Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Pistons Trade For Brandon Jennings

We got him at a good price. I actually really like this deal. I think Jennings, Stuckey, Smith, Monroe, and Drummond is a very good young core. Throw in KCP who has potential and it's even more exciting. That should scare some teams in the East. Jennings made it to the playoffs with far less talent last season. This is apparently why we kept so many people on the roster. I always had that feeling that Joe D didn't want to go forward with the Knight experiment.

Quote:
The Detroit Pistons have reached an agreement in principle to acquire Brandon Jennings in a sign-and-trade deal with the Milwaukee Bucks, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Pistons are finalizing a three-year, $24 million contract with Jennings, sources told Y! Sports. Detroit will send guard Brandon Knight, forward Khris Middleton and center Slava Kravtsov to the Bucks, sources said.

Jennings, 23, averaged 17.5 points and 6.5 assists in 80 games for the Bucks last season. He was the 10th overall pick in the 2009 NBA draft and has spent his first four seasons with the Bucks.

Jennings would be the Pistons' second big free-agent acquisition of the summer. They earlier signed former Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith to a four-year, $54 million contract. Longtime Pistons point guard Chauncey Billups also has returned to Detroit on a two-year contract.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Pistons Trade For Brandon Jennings

Our starting lineup is insanely more talented than last year. Love the move. Jennings is a huge gamble, but we have to gamble on talent. Cheeks did a really good job making a raw talent in Westbrook into more of a pure PG than he was(not that he's Nash now, but you know). Jennings is a different style player than Westbrook, don't get me wrong, but I think Cheeks can help him pass a little more and shoot long 2s a little less.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's not like he's ever had legit big guys to play along his side either. It might help him to get to the rim. If people cheat off he's got guys who can help. Chauncey wasn't a good PG (so they said) until he came to Detroit. I think at 8 million per season and with the kind of talent he has this is a great deal. This team actually has some depth.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputationZMonkey11 has decent reputation

smh. smfh.

What did we need after we got Josh Smith?

Outside shooting, a point guard who can run an offense, and spacing. You could arguably say we needed perimeter D, but with a stout interior D, I can let that slide.

What did we just do? We traded a small, young PG that can't really run an offense with an outside shot for a small, older PG that can't really run an offense and doesn't have an outside shot. And the younger kid was probably better on defense (and that's not saying much.)

Here is to hoping they give Billups that team option next year so he can continue to coach this knucklehead.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

picked this off the "other" forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHndbNPYi0

Yea, that tells the story. Thanks Joe D. Love ya. Please go.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Aussie Dunker has decent reputationAussie Dunker has decent reputation

I would of loved to see what Knight could have done in his 3rd year - the year where almost every point guard makes giant strides... His outside shooting and physical tools at the PG are already good, just needed to learn how to be a floor general which was the beauty of bringing Billups back...

Jennings has insane talent, and can still pretty much be anything he wants. Hopefull Cheeks and Billups can tutor him away from taking too many shots and turn him into a pass first PG - in which I think his speed, handles and vision would allow him to thrive in this front court heavy Team.

DD24 - You are exactly right in mentioning he has not really had front court scorers to play with. He should be able to hook up with them easily and often.

ZMonkey - Knight was a long 6'3, by no means a small PG. And that Vid you posted is obviously a cause for concern, but tat the same time, he has never really had too many options at the Bucks. Hopefully this changes with the system we will be running
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
smh. smfh.

What did we need after we got Josh Smith?

Outside shooting, a point guard who can run an offense, and spacing. You could arguably say we needed perimeter D, but with a stout interior D, I can let that slide.

What did we just do? We traded a small, young PG that can't really run an offense with an outside shot for a small, older PG that can't really run an offense and doesn't have an outside shot. And the younger kid was probably better on defense (and that's not saying much.)

Here is to hoping they give Billups that team option next year so he can continue to coach this knucklehead.

I think Jennings has better handles and he can create better. I'm not sure his assist numbers will necessarily go up because Monroe and Smith both rack up their share of those two but I do think the ball will move much better. People think these guys just chuck shots but especially in the case of Jennings he really hasn't had a solid team around him.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

I think we all had our concerns with Knight. As soon as they traded for Calderon I knew there was something going on. I've said it a million times. That didn't speak well to what they thought his ceiling was. Obviously he was in the rumors for Rondo and he just got traded for Jennings. This was one of the 3 guys they said was untouchable too (along with Monroe and Drummond). That was supposed to be our core. Well, I think most people would view this as an upgrade. Management obviously had concerns and PG is such a crucial position with the new rules. It also speaks volumes to what they think about Trey Burke.....
Old 07-31-2013, 01:40 AM   #9
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I think Jennings has better handles and he can create better. I'm not sure his assist numbers will necessarily go up because Monroe and Smith both rack up their share of those two but I do think the ball will move much better. People think these guys just chuck shots but especially in the case of Jennings he really hasn't had a solid team around him.

I have a Milwaukee bucks fan that shitted a brick when the Bucks offered Jennings an offer. He cursed the FO. We had made a bet to see who would have the better record, Bucks or Pistons, and once the Bucks sent out that offer, he wanted to rescind that bet, and I obliged.

Now he laughs at me. I can only go by what a person that is a die hard bucks fan can go by, and he says Jennings is a plague.

I will keep my hopes up that Billups can guide the kid. An influence like that can help a lot in the locker room. But from what I have seen of Jennings play and what my friend has told me about Jennings, my feeling is your thoughts on Jennings are misguided because we've had such sorry guard play in the last 4 years.

And yes, I think it's an upgrade. But to what end? Does having Jennings push us into title contention? Highly doubtful. This only gives us a worse pick in the draft. What's the point of that? These are moves for Joe D to save his ass from the imminent firing that was coming.

To hoping you guys bring this up in 9 months and say I was horribly wrong. I will happily eat my words.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 AM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMonkey11

And yes, I think it's an upgrade. But to what end? Does having Jennings push us into title contention? Highly doubtful. This only gives us a worse pick in the draft. What's the point of that? These are moves for Joe D to save his ass from the imminent firing that was coming.

I've been all about this team getting better draft picks lol. With the signing of Smith we were probably out of the lottery. I don't think this signing makes us a contender, but it puts us back into the thick of things. I think we're nearly at that stage that we were at before we added Sheed and he put us over the top. We're still a move away, or we really need Drummond and KCP to be huge suprises and develop very fast. This team is so young, Jennings included. I think it's going to take a few years for them to grow.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Chemistry is indeed a fair question, but considering the Pistons got two players for far less than they felt they’d command on the open market — Smith wanted a max contract and Jennings wanted $12 million per season — they should have two players with things to prove to the NBA at large.

A willingness to silence critics should make potential sacrifices a lot easier in what’s an interesting mix of talent, youth and experience in the Pistons’ locker room.

The last time the Pistons changed three starters so dramatically in one offseason was in 2002 when they signed Chauncey Billups as a free agent, traded mainstay Jerry Stackhouse for some unknown guard named Richard Hamilton and plucked Tayshaun Prince late in the first round for what was a bad 2002 draft.

-- Detroit News
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Brandon Knight's ceiling is probably Brandon Jennings current level. So I like it. I didn't really care for Middleton or Slava anyways and Knight was a turnover machine.

Billups mentoring Jennings seems to be much better than Billups mentoring Knight.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Good Grantland article on the subject

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...il-the-pistons
Old 07-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

If you could trade our roster for Indiana's, would you do it? What about New York?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #15
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
If you could trade our roster for Indiana's, would you do it? What about New York?

Indiana, yes. New York, no.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: