Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
ZenMaster
Whap'em

Default Re: NBA scorekeeper discussion. Im just that bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
I dont know. You cant make a shot go in that didnt. But you can make a miss not count. Especially when you can just say it was late. They dont even review the misses to see if it would have counted.

You are the stat keeper...and have been for years. Steve Nash is always cool to you and you know hes right behind Korvers all time record for 3 point percentage in a season. He baaaaaaaaarely gets it off from 60 feet. Rims out. He looks at you...and you know why...

You gonna count it?

I know what you mean and I'm sure it happens, but Battier ends the quote by saying other teams would count the missed shots, and I don't think all teams do that kind of stat keeping vs other teams.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
9erempiree
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteballa
Fantastic and very interesting read. It's posts like these that make it worth enduring the trolls and stans of ISH.

So are you saying you never knew this kind of stuff happens?

It's not new but it is something worth discussing because these Lebron fans are kids and they should know that score keepers stat pad for their favorite player. Heck, Lebron gives dap to the score keeper every game.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
9erempiree
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
I read that quote and I'm pretty sure that Battier meant that Morey told him his guys didn't count it, meaning that they don't count it in their "private" stats which they use to evaluate their players.
The official stat keepers wouldn't be allowed to do this, and I believe Battier answers Morey with "no but they do(count it) elsewhere".

Dumb.

If coaches are evaluating players, they could easily bring up the shot chart and see that a Battier heave from half court or 30 plus feet is at the end of the quarter.

If it's a good look there is no excuse for not evaluating that particular shot.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

In Miami its pretty even. On the Cavs Lebron was getting more assists at home even though he played more minutes on the road. At one point mid season it was 9.5 at home and like 7.5 on the road. Though its known that shooter dependant teams do better at home because of the backgrounds and all. But still. Big differences.

In Miami not so much.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
ZenMaster
Whap'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
Dumb.

If coaches are evaluating players, they could easily bring up the shot chart and see that a Battier heave from half court or 30 plus feet is at the end of the quarter.

If it's a good look there is no excuse for not evaluating that particular shot.

The thing discussed was the agents and players use of shooting percentages when negotiating contracts, thats why players don't shoot and the end of quarters.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #21
mugiwara
High School Starter

Quote:
Rondo gets 20 "assists".

http://www.nba.com/video/games/celti...nba/index.html

No less than 6 are just made up. Including one at 1:12 where Paul Pierce drives from like 30 feet out before scoring in traffic and Rondo is given the assist. Even in 2k they wouldnt give you that one. Play by 60s rules point guards would sue claiming manipulation to reduce their production...and with it their contracts.

Jason Kidd isnt trying to be a 12/6 player in his prime.

Wow, and for all to see. To be honest I'm in favour of assists from passes to the post. The Kg post up near the beginning where Rondo makes the effort to pass it in to I'm deep is not an assist but i wouldn't mind if it was because i love watching the post and even the entry pass i find beautiful. Its something you don't even see in some games these days.
mugiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #22
ballup
13.37 PER

Quote:
Rondo gets 20 "assists".

http://www.nba.com/video/games/celti...nba/index.html

No less than 6 are just made up. Including one at 1:12 where Paul Pierce drives from like 30 feet out before scoring in traffic and Rondo is given the assist. Even in 2k they wouldnt give you that one. Play by 60s rules point guards would sue claiming manipulation to reduce their production...and with it their contracts.

Jason Kidd isnt trying to be a 12/6 player in his prime.
I counted 6 too. When the "assisted" player makes a move such as a fake, dribble, and then a pull up, the assist shouldn't count.

The question I want to be answered is "should certain situations in which a pass to a scoring post player be counted as an assist?"
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #23
WayOfWade

I think I remember hearing about this back in 09/10 with Darren Collison. With CP3 injured, they would just pad DC's assist totals.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #24
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Ray Clay mentioned in an interview that Krause used to harrass scorekeepers to favor Stacey King because he was the "future of the franchise".

It would also be to some player's benefit to pad their stats (and for teams NOT to) because they have financial incentives in their contract clauses.

I think Magic got some bonuses for assists, Shaq had ft made incentives I believe.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #25
TimmyDuncan
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Chris Andersen swatted 117 shots in 38 games at home against only 58 blocks in 33 games on the road. It was as if he stepped into the Pepsi Center and suddenly turned into Larry Nance.

I think we should use more road stat when comparing player.
Even if nothing will replace watching games
TimmyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #26
Toizumi
veteran savvy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=B0YoXt-mnug

I can't watch the vid, because I'm at work, but if I'm correct this is some great homecooking by the Jazz scorekeepers/clock people. They don't start the clock, to give the Jazz some extra time. crazy.
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
Locked_Up_Tonight
Good college starter

Lose ball foul or defensive rebound? Varies from city to city....

Steal or block? Varies from city to city.... Think of it as the Karl Malone swipe... a move which Dirk uses a lot as well. Some cities say it is a steal, others give them a block....
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #28
Psileas
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZERUSS

Look no further than the available on video 1972 game of the Lakers vs the Bucks. The official rebound tally was: Kareem 20, Wilt 12. I remember having counted them and my own results were: Kareem 17 (1 coming arguably out of time, at the end of a quarter), Wilt 17.
Also, Kareem was unofficially credited with 9 or 10 blocked shots, while he actually didn't block more than 3-4. Wilt was correctly credited with 6.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #29
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Wow, and for all to see.

Yea...its not like they are hiding it. Its just flat out bullshit made up assists and they show them to you like you dont know any better.

Imagine the totals Cousy and Oscar had if measured the way they do Rondo?

I bet Cousy had 35 assist games by our standards.

One game cousy had 19 assists at halftime. Imagine the reaction here if Paul has a game with 26 assists at the half as Cousy may have by our standards.

One thing nobody can say about the old era is the assists are inflated. They are likely cut by more than the pace increased them. You had guys like Cousy on 119ppg teams getting 8 assists a night running for 50 fast break points.

Makes you wonder what guys are really doing these days clean.

I bet some of our top points are at 6 assists a night recorded honestly.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 07-29-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #30
mugiwara
High School Starter

Makes it even sadder that Dwight has never recorded over 1.9 assists a game being on a team were he offence ran through him. I realise that he would have had a lot of hockey assists because the offence was setup for a kick out swing, its still terrible.

then again maybe he didn't need those assist? lol

edit- also didn't Pau get a couple triple doubles to close out the season? hmmmm brb
mugiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: