. That's why your team needs a good ball movement.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
Levity
Dale, you giblet head!

Levity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation here

people play zone in pick up games???

i never see that. in leagues, yes. but i dont think ive seen zone being played in a pick up game ever.
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #14
Pushxx
Pushxx

Pushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar.hands
any tips?
i got above arevage perimeter shooting, usually from the corner and wings, i cant dribble but when the defender tries to close in i always tend to fake my shot and attack the rim so i always get stripped, handchecking is allowed here though.
i also wanted to shoot over the big guys.

any help from you guys would be much appreciated.

Dunno what to tell you if you can't dribble well. I keep the ball low and get to my spot. Find a cutter or shooter if you can't get to the rim. Don't hold the ball. Make a move quickly. Take open space in front of you or shoot a shot you can make quickly.

Practice your handles so you can slice through holes in zone which is so easy in pick-up. I shoot more jumpers against man-defense than zone actually.

I shoot a lot of floaters too since the middle is so open.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: